CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

997 turbo or clk63 amg BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 63 AMG BS
997 turbo or clk63 amg BS

Hi guys , I am new to this forum, and after a long looking around i have decided to go with 63 black because that is the one i think will be comparable to a 997 turbo which is what i have. are these assumptions correct , has anybody compared this to a 997 turbo? my friends tell me thats a down grade, i dont think so, handling , power etc to a turbo?

the reason i am trading is because i am tired of shifting, and the first gear is useless in the turbo, and u am looking for something low profile yet crazy in performance , and clk seems to be it, and it is exclusive , obviously i will be loosing money on my car but i was wondering whats a fair price on a BS with less then 1000 miles, the list is 94 k

couple other question, i have , is there a tpms in 2008 BS, and how is the down shift on BS , is it like a normal automatic, or is comparable to a new dsg/pdk transmissions, i am not a fan of automatics, but writings on the speed shift look good
any feed back would be great as I will be making my decision soon

Last edited by gestut; 08-20-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by gestut
Hi guys , I am new to this forum, and after a long looking around i have decided to go with 63 black because that is the one i think will be comparable to a 997 turbo which is what i have. are these assumptions correct , has anybody compared this to a 997 turbo? my friends tell me thats a down grade, i dont think so, handling , power etc to a turbo?

the reason i am trading is because i am tired of shifting, and the first gear is useless in the turbo, and u am looking for something low profile yet crazy in performance , and clk seems to be it, and it is exclusive , obviously i will be loosing money on my car but i was wondering whats a fair price on a BS with less then 1000 miles, the list is 94 k

couple other question, i have , is there a tpms in 2008 BS, and how is the down shift on BS , is it like a normal automatic, or is comparable to a new dsg/pdk transmissions, i am not a fan of automatics, but writings on the speed shift look good
any feed back would be great as I will be making my decision soon
There is TPMS on the later versions of the CLK BS; in fact mine had the option. The transmission is great, BUT it does not have the downshift automatic 'blipping'. However it doesn't seem to detract from the performance. It is not like a DSG/PDK in that it is a true automatic with a torque converter. Great for normal driving, and also does well on track.

997 TT versus CLK BS: I love Porsches, but they are a dime a dozen. The CLK BS is very rare; there are only 350 imported to the USA. It looks amazing and generates some pleasant looks and comments, but not overwhelming like a Lambo, etc. It is an easy car to drive daily, BUT it is a 'race car for the street', so the ride can be 'firm'.

I don't know what colour you're looking for but I recently traded my CLK BS with 3900 miles to Eurocar in LA. It is a fantastic example that needs nothing. Contact Danny Steuer there for info: danny@eurocaroc.com Check out the link below.

BTW, I think $94K is way too high. Think low to mid $80K's for a perfect very low mileage example.

Bish

http://inventory.eurocaroc.com/web/u...fornia/877252/
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
My experience isn't a perfect comparison, though I have driven the 997tt.
I currently have a BS, ttx50 (UMW program, pss10's, Europipe), and a new CTS-V Coupe. The BS is by far my favorite to drive, street or track. Only downsides of the BS include smallish tank, a bit harsh on Chicago's worst freeways, and no snow tires for stock rims (I have 2 sets of rims, one for track Corsa's and one for street Bridgestones- so don't want a third set of rims).
My car has been rock solid, is less expensive to service than the Porsche, actually has a trunk, and is more fun at the track. Hope that helps. AS
Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
My experience isn't a perfect comparison, though I have driven the 997tt.
I currently have a BS, ttx50 (UMW program, pss10's, Europipe), and a new CTS-V Coupe. The BS is by far my favorite to drive, street or track. Only downsides of the BS include smallish tank, a bit harsh on Chicago's worst freeways, and no snow tires for stock rims (I have 2 sets of rims, one for track Corsa's and one for street Bridgestones- so don't want a third set of rims).
My car has been rock solid, is less expensive to service than the Porsche, actually has a trunk, and is more fun at the track. Hope that helps. AS
Ya I am seriously thinking of trading my 997 turbo to a BS. there is one black with 700 miles, the dealer wants final price, 12k (plus hipping 2k) and my 997 turbo with 10,500 miles. it sounds right but not sure, any input?

