CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Spare ECU question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Spare ECU question

I posted this in the C63 forum but didn't get a response:

This goes out to the few of you with spare ECUs. Is the ECU the same for the entire 6.2 line? I was reading somewhere that customers in Germany can get the S/SL 63 tune loaded for their C63. When buying the spare ECU, can you simply get the S/SL tune loaded? Or are the parameters far off due to the difference in exhaust? I suppose they will need the VIN from the S/SL, but I wonder if you know someone in parts/service, you could probably just get any VIN from an S/SL?

I just want back what Mercedes left out on the C63.

Last edited by Sincity; 08-03-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by Sincity
I posted this in the C63 forum but didn't get a response:

This goes out to the few of you with spare ECUs. Is the ECU the same for the entire 6.2 line? I was reading somewhere that customers in Germany can get the S/SL 63 tune loaded for their C63. When buying the spare ECU, can you simply get the S/SL tune loaded? Or are the parameters far off due to the difference in exhaust? I suppose they will need the VIN from the S/SL, but I wonder if you know someone in parts/service, you could probably just get any VIN from an S/SL?

I just want back what Mercedes left out on the C63.
The ECU's aren't really interchangeable, if that is what you are asking. You can't use an ECU from an SL and pop it into a C Klass.

It's not just the programming, but your ECU is tied to every other part of your car through VIn, hardware numbers, software numbers, etc.

Even if you had a spare ECU programmed for your car, it wouldn't work straight away as the car's security codes are rolling. So the new eCU would have to be 'sync'd' so to speak, before it would work.

I don't know if I answered your question, but let me know if I can help.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks. I believe you have. I thought the ECU in the engine compartment was only for engine management. On the other hand, can the engine management code from the S/SL be loaded onto a C ECU?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
You cannot do it. The ECU's are VIN coded. Therefore it will only work with the chassis it's coded for. If you want more power, get it tuned. That is the only option for US vehicles.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I believe the origional post on the C63 board suggested that it's possible in europe for a C63 to be loaded with an S/SL 63 would put out 525 horsepower! Factually, it won't. It would require a different exhaust and intake.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I believe the origional post on the C63 board suggested that it's possible in europe for a C63 to be loaded with an S/SL 63 would put out 525 horsepower! Factually, it won't. It would require a different exhaust and intake.
Good points as usual, Jimmy. It's not just software that needs to be replaced to get the hp. And as pointed out, all u have to do is pay for it from the Performance Studio. Too bad they can't figure out how to do make factory post sale mods avail in the US