CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

BS down on the 5 in the OC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BS down on the 5 in the OC

I saw a silver BS with black wheels, that looked to be disabled, on the southbound side of the 5 fwy today, Sunday, at around 6:00 PM.

I hope it was nothing serious

G
Old 04-04-2011, 12:59 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
The only socal silver BS with black wheels that I know of is that kid that used to post here who wrecked 2 other BS. Prob him...Were they aftermarket wheels ? That's what he has...20's IIRC.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Guys, that was my car. Steve from Weistec was driving the car to the dyno when one of the brand new front wheels that evosport sold me cracked in half. Those are, or should I say those were the new drag wheels. What are the chances that one of you guys would have seen the car on the side of the road? Small small world. I'm not sure what brand those wheels were but as soon as I find out I will let everone know so that they can stay away. Those wheels were just monted on the car over the weekend and driven on for less than 20 miles. I will post up a pic when I get a chance, I'm posting from a phone right now.

Last edited by jrcart; 04-04-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
holy smokes, glad you are ok and I hope no additional damage was done!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

amg
Originally Posted by jrcart
Guys, that was my car. Steve from Weistec was driving the car to the dyno when one of the brand new front wheels that evosport sold me cracked in half. Those are or should I say were the new drag wheels. What are the chancesvthat one of you guys would have seen the car on the side of the road? Small small world. I'm not sure what brand those wheels were but as soon as I find out I will let everone know so that they can stay away. Those wheels were just monted on the car over the weekend and driven on for less than 20 miles. I will post up a pic when I get a chance, I'm posting from a phone right now.
Damn,it just gets better & better everyday w Evosport stories
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is a photo that Steve from Weistec sent me. As you can see the wheel literally split in half. I'm no expert but I don't think you should be able to see inner tire carcass from the outside of a wheel. As soon as I find out who the manufacturer of this wheel is I will be sure to post it up so everyone can stay away.
Attached Thumbnails BS down on the 5 in the OC-img_8803.jpegwheel.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Sorry to hear about that...any damage other than the wheel? I'm excited to hear about your s/c install and good luck with it...very interested on your feedback on its performance.

Jon
Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 156 Posts
SL55, S500
Here is a photo that Steve from Weistec sent me. As you can see the wheel literally split in half. I'm no expert but I don't think you should be able to see inner tire carcass from the outside of a wheel. As soon as I find out who the manufacturer of this wheel is I will be sure to post it up so everyone can stay away.
Damn, That's a first
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Wow, that's insane. Hope there was no other damage.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dynomite05
Wow, that's insane. Hope there was no other damage.
No other damages, Steve felt something as if a tire was going down and pulled over right away.

What keeps going through my head is what if we would not have hit rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon on the way to the drag event and decided to not make the trek to Famoso we would have been making 140mph passes on those wheels, it could have been real ugly.

Last edited by jrcart; 04-04-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
No other damages, Steve felt something as if a tire was going down and pulled over right away.

What keeps going through my head is what if we would not have hit rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon on the way to the drag event and decided to not make the trek to Famoso we would have been making 140mph passes on those wheels, it could have been real ugly.

Very true. I guess you have to look on the bright side because it could have been much worse.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

," Those are drag wheels and should not be used on public roads" .....hmmm so they are safe on a drag strip at 140mph but not on the 5 at 55mph? He also said "maybe the powder coating had something to do with it"...What??? powder coating causing a wheel to split in half with less than 20 miles of use? I've been powder coating car and motorcycle wheels for 20 years and have never heard of such a thing. has anyone else heard of powder coating causing a rim to split in half?

Last edited by jrcart; 04-04-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
we would have been making 140mph passes on those wheels, it could have been real ugly.
My first thought too! WOW!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Brads excuse," Those are drag wheels and should not be used on public roads" .....hmmm so they are safe on a drag strip at 140mph but not on the 5 at 55mph? He also said "maybe the powder coating had something to do with it"...What??? powder coating causing a wheel to split in half with less than 20 miles of use? I've been powder coating car and motorcycle wheels for 20 years and have never heard of such a thing. has anyone else heard of powder coating causing a rim to split in half?

Pass the buck. I see this thread getting soon. Mods should at least let members respond after the sponsor before locking the thread.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLA & 2017 GLE350
I noticed it by the Lake Forest On-Ramp.. I thought you were trying to go the Hooters again for last Saturdays Meet again..
Good Luck with it..
Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 PM

BENZO
drag wheels

I have been reading this thread and everything that has transpired with the supercharger, good stuff so far.

