CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Flat tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Didn't they bulldoze Cabrini?
They couldn't control the crime and drugs and all, iirc.
Or was it in preparation for the Olympics?
Ya, Cabrini Green is gone, I think one building remains, in its place are million dollar townhomes and condos. "The ghetto" now is pretty much anything south of 55/ MCCormick Place, Cabrini Green was always kind of outta place, it was pretty much Dearborn and Division street which is about two blocks from the gold coast which is some of the most expensive real estate in the country, never made much sense to me.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by jrcart
Cabrini Green was always kind of outta place, it was pretty much Dearborn and Division street which is about two blocks from the gold coast which is some of the most expensive real estate in the country, never made much sense to me.
....bet I can guess why it was there! Same reason there is subsidized housing too close to my neighborhood ......and the crime rate in the area continues to increase! Wonder why? But I digress...
Old 04-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
When they built it, Division Street was a neighborhood of eastern European immigrants. More spoke Polish than English, on certain blocks. On the half block east of the store I grew up behind, there was a Turkish bath house, a drug store, and 14 taverns.
Most people lived in 1-2 bedroom apartments, didn't have a car, and negotiated everything, including sales tax.
When they started Cabrini, Peurto Ricans were just beginning to enter the neighborhood. My guess is that the Irish and Italian forces wanted Cabrini far from their neighborhoods. Hyde Park, Little italy, and back-of-the yards were all American, so moving blacks north was moving them away.
It took a while for everyone to realize that the city had just built vertical ghetto's. But, while it started in the 50's, it didn't get really bad til the drug wave hit in the late 60's.
Tough problem, which many solved by moving to the burbs to raise kids. But when the kids went away, they were stuck in "Borington" and the push back to the Gold Coast began. AS