CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Is it just me or what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008 | 05:09 PM

WHT BS
Is it just me or what?

Does anyone else have the same sensation that I do? Under hard acceleration (In a straight line) I feel the back of the car becoming very unsettled. I almost feel that I have to counter steer in order to keep the car from fish tailing to keep it going straight. I have had several big Hp cars in my time and this is the first car that has done this. Is it just me (MY CAR) or what?
Old 12-15-2008 | 05:41 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Mine does that, up to about 50 or so. I have attributed this to the rear locker and the wide footprint causing the car to follow surface irregularities. It doesn't bother me much, as my 1953 Kurtis (also with a locker) on Hoosiers also does it. It does make my wife gasp, however. I haven't been bothered by it at all on track, but typically exiting low speed corners, one is already countersteering.
One thing I haven't done on the street is to turn the TC off and see if it is as apparant. I guess selective rear brake application could give the same feel. On the track, the TC is off.
This car steers more from the rear than any other car I have driven, and I find I like that. AS
Old 12-15-2008 | 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
AS, yours only does it up to 50? Mine does it up to 100 or more, I was watching my buddy drive my car while I was following him in my hauler on the way to MIR, he was doing little side to sides from 50 up to 100 mph. It was really cool to watch, the next thing I know my phone is ringing and it's him asking if I saw that, I laughed and said yes, then asked asked if I was mad LOL, I just laughed again and said there's no way he could beat on it as hard as I do no matter how hard he tried, the next thing I know he has it sideways on an uphill off camber right hander, smoke pouring off the tires and he made it look easy.

It is actually a very controlled feeling and really nothing to worry about. It gives the car character.
Old 12-15-2008 | 07:21 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
jr,
I must weigh more than you.
Right now, I'm just waiting for the weather to change. I am afraid it would have been unmanageable on the ice sheet called I94 today. AS
Old 12-15-2008 | 07:34 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
That's the first thing I noticed when I bought the car. None of my other cars did that. Doesn't bother me. Not sure if it has anything to do with the LSD, but more with suspension geometry. No need to counter steer when going in a straight line, just let it do it's thing and ride it out to 7200 rpm. Even going through a turn when the car starts to break away, it's very predictable and easy to catch. Just don't lift abruptly, because that will upset the car greatly. In third gear at around 5200 rpm it is most noticeable when the torque peaks. If you don't like that feeling, just short shift and problem solved.
Old 12-16-2008 | 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
I thought that wiggle came from the mismatched rear wheels on mine, then I got a pair that matched and it felt the same.
It also seems to happen more often when the tires on low on tread.
Old 12-16-2008 | 03:54 PM

E63 AMG
happens to mine its normal
Old 12-18-2008 | 04:20 AM

WHT BS
Thanks for all the insight. I guess I am happy that all our cars do this? . Unfortunatley I have not had the chance to take my car to the track (YET) but I certainly hope to do so very soon. Still excited every time I drive it, just wished that it didnt to the WIGGLE. Thanks again all.