Last edited by gestut; 08-20-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Ya I am seriously thinking of trading my 997 turbo to a BS. there is one black with 700 miles, the dealer wants final price, 12k (plus hipping 2k) and my 997 turbo with 10,500 miles. it sounds right but not sure, any input?
What year is your Turbo?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
It seems that you have already made up your mind, it states that you drive a clk 63 amg black s

Performance wise it is kind of a downgrade. Off the line the 997 is faster, grips a lot more, I believe it might handle better but that's not so significant and the PDK is was more effective, however the 63 is more fun to drive, very tail happy an overall it's a more practical car with a real trunk and the rear can be modified to accommodate two small seats for kids, you don't want adults sitting back there.
I am biased towards Porsche. I live in a city where every private banker drives one and every other soccer mother drives a Cayenne so they aren't exclusive to me. On the other hand the BS is not a car you see everyday, heads will turn but you won't get the same attention as if you were driving a Gallardo so I say get on the AMG wagon.
Oh and 94k is pricey for a BS, you can get a better deal. There are plenty of mint condition BS's with low mileage.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 AM

clk 63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by Carac
What year is your Turbo?
its a 2007, in mint condition
Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 AM

clk 63 AMG BS
lol
i noticed that , i dont know what i put that in there that i drive bs, perhaps it was late.
I understand all your points, mine is a 6 speed, so i can never get a perfect launch, and the first gear is almost useless, so i am comparing 6 speed manual to bs because thats what i have, porsche auto and pdk yes i agree, so i will be quicker in the bs compared to my 6 speed, i think.

I wont buy it if its the right deal. we are at 12k plus my 2007 turbo, i think thats fair, not sure?

Originally Posted by elijah
It seems that you have already made up your mind, it states that you drive a clk 63 amg black s

Performance wise it is kind of a downgrade. Off the line the 997 is faster, grips a lot more, I believe it might handle better but that's not so significant and the PDK is was more effective, however the 63 is more fun to drive, very tail happy an overall it's a more practical car with a real trunk and the rear can be modified to accommodate two small seats for kids, you don't want adults sitting back there.
I am biased towards Porsche. I live in a city where every private banker drives one and every other soccer mother drives a Cayenne so they aren't exclusive to me. On the other hand the BS is not a car you see everyday, heads will turn but you won't get the same attention as if you were driving a Gallardo so I say get on the AMG wagon.
Oh and 94k is pricey for a BS, you can get a better deal. There are plenty of mint condition BS's with low mileage.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
The way i could sum it up for you is simple, the 997 has that awful sounding engine, it does not sound anything like these handbuilt 6.2L V8, the sound the BS generate makes your hair stand, chest puff out.....just a very authoritive sounding car, the "get out of my way" sound, yet it has this refinemant that the american V8's dont have. I am in the process of getting out of a 2008 C63 AMG that I have had since new and am addicited to the power, torque and SOUND...people in the exotic car business here have tried to get me into new Porsche turbos, and 2011 Maserati Gran Turismo S, I have driven both cars at length. Yes the Prosche has amazing performance numbers, yet it doesnt make me feel good, the Maserati sounds exotic but I was suprisingly unimpressed with the lack of torque and again just didnt do anything for me....infact I got back into my C63 and after the first mash of the throttle the car made me laugh....this has led me to placing a deposit on the 2012 C63 Black Series, and if it wasnt for this car being introduced my money might have been placed on a SLS. Basically, you all see the pattern, I love the 6.2 V8, and no matter which car in the AMG line up offers it, I want it. You will not regret the purchase of this very unique and dominating BS, that car still stirs my soul when I am lucky enough to see one, in fact in Canada it is a very very rare sight one of these cars, so once and a while I have old videos of the certain Formula One races with the original Black Series as the Safety Car and that car will be forever etched in my memory bank, it sounds and looks insane!!! You are fortunate to get one with such low miles, go get it.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by 1st amg
The way i could sum it up for you is simple, the 997 has that awful sounding engine, it does not sound anything like these handbuilt 6.2L V8, the sound the BS generate makes your hair stand, chest puff out.....just a very authoritive sounding car, the "get out of my way" sound, yet it has this refinemant that the american V8's dont have. I am in the process of getting out of a 2008 C63 AMG that I have had since new and am addicited to the power, torque and SOUND...people in the exotic car business here have tried to get me into new Porsche turbos, and 2011 Maserati Gran Turismo S, I have driven both cars at length. Yes the Prosche has amazing performance numbers, yet it doesnt make me feel good, the Maserati sounds exotic but I was suprisingly unimpressed with the lack of torque and again just didnt do anything for me....infact I got back into my C63 and after the first mash of the throttle the car made me laugh....this has led me to placing a deposit on the 2012 C63 Black Series, and if it wasnt for this car being introduced my money might have been placed on a SLS. Basically, you all see the pattern, I love the 6.2 V8, and no matter which car in the AMG line up offers it, I want it. You will not regret the purchase of this very unique and dominating BS, that car still stirs my soul when I am lucky enough to see one, in fact in Canada it is a very very rare sight one of these cars, so once and a while I have old videos of the certain Formula One races with the original Black Series as the Safety Car and that car will be forever etched in my memory bank, it sounds and looks insane!!! You are fortunate to get one with such low miles, go get it.
Exactly. The 6.2 liter AMG M156/7 engine is currently my favorite engine of all time. Ever since I test drove a 2010 C63 on a whim and bought it the same day. I then wondered, what's the craziest thing this engine comes in, and I bought a CLK Black. I seriously considered a R63 for my "practical" car. And now I have a SLS on order. I get the impression that this is similar to the muscle car days when you would find a favorite engine and consider all the cars it was available in. You know a engine is great when you would seriously consider a minivan/MPV with it.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
I thought long and hard about changing from my BS to a loaded 2011 997 Turbo S with Aerokit and PDK but have since changed my mind. Although I really like the 996/997 P-cars and have owned several turbos in the past I think the BS is a much better all-around car for the same reasons discussed earlier in this thread. I've also tracked my BS and believe the automatic is as good as the PDK and the suspension if set-up properly can handle almost any track. I also continue to monitor 997 sales on eBay and elsewhere and have noticed there are always a large number of turbos for sale. This is not always true for the CLK BS because of its much lower production numbers and exclusivity. IMO the one-year production, 367 car run CLK BS is more unique than a 997 (and less attention getting) and when compared to the upcoming 2012 C63 BS (which IMO) is not because it will be produced in larger numbers over several years. So, again IMO the CLK BS compares favorably to a 997 Porsche TT but they are different cars that appeal to different audiences. Either way, you can't go wrong- BTW, you're also paying too much for your BS even with very low miles.

