CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Who wants to trade BS for SL63 for a week?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Whore
Who wants to trade BS for SL63 for a week?

Anyone in Malibu or Woodland Hills area want to trade cars for a week or less?

ME: 2009 SL63 - Black/Black, Lowered, Wheels, iPod, etc...
You: CLK63 BS, Any color, Wheels would be nice, iPod a must...

PM me if open to this. I did this with a C63 a few weeks ago, everything went fine.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
With all due respect, I can't understand why anyone would take you up on this offer? Seems like a HUGE risk to both parties in both liability and to each other's car! Do you draw up some sort of contract? My guess is there is a high probability that the traded car doesn't get treated as if it were your own? Call me but I'd take it to the track, the drag strip on a vacation........ but that's just me.

BTW: LOVE your SL!

Last edited by user z478747; 05-24-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by chuck z
Seems like a HUGE risk to both parties in both liability and to each other's car!
And if something goes wrong, the BS isn't easily replacable regardless what kind of contract there is...

So you decided to keep your car chuck?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by slacker55
And if something goes wrong, the BS isn't easily replacable regardless what kind of contract there is..?
....also true.
So you decided to keep your car chuck?
Depends, if someone wants it more than me, it's for sale otherwise not. I'm not actively trying to sell it at this time. It won't be so bad keeping it huh?
Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Whats the logic here ? You're thinkin you might want a BS, but just want to spend a week driving one in everyday situations before you make a decision ? Well, I can tell you this....just test drive one and all your questions will be answered very quickly. You know exactly what this car is made for after about 5 mins of driving. I'm happy to give you a ride in mine, but trading for a week ain't gonna happen.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Just to echo Luke's comments.

If you take a CLK63 for a short test drive, and don't find yourself being immediately captivated, then this car probably isn't for you.

It has a distinctly different personality from all other AMG models that I have driven. That's not to say that it's better than the other models, it just is designed for a different purpose than the other models.

Driving the car should immediately let you know whether this vehicle is for you or not. The very first time I experienced the brakes and the suspension, I knew I wanted one.

Hope you have the same reaction . . .

JDB
Old 05-24-2009, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
That CLK BS is gonna get mashed on hard lol.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:50 PM

Couple AMG's
Originally Posted by The Godfather
+1
Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Well I'm sure both cars would get beaten on, but I just don't think that an SL63 and a CLK BS is a "fair trade" simply because the BS is so much more difficult to replace if anything were to go wrong.

So if I were to trade cars for a week, it would have to be something more (e.g. Superleggera, Scuderia, Reventon, Veyron, etc ). Otherwise, it would require an additional incentive (e.g. complimentary hot chick(s), vegas comps, etc...)

Last edited by slacker55; 05-24-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Well I'm sure both cars would get beaten on, but I just don't think that an SL63 and a CLK BS is a "fair trade" simply because the BS is so much more difficult to replace if anything were to go wrong.

So if I were to trade cars for a week, it would have to be something more (e.g. Superleggera, Scuderia, Reventon, Veyron, etc ). Otherwise, it would require an additional incentive (e.g. complimentary hot chick(s), vegas comps, etc...)
I think price wise, the two are comparable though, no? But I agree, one is uber rare and the other isn't. It's like someone with an S550 asking to trade my car for a week. No thanks.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I dont see why some of you are saying its rare? You can find a CLK63 BS available for sale any which way you look.
Its also not as if there were even many options to configure it with that you would have a hard time finding a like car.

There is no way that an SL63 is comparable to an S550 trade with an E55. You are so full of it. I hate to burst your bubble, but you have a 2003 E55, I actually think a trade with a 2007/8 S550 would be fair!

Last edited by Fantasm; 05-24-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore

Who do you think with those cars, would want something less, like your CLK63 BS?

I think an SL63 vs CLK63 BS is a fair comparison for a week or less trade. If you are all hung up on the car though, you're not the right person to do a trade as you won't be able to enjoy it.
My car is just as expensive as your CLK63 BS, even more if you bought yours used. I don't have a problem trusting someone to take care of it.

Why the hell would you bring it to the track or a drag strip? I didn't do any of that when I borrowed another members C63. I drove it around town for a few days and that was it. He did like wise. No damage on either car in any shape or form.

You guys all seem to like being Debbie Downers. We're all driving high end cars, we can safely assume that we're all adequately covered by insurance and have funds available to pay cash should any small damages occur.
The person who does the trade would obviously have to have an interest in driving a new SL63 and getting a feel for the transmission, etc for longer than just a quick test drive some place.

Last edited by Fantasm; 05-24-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 PM

08 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Fantasm
Who do you think with those cars, would want something less, like your CLK63 BS?

I think an SL63 vs CLK63 BS is a fair comparison for a week or less trade. If you are all hung up on the car though, you're not the right person to do a trade as you won't be able to enjoy it.
My car is just as expensive as your CLK63 BS, even more if you bought yours used. I don't have a problem trusting someone to take care of it.

Why the hell would you bring it to the track or a drag strip? I didn't do any of that when I borrowed another members C63. I drove it around town for a few days and that was it. He did like wise. No damage on either car in any shape or form.

You guys all seem to like being Debbie Downers. We're all driving high end cars, we can safely assume that we're all adequately covered by insurance and have funds available to pay cash should any small damages occur.
The person who does the trade would obviously have to have an interest in driving a new SL63 and getting a feel for the transmission, etc for longer than just a quick test drive some place.
I didn't mean to imply that the CLK BS is any "better" than the SL63. The SL63 is a fantastic car, but the CLK BS is limited and if anything were to happen to mine, which his white, it would be irreplaceable. Meaning it's very likely that the insurance company would NOT be able to find another white one to replace it with...