No to play devil's advocate but isn't a drag strip very smooth? Were you driving the car when it broke? COuld the person driving the car have hit a large pot hole or done something erratic? Are california roads well maintained?

anyhow those are just my initial thoughts. I have been racing bikes for a long time and rims we use to race are not rims I would use on a daily ride down a mountain because I know they are not as strong but they are lighter and make me faster on race day. Cars are different of course but in drag racing you are putting yourself at risk and if a rim is intended only to race down a smooth surface I do understand how it could break on the road when it is designed to be as light and fast as possible.

Of course it could also be a manufacturing issue and that would be easy enough to research via the web.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy
I have been reading this thread and everything that has transpired with the supercharger, good stuff so far.

No to play devil's advocate but isn't a drag strip very smooth? Were you driving the car when it broke? COuld the person driving the car have hit a large pot hole or done something erratic? Are california roads well maintained?

anyhow those are just my initial thoughts. I have been racing bikes for a long time and rims we use to race are not rims I would use on a daily ride down a mountain because I know they are not as strong but they are lighter and make me faster on race day. Cars are different of course but in drag racing you are putting yourself at risk and if a rim is intended only to race down a smooth surface I do understand how it could break on the road when it is designed to be as light and fast as possible.

Of course it could also be a manufacturing issue and that would be easy enough to research via the web.

Good luck.
Anything is possible and I'm not blaming evosport for the wheel failure. As you can see from the pic it is a clean break all the way around at a weld point, obviously some sort of manufacturing defect. A pot hole would have caused the rim to fail on the lip or near the bead most likely.

Last edited by jrcart; 04-04-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 PM

BENZO
agreed

Anything is possible and I'm not blaming evosport for the wheel, I just thought that Brads excuse for possibly the powder coating causing it was comical. As you can see from the pic it is a clean break all the way around at a weld point, obviously some sort of manufacturing defect. A pot hole would have caused the rim to fail on the lip or near the bead most likely.
agreed, the powder coating sounds like he was trying pretty hard and if it was the case you should have known that up front.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
I just tought i put in my 2 cents since ive modifued my wheel by changing the hoops and the offset on the same wheels a few times over the years. There is no way that powedr coating would cause that split. if anything because powder coating is charging the paint with one polarity and the base with another(+/-) it will add to the protection of the wheel. This wheel was simply not welded good enough on the hoop area, i'm not sure if its a 3 piece with rivits or 3 piece that was welded. ive seen that happen on 3 piece wheels because either the locking rivits werent properly lock ight or in case of weld they werent welded correctly. This can be cause due to a few things: not properly preping the serface before welding, not welding the spokes to the hoop perfectly centered or simply a bad weld job. again these are assumptions if this is a 3 piece welded wheel, if its a two piece or even a one piece and teh hoop just cracked like that, then its just down right crappy materials which is hard to understand becauser there are 3 companies that make hoops and they are all fairly godd and known, so the only other thing that comes to mind is that the wheel manufactorer polished the hoops down to shave off weight which in turn will make them super weak. hope that helped. best of luck and that is one sick BS
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Wow, so sorry to hear that! Glad nothing serious happened to the car & the driver!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
Unless the wheels were baked at too high of a temperature I would think powder coating would be a non-event.

Rich...dumb question but were/are the drag wheels DOT? I just ask this as you could have had a real problem if something more serious happened (thinking insurance)...anyways glad no one was hurt.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
It seems that baking wheels at the wrong temperature can damage the aluminum making it brittle and prone to cracking rather than bending. HRE told me this, and other aluminum people told me this too when I was shopping for a refinish. Other shops said nothing could go wrong arguing that all wheels are powder coated and when do you hear about problems regarding damage after powder coating?

Forged wheels might be more sensible to this as they are weight optimized compared to cast wheels that use more aluminum to compensate the lower quality.

Just my 2¢

Last edited by sprins; 04-04-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Out Of Control!

Holy smokes!!

Thought i've seen everything but this is the first. How many wheels were damaged? Just one i'm guessing? Did the split happen exactly in the middle? That's just crazy.

Hope you get everything worked out Rich.

GL
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Dammit Jim, what else could go wrong???? Gives a new meaning to two-piece wheel.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by sprins
It seems that baking wheels at the wrong temperature can damage the aluminum making it brittle and prone to cracking rather than bending. HRE told me this, and other aluminum people told me this too when I was shopping for a refinish. Other shops said nothing could go wrong arguing that all wheels are powder coated and when do you hear about problems regarding damage after powder coating?

Forged wheels might be more sensible to this as they are weight optimized compared to cast wheels that use more aluminum to compensate the lower quality.
Agree sprins, you're not supposed to power coat forged wheels, especially if the cure schedule is not followed properly, or the cure temp is too high to begin with.

Here's another related post: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ml#post4476777.

Not saying this caused the specific failure with jrcart's wheel, but I wouldn't do it when forged wheels are designed to be as light as they can be. Painting is a safer bet for forged wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BS down on the 5 in the OC