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 08-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
I am not in the realm of financial freedom as the people in this thread. However, I will give my unbiased opinion.

911s and AMG CLK are my favorite cars. Have had a 996 C2, W208 CLK55 AMG and driven 997s and W209s...currently shopping for a 2005 CLK55.

As much as I love the black series, the 911 Turbo is still on the top of my list. If I could only have one car. CLK63 BS or 911T, I'd buy the 911T time and time again. 10 second 1/4mi with bolt ons, handles with the best, and makes a good daily. Cannot go wrong. IMHO.

If you are tired of rowing your own gears, I would suggest upgrading to a PDK 997 Turbo.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by Ubergeist
I am not in the realm of financial freedom as the people in this thread. However, I will give my unbiased opinion.

911s and AMG CLK are my favorite cars. Have had a 996 C2, W208 CLK55 AMG and driven 997s and W209s...currently shopping for a 2005 CLK55.

As much as I love the black series, the 911 Turbo is still on the top of my list. If I could only have one car. CLK63 BS or 911T, I'd buy the 911T time and time again. 10 second 1/4mi with bolt ons, handles with the best, and makes a good daily. Cannot go wrong. IMHO.

If you are tired of rowing your own gears, I would suggest upgrading to a PDK 997 Turbo.
ya a later 911 with pdk would be more money then i want to spend, with the bs, not much out of pocket with trade in
Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
ya a later 911 with pdk would be more money then i want to spend, with the bs, not much out of pocket with trade in
Depending on miles they should be paying you.

Just kidding, either way you can't go wrong.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 AM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Black is far more exciting and will be seen as a classic , much rarer and more bespoke . Turbo will be just another old Porsche ...
Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 AM

clk 63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by Ubergeist
Depending on miles they should be paying you.

Just kidding, either way you can't go wrong.
haha, i hope not, my turbo has 10500 miles 2007, the BS has 700 miles , i am paying 11k , am i getting ripped off,.or am i paying premium for ultra low miles the car is out of state , i havent seen it but it has been checked out,

i see you from chicago as well
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM

CLK63 BS, 997tt
a perfect 700 mile BS will go for approx $90k IMO. A one owner with approx 5k miles is mid eighties for a BS.

haha, i hope not, my turbo has 10500 miles 2007, the BS has 700 miles , i am paying 11k , am i getting ripped off,.or am i paying premium for ultra low miles the car is out of state , i havent seen it but it has been checked out,

Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black

Gestut, Hope you get the car. If you live in Chicago, what are you driving on snow days? AS
Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
Ya I hope so too. Silly question, does the bs has one battery or two? I swear I saw 2 when I test drove one in 2008;
Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
In terms of speed and precision the 997 TT is definitely the faster car.
The Black Series has alot more character imo given its great engine and fun factor.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
Ya I hope so too. Silly question, does the bs has one battery or two? I swear I saw 2 when I test drove one in 2008;
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Euro Cars Only
I'm pretty sure it only has 1.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
You must have x-ray vision ...... there is one, which is hidden under a cover between the rear storage shelfs.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 AM

clk 63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by SMP
You must have x-ray vision ...... there is one, which is hidden under a cover between the rear storage shelfs.
hmm all i remember the sales guy trying to jump the car from the front left since the battery was dead, may be there was jump point in the front ? I also remember when the car suddenly shut off as i was going like 80 and restarted by itself, and the sales said it was the auxillary battery taking over, since the main battery was weak, lol, who knows it was 3 years ago
Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
There's a jump point at the front.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo or clk63 amg BS