CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

S mode or M for best results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by jrcart
Very interesting data, thanks. FWIW at the strip from 0-130 or so S mode is consistantly .200-.250 seconds quicker and 2-3 mph faster than with me shifing the car in M mode. Ive got dozens of passes with VBox data to back up these claims. I'm not at all doubting your results from 60-130 because the transmission is prone to that pesky downshift in non optimum RPM range.
No doubt Jim, i'm just looking for the best possible gear for a given situation.

S on full throttle upshifts is going to be the optimal time but as you point out it's is the pesky down shifts that are unpredicable. More testing soon.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 63 AMG BS
I had the car for 2 weeks and here are my observations, please let me know if this is normal., I agree with the s mode and down shifting, as I noticed that when i am in M mode, I cannot upshift or downshift muliple gears in one shot meaning ( lets say i want to go from 5 to 3 and i click the paddle twice successively, it only goes to 4, and vice versa on upshifts) but when i am in sport mode, and when i do the later I can see the gear indicator go thru 5,4, 3 or vice versa . so is this normal, again these were my observations , i get the same results with the console shift , so i dont think its a paddle issue. one would think that in M mode i should be able to to from 5 to 3 in 2 quick clicks but no, i have to click once watch the gear chnge then click again to got to 3, some thing isnt right,,,,,,

any comments?

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
No doubt Jim, i'm just looking for the best possible gear for a given situation.

S on full throttle upshifts is going to be the optimal time but as you point out it's is the pesky down shifts that are unpredicable. More testing soon.

Last edited by gestut; 09-15-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by gestut
I had the car for 2 weeks and here are my observations, please let me know if this is normal., I agree with the s mode and down shifting, as I noticed that when i am in M mode, I cannot upshift or downshift muliple gears in one shot meaning ( lets say i want to go from 5 to 3 and i click the paddle twice successively, it only goes to 4, and vice versa on upshifts) but when i am in sport mode, and when i do the later I can see the gear indicator go thru 5,4, 3 or vice versa . so is this normal, again these were my observations , i get the same results with the console shift , so i dont think its a paddle issue. one would think that in M mode i should be able to to from 5 to 3 in 2 quick clicks but no, i have to click once watch the gear chnge then click again to got to 3, some thing isnt right,,,,,,

any comments?
Hold the paddle down on a downshift and it will downshift to the optimum gear needed for that corner, the cars ecu and tcu are smart. The instant you pull on the paddle the car knows what you are thinking, before you're done braking you're already in the gear you want to be in you can go from 6th to 2nd in a snap with just one pull of the paddle, no need for click, click, click just one cclliicckk and your going to come out in the gear you want.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:24 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
so if i understand you correctly, in Manual mode , just hold the Down paddle and it will go in the optimal low gear? or were you reffering to sport mode below?

Hold the paddle down on a downshift and it will downshift to the optimum gear needed for that corner, the cars ecu and tcu are smart. The instant you pull on the paddle the car knows what you are thinking, before you're done braking you're already in the gear you want to be in you can go from 6th to 2nd in a snap with just one pull of the paddle, no need for click, click, click just one cclliicckk and your going to come out in the gear you want.

Last edited by gestut; 09-15-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gestut
so if i understand you correctly, in Manual mode , just hold the Down paddle and it will go in the optimal low gear? or were you reffering to sport mode below?
Yes you are understanding correctly I am talking In M mode, but if you are cruising in S and then decide to downshift you can keep it in S but pull in the paddle and the car will do the same thing even in S but the the following upshifts will be in S mode not M, its actually a very nice system once you get used to it however the upshifts in M are a tad slow and the timing takes a little getting used to.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Once in a while you will find a corner on a track where you might want to short shift or not downshift all the way down to where the tcu takes you automatically for instance turn 8 at road america the tcu takes me all the way down to 2nd gear if I hold the paddle down but 2nd is not where I want to be, I actually want to be in 3rd so I'm not upshifting twice in the carousel so in that corner I just use the click click method. You will get used to it, it took some getting used to and learning what the car knows and doesn't know.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:00 AM

clk 63 AMG BS
Once in a while you will find a corner on a track where you might want to short shift or not downshift all the way down to where the tcu takes you automatically for instance turn 8 at road america the tcu takes me all the way down to 2nd gear if I hold the paddle down but 2nd is not where I want to be, I actually want to be in 3rd so I'm not upshifting twice in the carousel so in that corner I just use the click click method. You will get used to it, it took some getting used to and learning what the car knows and doesn't know.
understood every thing you said and agree, but i was just curious why it is behaving this way ... when S mode , i can click, click, click and it will go in to t3 gears down , but in M mode i do click, click, click, and it only goes to the next 1 gear only. I would expect this to do on M mode as well, have you ever tried that , again I observed this and I thought it was strange thats all