CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Dymag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Dymag

Can somebody with Dymags please chime in on whether this statement is true or not....

Originally Posted by m-concept
The Dymag wheels are beautiful, but they cannot withstand everyday use . They will eventually shatter and safety is an issue.
Maybe Evosport can ask a Dymag distributor (Rennworx, etc) about the road durability of the Dymags.

I always thought the outer CF barrel was the strongest part, whereas the magnesium center was the part the broke, and only under extreme circumstances such as a crash. Everyday potholes in the road should make no difference in the strength of a Dymag IMO.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by pshek
Can somebody with Dymags please chime in on whether this statement is true or not....

Maybe Evosport can ask a Dymag distributor (Rennworx, etc) about the road durability of the Dymags.

I always thought the outer CF barrel was the strongest part, whereas the magnesium center was the part the broke, and only under extreme circumstances such as a crash. Everyday potholes in the road should make no difference in the strength of a Dymag IMO.
Wheel Enhancement is the distributor why don't you call them. FWIW, Dymag has reengineered the spoke section of the wheel that was flexing on the heavier cars.
Jimmy
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I run a set of Dymags on my Black Series. I put close to 4000 hard miles on them since February. I did encounter a slight (very small) problem with the rear wheels, bit they did not shatter or even come close, it was basically an asthetic flaw where the spokes met the carbon barrel. I would contact the distributor for the exact facts, but from what I understand they recently "re-formulated" the magnesium/aluminum blend for the spoke/hub section of the wheel to accomidate heavier loads/vehicles. That being said Dymag completely stood behind their product 100%, no questions asked and replaced my ENTIRE set of wheels. That goes a long way with me, I will be a Dymag customer for life.

As for performance, they are amazing, my wheels showed over a 25hp gain on the dyno over the stock wheels. I can notice better acceleration and braking on my vehicle as well.

One other note, I have had an aluminum wheel fail and shatter at highway speeds, so don't buy into all the "Carbon Fiber Horror Stories" out there. I even had a CF drive shaft made for my car, if you want the highest performance parts for your car order a set of Dymags.