CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Track brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Gentlemen:

Not sure if they make it for your toys, but I have tracked a C32 and a E55 and FRIED both of their stock brakes, aka fade and warped rotors.

I Switched BOTH cars over to EBC Redstuff "Occansional track use formula" and had NO brake fade at all during a 30 minute session. Note, the rotors actually survived as well. The stock pads, on these cars, are JUNK for track use. They absorbed WAY too much heat and fade easily, if you ddrive like you stole it.

EBC also makes a yellow stuff aka TRACK pad, made out of Kevlar, but it WILL require heat to work. Namely your first couple of stops are going to required a MUCH harder brake push. Note to self DO NOT allow wifey to drive on Yellow stuff.

Good luck, and let me know if you guys ever make it to Beaverun, Watkins Glen, or Mid Ohio as I will gladly meet up with you.

See yeah

PS: A SL63 and SL65 were both running on my last event with NO brake issues, however they were NOT pushing their cars hard at all.
The CLK Black is a different animal even in stock trim. No issues at all with brake fade with stock pads and long run groups. Even when pushed HARD.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
The CLK Black is a different animal even in stock trim. No issues at all with brake fade with stock pads and long run groups. Even when pushed HARD.
Tell that to Jrcart my friend

I think he would disagree with you.

See yeah

Note: Just pointing out some info that I had, not trying to stir the pot.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Tell that to Jrcart my friend

I think he would disagree with you.

See yeah

Note: Just pointing out some info that I had, not trying to stir the pot.
Jrcart from post #8 above:
I have been running stock pads and rotors without too many complaints, fade has been minimal.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Jrcart from post #8 above:
I have been running stock pads and rotors without too many complaints, fade has been minimal.
I guess you missed the first sentence my friend from the same post

"40 laps at Road America and I toasted 4 pads, warped the front rotors and spent a brand new set of Corsas, those 165 miles"

I think a pad change here is DEFINITLY in order

See yeah

PS: Hate to steal jrcarts quotes, but maybe he will chime in about the stock pads

Last edited by MRAMG1; 11-21-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
I guess you missed the first sentence my friend from the same post

"40 laps at Road America and I toasted 4 pads, warped the front rotors and spent a brand new set of Corsas, those 165 miles"

I think a pad change here is DEFINITLY in order

See yeah

PS: Sorry for stealing your quotes jrcart. How about chiming in about the stock pads
Actually you missed the point.

Jim is talking about a heavily modified CLK Black not a stock car.

The stock pads are not junk as you said and the solution for Jim is far more complicated than changing pads.

While the CLK Black hides it's weight very well, braking is one of the areas that it's 4000 lbs show up. If you push the car super hard on the track you will go through brakes just as you do in any track car. I know people that run their CLK Blacks multiple track days without needing tires or brakes but they don't push their cars.

I even commented above that I have gone through pads and rotors but I also know just how hard that I push the car and it is expected.

The CLK Black is by far the most out of the box track worthy car that AMG has produced to date. I wouldn't underestimate just how track worthy it is in stock form with stock components. Tires and brakes to me are consumables.

Go drive one on the track and you will see for yourself.....

My .02
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series

The stock pads are not junk as you said and the solution for Jim is far more complicated than changing pads.

While the CLK Black hides it's weight very well, braking is one of the areas that it's 4000 lbs show up. If you push the car super hard on the track you will go through brakes just as you do in any track car. I know people that run their CLK Blacks multiple track days without needing tires or brakes but they don't push their cars.

I even commented above that I have gone through pads and rotors but I also know just how hard that I push the car and it is expected.

The CLK Black is by far the most out of the box track worthy car that AMG has produced to date. I wouldn't underestimate just how track worthy it is in stock form with stock components. Tires and brakes to me are consumables.

My .02
AMG Dictator, which track(s) do you take your car to? Are you saying that you own a black series? You say you know people with black series that take their cars to the track. You are lucky, I only know one guy. I'd love to get together with you for some track fun and see you push your BS "super hard". Maybe all the other guys that you know can come too, for an all exclusive black series day.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

Point taken

I never said they were, I said C32 and E55 AMG pads are junk

Agree in full, but why not make a simple upgrade, if it is avaible

Love to, when can I meet you and yours

My .02

Hey its all good, I was just making a point that usually the stock pads, even a BS are a compromise for the average owner. Not ALL BS owners are going to track their car. Hence AMG knows this and makes a pad selection that is BEST for all around usage, NOT just the track my friend.

Oh well, to each his own. I was simply trying to make a point/fact that STOCK parts do have limitations, and are NOT always best. have fun

See yeah
Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series

My .02
for those of you who donlt know about Road America maybe you should look it up. Its the largest and fastest permanent closed circuit road course in the country just over 4 miles that I can lap at consistantly at a pace of 2:21 and have run a 2H19 it is fast, thre sections over 150mph followed by hard braking sections. My point was that the stock pads are decent enough for even heavy track use. There are not too many cars that could put in 40-45 hard laps at RA and not need a complete brake job as mine did, let's put it this way, if you run 40 laps at RA and don't go through a set of rotors you are probably driving too slow. Since I do drive my car on the street a full race compound pad is not an option for me, so IMO the stock pads work just fine even for track day use.