CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Let the modding begin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
You can still get a lot of stuff done for $25-30k. Keep in mind I have choosen a modding path that goes two ways, road racing and drag racing. I was never much of a drag racer and to be honest when I started the project there where no plans for drag racing mods, it was not until I got sucked in by some of the other guys on this board and caught the drag racing bug. I think for around $30k you can do the springs, lightweight wheels (maybe not the Dymags), headers, ECU, rear brakes rotors, stainless brake lines, pulley, and intake mods. Don't hold me to that number, I would call evosport for an exact quote. Those mods would make night and day noticable changes in the performance of your car and would get you somewhere in the ballpark of 480-500rwhp depending on if you run cats and what type of fuel you get tuned for. If you want to pass on the headers for warranty or emmisions reasons I would then recomend the evosport CF aero package, it makes some very noticible improvments, especially in fast sweepers, a light feeling azz-end is one area that needed to be addressed, european versions had the option of an aero performance package.

Keep us posted on your progress

Thanks. Yeah, I've been discussing this with Simon at evosport and he's supposed to call me tomorrow. I'm definitely doing the ecu, intake, headers, and exhaust. But I'm probably not going to do the aero package because I think the CF lip throws off the looks of the front bumper...

As for the wheels, I'm not sure that I want to pay that much for the dymag wheels since I don't really like the way they look. While they probably perform the best, I would rather compromise a little on the weight and go with something that's more aesthetically appealing. Aside from the dmags and the HRE Comps, are there any other companies that make good lightweight wheels?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by slacker55
Thanks. Yeah, I've been discussing this with Simon at evosport and he's supposed to call me tomorrow. I'm definitely doing the ecu, intake, headers, and exhaust. But I'm probably not going to do the aero package because I think the CF lip throws off the looks of the front bumper...

As for the wheels, I'm not sure that I want to pay that much for the dymag wheels since I don't really like the way they look. While they probably perform the best, I would rather compromise a little on the weight and go with something that's more aesthetically appealing. Aside from the dmags and the HRE Comps, are there any other companies that make good lightweight wheels?
Forgeline makes a great lightweight forged wheel, they will custom build anythinig you want with any finish you want. They built me a set for my BS that I use for my drag slicks. They just built my friend a set for his 996tt and they are beautiful and very light, they can build you a set of 19's that will weigh in at around 20 pounds per wheel and best of all there prices are very affordable.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MB CLK Black Series
The previous owner of my BS had the EVO sport spacers and springs installed and it rides great and looks even better. Before I bought the BS I had EVO sport install CF wheel and a CF 5 piece set replacing the stainless steel I also had the Alcantera installed, they did a great job.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by toddturbos
The previous owner of my BS had the EVO sport spacers and springs installed and it rides great and looks even better. Before I bought the BS I had EVO sport install CF wheel and a CF 5 piece set replacing the stainless steel I also had the Alcantera installed, they did a great job.
You obviously never saw the car before you bought it. Stainless steel? Not even close.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Thanks for all the tips guys. Unfortunately, after hearing the sound of JT55's red BS, I have been forced to contradict myself yet again (my Alice handles fine stock anyway...)

Given its "intoxicating" sound-effect coupled with the "raging alcoholic" that I am, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on the EVO intake, ECU, headers and exhaust. Does anyone have any data on the performance gains I can expect with those mods?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
TTM is in Long Island, why not call them?
No more CF on that white car though, I might be tempted to steal it!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
TTM is in Long Island, why not call them?
No more CF on that white car though, I might be tempted to steal it!
I'm loyal to Auto Addiction so I'm probably going with them. My car's there right now anyway so why not?

As for the CF, I'm not planning on doing any aestehtic modifications aside from maybe painting the front side markers white and smoking the taillights.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Thanks for all the tips guys. Unfortunately, after hearing the sound of JT55's red BS, I have been forced to contradict myself yet again (my Alice handles fine stock anyway...)

Given its "intoxicating" sound-effect coupled with the "raging alcoholic" that I am, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on the EVO intake, ECU, headers and exhaust. Does anyone have any data on the performance gains I can expect with those mods?
Yeah, JRcarts cars has been pretty well covered here and you will have about 600hp. Stupid fast. I have driven JRcarts car on the track and it was pretty amazing. The handling was the most impressive by far but that had a lot to do with the Dymags and the suspension changes made by Evosport. His car is an absolute BEAST on a road course.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:03 AM

99 M3
Surprised none of you guys mentioned Fikse's..

Get the Profil 13 - similar style to the stock wheels!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:45 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by LZH
Yeah, JRcarts cars has been pretty well covered here and you will have about 600hp. Stupid fast. I have driven JRcarts car on the track and it was pretty amazing. The handling was the most impressive by far but that had a lot to do with the Dymags and the suspension changes made by Evosport. His car is an absolute BEAST on a road course.
Well Simon told me that with those upgrades I'll be looking at roughly 475 RWHP. Since I can't find any wheels that I really like, I'm also going to get the spacers for now.

Any other "goodies" that I should consider adding along with the intake, ECU, headers, exhaust, and spacers?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:10 AM

I WALK...
have you looked into the CLK DTM wheels? Not sure about the weight/price, but it gives it a very clean look. And it holds a lot more rubber!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by 940*
have you looked into the CLK DTM wheels? Not sure about the weight/price, but it gives it a very clean look. And it holds a lot more rubber!
The DTM sizes are 8.5x19 and 10x20. They came with 255's and 285's rubber.
The 20's limit tire choices and the wheels are expensive.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Well I'm getting the spacers along with the performance mods so I guess I'll leave the stock wheels for the time being. I'm also getting the EVO rotors so hopefully that will help.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM

I WALK...
can't wait to see/hear the car when it's all done!