That's why I said that if I were to be willing to trade mine, I would expect more...just to make up for the risk that I would be taking. But that's not to say that you won't be able to find someone that will be happy to take you up on your offer.

And I hope you do. A "week-long test drive" means a helluva lot more than a dealer testdrive IMO. So I hope you find someone that's willing to trade and I apologize if I offended you in any way. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350

There is no way that an SL63 is comparable to an S550 trade with an E55. You are so full of it. I hate to burst your bubble, but you have a 2003 E55, I actually think a trade with a 2007/8 S550 would be fair!
No i dont think it would be fair.........not hating on the E. But that car is 4+ years older and MSRP was/is alot lower than the S550 when new.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Don't be butthurt foo. You got all sad lol. It's not like I said "trading a CLK BS for an SL63 would be like trading an M3 for a Honda Civic." Godamn, relax. The point I was making was that one was more special than the other (not to take away from the other less special, the SL, which is nonethless a very special car).

Don't be sad.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 AM

08 CLK63 BS
I think price wise, the two are comparable though, no? But I agree, one is uber rare and the other isn't. It's like someone with an S550 asking to trade my car for a week. No thanks.
I agree that the prices are comparable. But just to clarify for Fantasm the argument we're making, here's an analogy:

The "CLK63 BS" is to a "SL63" as a "Rare Silver Dollar Coin" is to a "Dollar Bill." While both are technically worth a dollar, there's more risk in losing the coin than the bill since the coin is more difficult to replace.

So in a trade, it's not a matter of one party getting the worse end of the deal in terms of "value." It's a matter of one party getting the worse end of the deal in terms of "risk."

BTW: This is the first time seeing you on the BS forum Godfather. You thinking of getting one?

Last edited by slacker55; 05-25-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:55 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Check with your local dealer and ask them how long it will take to get replacement body panels for a CLK Black Series, then ask the same question for an SL63 and you will quickly find out which one is more "rare". Not to mention the fact that if something did happen, you'd have a CLK BS put together and painted by a body shop which IMO greatly affects the value of the vehicle.
Once again, if after a 30 minute test drive you are not sold on the BS, then chances are it's not the car for you. It's not gonna take a week of daily driving to convince you one way or another. Personally, I like mine so much, I'm thinkin about buying another
Old 05-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Esh

E55
The guy just wants to experience the other "new" AMG cars.

If he wanted to buy a CLK BS instead of a 2009 SL63 I'm sure he would have.

As he said, if the "risk" is not worth it to you, then this is not for you.

Personally... I would not trade cars, but that's just how I am about my cars. I have a hard enough time letting friends drive.
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by LZH
Once again, if after a 30 minute test drive you are not sold on the BS, then chances are it's not the car for you. ...
No way does it take 30 minutes to "be sold" ... but you already knew that.

I don't think he's deciding about buying it though, he just wants to drive one for a week.

It may be a reasonable option for someone, but you make good points about the time involved in a repair and the lost value.
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by LZH
Check with your local dealer and ask them how long it will take to get replacement body panels for a CLK Black Series, then ask the same question for an SL63 and you will quickly find out which one is more "rare". Not to mention the fact that if something did happen, you'd have a CLK BS put together and painted by a body shop which IMO greatly affects the value of the vehicle.
Once again, if after a 30 minute test drive you are not sold on the BS, then chances are it's not the car for you. It's not gonna take a week of daily driving to convince you one way or another. Personally, I like mine so much, I'm thinkin about buying another

Nice Luke you getting one all ready for me
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
BTW: This is the first time seeing you on the BS forum Godfather. You thinking of getting one?
Maybe some day in a couple of years... I was thinking Quattroporte but i'm ruling that out slowly. I drove a Nissan GTR yesterday and that was pretty badass... I wonder how the BS is.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by LZH
Once again, if after a 30 minute test drive you are not sold on the BS, then chances are it's not the car for you.
It only took me less than 5mins and i'm already sold not to mention the cars stance and potential. Just look at JT55's.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I highly doubt that anyone will take you up on your offer, for various reasons. Here is one, that happened to a friend of mine last weekend. My friend, who owns a GT3, lets one of his friends, who owns a 997S drive the car while sitting next to him. Long story short, after less than 3 minutes the car jumped a curb, destroying in the process: 2 wheels and tires, front bumper/spoiler, right side radiator, bent spare tire compartment and rocker panel. When the dealership starts taking the car apart, there might also be some suspension damage. Here is why it happened. A run of the mill 997, apart from all the driver aids imagineable, has also so much understeer dialed in, that even the most inexperienced driver will hardly run out of talent. In a GT3 however, the driver has to do the correcting. No offense, but the same applies to SL63 versus CLK63 BS.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
I was being facetious. The track/dragstrip will be the street. In my opinion, you'd have to be a fool to trade your car to a person you don't know? I'd like to hear the conversation with your insurance agent should something bad happen. Damage to your car is one thing but property damage or injury (or worse?) to a third party would really complicate things. This is a idea to say the least!

.......until something happens and it comes time to pay?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by SMP
I highly doubt that anyone will take you up on your offer, for various reasons. Here is one, that happened to a friend of mine last weekend. My friend, who owns a GT3, lets one of his friends, who owns a 997S drive the car while sitting next to him. Long story short, after less than 3 minutes the car jumped a curb, destroying in the process: 2 wheels and tires, front bumper/spoiler, right side radiator, bent spare tire compartment and rocker panel. When the dealership starts taking the car apart, there might also be some suspension damage.
My point exactly and these two know each other! Wonder who's insurance is going to cover this one? What about reduced value of the GT3 b/c of the damage? What about the higher rates the owner will pay b/c of a claim? Worth the fun? I don't think so..........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who wants to trade BS for SL63 for a week?