CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Black or the 63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast
Black or the 63?

For a long time ive been dying to get a real AMG-merc, "ye 'ol faitfull" (-06 E420-CDI) is starting to get old and i dont really need that big car. Looking at the topics here the problem is im not rich, actually quite far from it and running costs are a consern. Fuel, not that much.

I drive a lot at work, over 100k km / year so i'd like proper sports-car when im not stuck behind a wheel of a company C200CDI.
I had my eyes on SL55's but it seems they are more luxory cruisers and just checking the over-all pricerange of CLK's i was shocked, i still cant offord a 63 but if this decline keeps up, in a year or so i very well could! My old runabout left as a "wildcard" here, sold if i needed that extra ounce.
I'd be willing to travel far an wide in europe to pick up a car and it seems oddly cheap blacks pop up and no surprice, vanish soon after.

But, back to the point. Running costs, maintenance and maintenance intervals. How much difference is there in intervals and price of those between the black and the 63? Also, has there been any typical problems with eighter? I doubt any shops here stock up 63 spares much and i dont wanna end up with expensive suprices.
There is a very good shop here dedicated to mercs and bmw's tho, theres also a local retailer but their prices are, well... As the only retailer in 250km-range, they can charge whatever they want, and oh boy, they do!

The black does worry me too. This town is the promised land of speedbumps and the small roads are not that good. Theres even dirt roads where friends of mine live, quite good ones at that tho.
Even so, its a "race mod" of a allready not-that-usual car, the discomfort from the tight suspension i can manage if it pays back later
That said: My goal is also the rising popularity of trackdays, both would be quite suited as a trackday weapons and would sertainly be used as such. But how much maintenance will that bring me? Tires i can imagine and so, but friend of mine had a factory-tuned EVO9 that literaly needed a new engine after few months and had hilarious service-intervals.
He fullfilled hes lifelong dream and bought a Ferrari later, took it to track a few times and the suspension looked as if had exploded... Engine was not far behind.
I imagine i dont have to worry about things like that with a merc?

Then, my last problem: A dog! Yes, i have a dog and this car would, at some point be the ONLY car i have.
I have C200 estate aviable most of the week if something big needs to be moved.
The black does not have rear seats, nor would i need em much eighter, ive had a SLK and it was not an issue, many have built rear-seats, im thinking something like a "single large romovable seat/padded cover" where the dog could sit when needed, there's not much need for it tho.

Im sure the 63 would be more then "enough" but looking at the prices, the black will be collectors item at some point and allready is the "last of the breed" and not to mention, just simply godlike to look at, compard to the regular CLK AMG. Also, theres not a single new model clk, amg or regular within 150km of where i live.

Sadly i doubt i will have chance to testdrive the cars in this country, only 2 AMG-models have been registered in the country. So if i found the one fitting my price-range, i'd simply hop on a plane and go buy it as fast as i could, then ficure out how to bring it back here.

This car would last a looooong time in my garage so its an important decision, a long-term dream come true.

So, in my position, what would you take?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
From what you have described have you considered an ML63??

1.) Your dog could ride comfortably and you could sleep at night as the interior of your EXPENSIVE AMG wouldn't be destroyed.

2.) Speed bumps, pot holes, and dirt roads would be chewed up and spit out with EASE.

3.) You would still have EXTREME power that would be capable of dispatching the majority of "normal" sports cars on the road

Other than the track use the description you gave doesn't fit the C63 or BS
Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast
Nope, no suv's pls. I want sportscar, not a tank.

Question is between the two, i doubt any other model would satisfy me.

I also doubt my interior would be "destroyed", im more conserned about her comfort.

EDIT: if i ever got a suv, it would have to be the G55, the supercharger makes a huge difference in a heavy car... Plus the ML has nothing against the cool-factor of the g-wagon. Sadly an age-old suv would cost nearly twice what clk would. Gotta love the stupid taxes here.

Last edited by peelo; 08-15-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
C63 Estate covers a lot of bases but if you want a sports car pick up a CLK63 Black Series, there are no reliability issues and it won't cost you any more or less than any other AMG to maintain.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
If the CLK63 BS is affordable then buy it

It appears that you will hold a car for a long period of time and not rack up a great deal of miles.
The BS will give the best return on investment and potentially an increase in value over the years...

As far as the speed bumps and rough roads remember the BS has an adjustable coilover suspension...you could always raise it up a bit if your daily conditions require more clearance. Drop it back down for track days.
No comparison to a Ferrari as far as durability of the BS..it's typical Mercedes build and far from fragile !

Agree with you on the G55...it's the only "truck" to own....had a 2003 G55 and currently own a 2005 G55K...brutal 3 ton beast when the kompressor starts to kick in pressure