CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Dealer "sort of" killed my Black after Service A

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yugo
Question Dealer "sort of" killed my Black after Service A

Hi everyone,

I got my Black back from Service A 3 days ago. Well, the car does not sound right anymore.... Prior I brought the car in, the car engine sounded like a diesel .... but the car still performs the same. Anyway, dealer replaced all lifters, gasket, valve tappets, etc. Now the car is quieter than my S sedan when I first start the car in the morning. I also notice the car (while in Parking) would not go over 3000 RPM when I step on the gas paddle.... Was the car set up like this?? I don't quite remember. I called the service advisor and he told me the car has a limiter. What limiter is he referring to? I need help from the Black owners. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Uh oh, this happened on my E36 M3 a few years back. Car was at 25k, running great....took it to the dealer to get a new windshield fluid pipe replaced (yes, that simple) and when I picked it up the car didn't sound right at all....never did figure it out and it remained until I sold the car at 70k.

Best of luck is all I can say....I learned to steer clear of stealers for anything other than routine servicing...
Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
There are a few threads here discussing noisy tappets on the 63 motor. Apparently oil flow is the issue but the dealers have all sid it is "normal". I think one other member was going to get his replaced on his E63.
Did you ASK the dealer to diagnose the noise you refer to aa diesel sound ?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by uscblack63
Hi everyone,
... I also notice the car (while in Parking) would not go over 3000 RPM when I step on the gas paddle.... Was the car set up like this?? ....
Yes, it's set up like that so you don't blow it up in Park.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:09 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
I'd like to hear more about the bucket tappets/lifters being replaced. From you screen name, it looks like you goto USC. I'd like to know which dealer did this under warranty. If one dealer does it, they all have to....

EDIT:
Take a look at this thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ghlight=bucket

Last edited by LZH; 06-22-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Yugo
Thanks very much for your replies (transferred, LZH, DFW01E55). I am so bummed right now... Anyway, I will bring the car back again to the dealer. I live in Southern California. The dealer's name is SiverStar in Thousand Oaks/ Westlake Village who performed the replacement lifters and Service A.....(Now I rather have the diesel sounding engine than what I got now) Yes, I got my master of science from USC almost 10 years ago. Will keep u guys posted. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM
LZH
Banned

Gotcha....
You should not be bummed that they did the work and you now have a quiet engine at idle. The "diesel" sound you refer to is not ideal...
Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 PM

2011 C63
the fact that the diesel noise went away is a good thing. the buckets collapse or bleed the fluid out and it starts making noises like that. It sounds like they fixed the car though.

Last edited by TTAMG; 06-23-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 PM

Yugo
Thanks TTAMG. Well, the diesel engine noise came back last night after a hundred miles of driving.... (just normal driving but in high RPM) This time the noise is not quite as loud as before but very annoying.. I did not bring the car back to the dealer but now I think I will (but this time with a heavy heart). Redline Oil you suggested I will mentioned it to the dealer.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
uscblack63
What brand and weight of oil did your dealer use at the A service. Most dealers don't stock the correct 5-40 Mobile One ESP formula. I had a tappet noise issue after A service. drained and refilled and no more noise.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 PM

Yugo
Jim, That's a good point. I don't know what type and weight of the oil the dealer use on my car. For sure I will ask tomorrow. But the fact now is the car is no longer make the "tune" I liked so much. My sister visited me yesterday and she told me she actually like the way the car sound (not too loud) . Hence I might sell the car to her..
Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 63 AMG Black Series
Very interested to hear the outcome. I have noticed a more pronounced "valve train" noise in the past couple of months. Wondering if this is the sound we're discussing? My concerns are that the dealer I purchased the car from sold 2 BS's. Mine and another guy who lives very close buy. His car came in a few weeks ago with oil spray all over the rear bumper. Originally, the techs thought he may have run through some road schmuts. Turns out, both mufflers were filled with oil. I am allowed in the bays to talk to the techs personally because of my friendship with the owner. I asked wether or not they had found the problem. Only to hear that MB had told them to tell the owner to drive the car for 6800 miles to see if the problem would remedy itself. They had to pull the exhaust off the car from the Cats back and drain the oil accumulated. My first thought was, I would never drive a car 6800 miles to "see if the problem would remedy itself". After the car was put back together. They started it up and the noise from the engine bay was similar to that of a diesel. Not saying the two are related. But interested to hear the out come. Especially since my BS is starting to sound like a Caterpillar Bulldozer. Also not trying to alarm anyone.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 PM

