CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

front strut leak with low miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 63 AMG BS
front strut leak with low miles

this is the car i will be buying, and here is the service history report from the dealer. they replaced the front right strut at 576 miles. is this something to be worried about, it was covered under warranty, seems like the car sat for a while , could that be the reason?
Attached Thumbnails front strut leak with low miles-securedownload-1-.jpg   front strut leak with low miles-securedownload-2-.jpg  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I have not heard of any strut issues with these cars. Several of the guys on here track their cars on a regular basis and none of them have had any issues.as for your theory of the car sitting for a while being the cause, its possible but highly unlikely, a car would have to sit for mor than a year or two to start exibiting problems with craking or dry rotting seals. Most of the suspension seals these days are made from urethane or polymers with higher elasticity than straigt rubber. which lasts a long time regarless of how used or unused it is.

I would not let it keep you from buying the car, I would be happy that it has already been addressed on someone elses watch and dime.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM

clk 63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
I have not heard of any strut issues with these cars. Several of the guys on here track their cars on a regular basis and none of them have had any issues.as for your theory of the car sitting for a while being the cause, its possible but highly unlikely, a car would have to sit for mor than a year or two to start exibiting problems with craking or dry rotting seals. Most of the suspension seals these days are made from urethane or polymers with higher elasticity than straigt rubber. which lasts a long time regarless of how used or unused it is.

I would not let it keep you from buying the car, I would be happy that it has already been addressed on someone elses watch and dime.
thats what i was thinking. it looks like it was covered under warranty so i was wondering if this car as in an accident, hence the paranoid suspicion, with such low miles. it was checked out by an independent dealer,
Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
If you inspect the area around the strut that was leaking, you should be able to spot evidence of repair.

If you don't see any damage, forget it and enjoy the car. Remember, the strut could have failed as a result of a manufacturing defect, not abuse.

Have fun with the car!

JDB