Had a neighbor with a CLK DTM back in Taiwan, and those wheels looks very clean, gives the car some character! But if your getting spacers the stockers will do!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:50 PM

I WALK...
The wheels on JT55's red BS are pretty sick too! I think the Black series looks great with those and DTM rims!

just my 2 cent
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM

08 CLK63 BS
can't wait to see/hear the car when it's all done!

Had a neighbor with a CLK DTM back in Taiwan, and those wheels looks very clean, gives the car some character! But if your getting spacers the stockers will do!!!
Me too...although I'm sure it will sound the same as JT55s. I'm still debating the wheel options but want to give it some time. Hopefully I'll find something I like that will perform.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
The only wheel you are going to find that will give you noticable performance over stock is the Dymag. All other aftermarket wheels might weigh a bit less but you will not notice any performance difference - they are purely cosmetic.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by LZH
The only wheel you are going to find that will give you noticable performance over stock is the Dymag. All other aftermarket wheels might weigh a bit less but you will not notice any performance difference - they are purely cosmetic.
Well I'm also considering renntechs. They claim that their wheels are 20 lbs for 19s...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I never understood the whole wheel thing. If what you want is .4 seconds off your lap time, then wider rubber can get you there. Bigger wheels and tires are heavier, so the weight benefit of "lighter" wheels is a coin toss. On the other hand, you will never be able to demonstrate the advantage on the street.
You can probably get all the performance gain you can feel from a realignment and ? spacers.
Every time I modify a car's power, I can notice the performance improvement for a few days, then it becomes "normal", and I wonder how much better it really is. In traffic, you can never use all of the stock horsepower. On the track, driving talent, alignment, and rubber outweigh all horsepower gains.
If it's looks, then spacers make a visible difference. Sound matters a lot, but I love the stock exhaust. Outside the car, people hear it. Inside, you can still talk at 70 mph.
But, I am still hoping for my first chance to see Jim's car, so I could be full of sh**.AS
Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 AM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
I never understood the whole wheel thing. If what you want is .4 seconds off your lap time, then wider rubber can get you there. Bigger wheels and tires are heavier, so the weight benefit of "lighter" wheels is a coin toss. On the other hand, you will never be able to demonstrate the advantage on the street.
You can probably get all the performance gain you can feel from a realignment and ? spacers.
Every time I modify a car's power, I can notice the performance improvement for a few days, then it becomes "normal", and I wonder how much better it really is. In traffic, you can never use all of the stock horsepower. On the track, driving talent, alignment, and rubber outweigh all horsepower gains.
If it's looks, then spacers make a visible difference. Sound matters a lot, but I love the stock exhaust. Outside the car, people hear it. Inside, you can still talk at 70 mph.
But, I am still hoping for my first chance to see Jim's car, so I could be full of sh**.AS
Well, I guess I'm just one of those people that have a strange need to be different. There's not much you can do to this car aethetically so I'm considering wheels mainly for that reason. But if I'm going to spend so much money on them, I might as well get something that performs better than stock ones...

But yeah...being that I got the spacers, I'm leaving the stock wheels for now. What kind of realignment are you referring to?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Me too...although I'm sure it will sound the same as JT55s. I'm still debating the wheel options but want to give it some time. Hopefully I'll find something I like that will perform.
Trust me. It WILL NOT sound the same as JT55's.

There are quite a few things that are done to the JT55's TTM-built BS that you won't have and a thing or 2 that you are doing that won't give you much performance gain regardless of what you were told.

You'll get to see that first hand when we have our little BS shootout.

Your loyalty is admirable.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Trust me. It WILL NOT sound the same as JT55's.

There are quite a few things that are done to the JT55's TTM-built BS that you won't have and a thing or 2 that you are doing that won't give you much performance gain regardless of what you were told.

You'll get to see that first hand when we have our little BS shootout.

Your loyalty is admirable.

Auto Addiction customers are loyal... On that note Auto Addiction also would not try to stray TTM Customers to change over to us. We also would not try to be-little Other shops knowledge, or start posting in an TTM Thread. Those are just boundries that should be respected. As this site is filled with daily drama, I wish to keep my game drama free.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by TuneTime
Auto Addiction customers are loyal... On that note Auto Addiction also would not try to stray TTM Customers to change over to us. We also would not try to be-little Other shops knowledge, or start posting in an TTM Thread. Those are just boundries that should be respected. As this site is filled with daily drama, I wish to keep my game drama free.

No disrespect meant. I wished you guys good luck on the build and offered a BS shootout when you were done on the AA thread.

This thread was started by slacker55, not AA so what's the beef?

I have no desire to "steal" your customers like you think.

The mod list that you have posted is just a small portion of what was done performance-wise to JT's car.

That isn't belittling. I know you guys are going to do a great job especially with the Evosport parts that fit awesome.

It's all good Jay!

Last edited by TTMotorsports; 05-05-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
What Luke is referring to is not only the overall reduced weight of the wheel but where the weight is on the wheel. The closer to the center/hub you can get the weight the better, the CF barrel on the Dymags allow the weight to be removed in the critiacal outermost area (rotating mass). Reducing the weight of the wheels with other aftermarket will increase performance slightly over stock, but not nearly to the extreme that a Dymag does.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
What Luke is referring to is not only the overall reduced weight of the wheel but where the weight is on the wheel. The closer to the center/hub you can get the weight the better, the CF barrel on the Dymags allow the weight to be removed in the critiacal outermost area (rotating mass). Reducing the weight of the wheels with other aftermarket will increase performance slightly over stock, but not nearly to the extreme that a Dymag does.
Hmmm...well I didn't pay much attention in physics class, but that does make sense. So aside from EVO and HRE, are there any other brands that employ dymag technology for their wheels?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Let the modding begin