Yugo
Originally Posted by MMC2488
Very interested to hear the outcome. I have noticed a more pronounced "valve train" noise in the past couple of months. Wondering if this is the sound we're discussing? My concerns are that the dealer I purchased the car from sold 2 BS's. Mine and another guy who lives very close buy. His car came in a few weeks ago with oil spray all over the rear bumper. Originally, the techs thought he may have run through some road schmuts. Turns out, both mufflers were filled with oil. I am allowed in the bays to talk to the techs personally because of my friendship with the owner. I asked wether or not they had found the problem. Only to hear that MB had told them to tell the owner to drive the car for 6800 miles to see if the problem would remedy itself. They had to pull the exhaust off the car from the Cats back and drain the oil accumulated. My first thought was, I would never drive a car 6800 miles to "see if the problem would remedy itself". After the car was put back together. They started it up and the noise from the engine bay was similar to that of a diesel. Not saying the two are related. But interested to hear the out come. Especially since my BS is starting to sound like a Caterpillar Bulldozer. Also not trying to alarm anyone.
I did not have the mufflers filled with oil. The dealer did replaced a set of lifters on my car. They did tell me to push the car a bit harder than the way I used to drive. Well, I did not have the luxury as other black series members to take to car to the track. The first 500 miles after Service A, I was ready to ditch the car. No, the performance is still the same just does not sound right. But after about 2000 miles of "high RPM" (it made me feel like a stupid kook) driving, the diesel noise is gone. Cold start noise, I like so much, is back to the way it was. Oh, by the way, they did put in the wrong type of oil as Jimmy mentioned. I did drained the oil and put in the correct one. Thanks Jimmy!!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I find it hard to believe that a dealer doesn't carry 5w40 maybe it would be easier if you just gave them the part#

Q-1-09-0142
Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Yugo
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
I find it hard to believe that a dealer doesn't carry 5w40 maybe it would be easier if you just gave them the part#

Q-1-09-0142
The dealer I went to uses 0-40 oil (?) according to the service advisor. Well, thanks for the part number. Next service I might just bring my own just in case.

Last edited by uscblack63; 07-10-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: not sure it's the right information
Old 07-10-2009, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Q-1-09-0142
Believe it Jon! The test is ask the parts department first.. before the service .
You may get 5-40 but not the ESP.
Jimmy
Old 07-10-2009, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Unless a black series is different than every other Benz 040 is ok to put in the vehicle. The difference in the 540 ESP is for use in the new MB diesels. Check your factory approved services booklet. It should tell you the oils you can use in your vehicle. You probably drained it for no reason, but I doubt it matters much to you ;p Jim I don't know why they wouldnt have it unless the dealer is cutting costs by sourcing the oil from somewhere else.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 07-10-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by uscblack63
I did not have the mufflers filled with oil. The dealer did replaced a set of lifters on my car. They did tell me to push the car a bit harder than the way I used to drive. Well, I did not have the luxury as other black series members to take to car to the track. The first 500 miles after Service A, I was ready to ditch the car. No, the performance is still the same just does not sound right. But after about 2000 miles of "high RPM" (it made me feel like a stupid kook) driving, the diesel noise is gone. Cold start noise, I like so much, is back to the way it was. Oh, by the way, they did put in the wrong type of oil as Jimmy mentioned. I did drained the oil and put in the correct one. Thanks Jimmy!!
Glad to hear. I do track my car, and was worried the noise was a byproduct of abuse. I intend on tracking the car repeatedly, so this thread had some interest to me. Hope everything is copasetic with your ride. Info is info.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unless a black series is different than every other Benz 040 is ok to put in the vehicle. The difference in the 540 ESP is for use in the new MB diesels. Check your factory approved services booklet. It should tell you the oils you can use in your vehicle. You probably drained it for no reason, but I doubt it matters much to you ;p Jim I don't know why they wouldnt have it unless the dealer is cutting costs by sourcing the oil from somewhere else.
Jon,
This issue was beat to death on the PL. FWIW, AMG changed the specs and it's not in the factory booklet as it states to use only approved engine oils & Refer to the Factor approveed Service Pamphlet. When the largest MB dealer in the US doesn't know what the right oil is, I'm pretty confident they are not the only ones confused as "uscblack63" dealer put in the wrong oil also!

You are giving a lot of credit to dealers who buy in bulk and not to the gear heads who read the Factory Approved Service Products Pamphlet. If I'm a dealer and have 2000 gal of 5-40 I'm not going to dump it in the storm drain when the specs change. Most E350 owers will never know.

The MB spec for 229.5xxx is the Formula ESP for gasoline and diesels. Not all the Mobile one 5-40 conforms to the spec. I drained it becasue it was the wrong oil which the dealer was glad to change.
Jimmy
Old 07-11-2009, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
I read the thread there too just to see what they had to say. MB definitely didn't let the dealers know and still haven't properly. They should require the dealers to carry both. There seems to be a miss communication with MBUSA/AMG Germany. I read the info posted by MBUSA saying that 5W40 was the replacement of 0w40 and that it is 100% backwards compatible and that 040 was fine in all vehicles minus diesels, but now AMG is saying to use 0w40 on other vehicles. I still don't see any info on what the difference is and what harm could be done using the diffident oils. I have actually used both types of oil in my car and put the wrong kind in my girls car (ESP). I doubt it will matter either way, but it's good to know. Anyways thanks for the info hopefully MBUSA gets this straightened out.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:43 AM

Yugo
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Jon,
This issue was beat to death on the PL. FWIW, AMG changed the specs and it's not in the factory booklet as it states to use only approved engine oils & Refer to the Factor approveed Service Pamphlet. When the largest MB dealer in the US doesn't know what the right oil is, I'm pretty confident they are not the only ones confused as "uscblack63" dealer put in the wrong oil also!

You are giving a lot of credit to dealers who buy in bulk and not to the gear heads who read the Factory Approved Service Products Pamphlet. If I'm a dealer and have 2000 gal of 5-40 I'm not going to dump it in the storm drain when the specs change. Most E350 owers will never know.

The MB spec for 229.5xxx is the Formula ESP for gasoline and diesels. Not all the Mobile one 5-40 conforms to the spec. I drained it becasue it was the wrong oil which the dealer was glad to change.
Jimmy
Jimmy,
I do too giving too much credit to the dealer. Thanks for the wonderful info.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:27 PM

14 E63 Wagon
Any experience with Mercedes Manhattan? My car is due for its first service (time not mileage) and MB Manhattan is factory owned so I assume they are good. Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:18 PM

CLK63 AMG BS
Jon,

Jimmy
Jim,

Will you point me to the thread? I found one where they said they would provide specifications and then I found another where they said 5W-40 for M156 engines ("63er models"). Did they ever give more direction than that.

I can't believe there is this much confusion over oil. I saw where JonMBZ said the part number for the oil is Q-1-09-0142, but I was told it is Q-1-09-0135. Did the part numbers change? I also see on the Mobil website where they say the proper oil for the BS is 5W 30????

Common, why so hard? Just to be sure, the correct oil is Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W 40, right?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Believe it Jon! The test is ask the parts department first.. before the service .
You may get 5-40 but not the ESP.
Jimmy
+100000

Most dealers carry Mobil 1 5W-40, which is the wrong oil to use for the 63 models. Mobil 1 5W-40 is designed for late model diesels and trucks. The correct oil to use is: Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40. This oil was designed specifically for Mercedes-Benz, so it is not readily available in stores. There are some wholesalers online that will sell it in small cases to consumers, but aside from that, it is hard to get hold of.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
+100000

This oil was designed specifically for Mercedes-Benz......
so what does that mean?....did they actually engineer the oil from scratch from specific crude only found only in Kamchatka?....or did 3 guys get together in a room and have a 5 minute meeting where they unanimously decided that Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 would be the oil for MB 63 models cuz they got a free dinner from Mobil 1?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer "sort of" killed my Black after Service A