CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Off topic, but has anybody here tried/considered a new McLaren?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Off topic, but has anybody here tried/considered a new McLaren?

The reason I ask is that both the CLK Black and the McLaren seem directed to the same type of buyer; someone wanting to drive a car on the street that is extremely capable on the track, with precision steering, moderate consideration to comfort, and no real desire to say "I'm just showing off my new Ferrari".
This is a very smart group of enthusiasts, and I'd value your opinion, before I decide on my next purchase.Thanks! (and yes, it would be a May thru October car in the midwest) AS
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I spent some time with the mp4-12c, here's my review:

http://www.beyond.ca/mclaren-mp4-12c...car/13927.html

It'll answer a lot of questions you might have, coming from a CLK and C Black Series owner. If the car was more raw in terms of driving dynamics, I'd be all over it. IMO if you're a fan of the dynamics of a GT-R, you'll love this car.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Thanks Shelton,
I think we agree on a lot of points, tho I didn't have a track stint with the car, so can't comment on the "drive-by-computer" observation. I did really like the steering feel and responsiveness (which I thought was better than the GTR), the sense of lightness and agility(also better than the GTR), and the essential simplicity of the cabin(much different than a GTR, and opposite a 458 Ferrari). I thought the exhaust note isn't magical, but did like the way that you can drive it soft or loud. When I drove a 458, it was only "loud", which can be really great or annoying.
I agree that it is opposite of the CLK Black, in that you really need to drive the BS with assists "off" on the track, and that requires a bit of experience.
If you were spending that kind of money, would you buy one? What concerns would you have? I was surprised that the electronics, like nav, are not worked out yet, so I'd wait for a 2013, when they promise to have the complete package AS
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
I was interested in the MP4-12C before they announced the MSRP. Rumors of the car being in the 180's made me want to one. When the prices came out, it was a bit more than what I'd pay for one in Canada... optioned out and tax in, it's in the low to mid 300's. I seriously thought they were going to attack the Ferrari 458 hard with aggressive pricing, but it's cheaper to get a 458. If the MP4-12C was priced at the 200k range, they would've sold a lot more cars. Instead, there's no wait list for the car, and there's stock sitting around. The car will depreciate HARD because of this.

For that kind of money, I'd buy a SLS and have way more fun with the extra 100k in my pocket. I'll wait to see how they actually depreciate, and when it drops under 200 I'd consider it, but really only because I'm a big McLaren fan. I still think that they went the wrong way with the direction of the car, being so easy to drive. If it was more agressive in handling, or at least an option to make you sweat while hustling it around the street, it'd be perfect. Comfortable as a daily driver, fun to drive at the limit, and blistering laptimes.

Of course, I have odd tastes for what a perfect car should be, so YMMV.

Last edited by rage2; 10-07-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
I recently added an mp4-12c to the batcave . Im luck to have a variation of cars to drive on road and track and rate the 12 right up there with my F40 and Carrera GT , in its own way its just as good .
Its fantastic , Im sorry to disagree but the dynamics are nothing like a GTR .
The car can be very comfortable and yet on a track with everything disabled it can slide very well indeed . Its great fun .
I think in many respects its closer to a 911 turbo than a 458 in competition . They are both truly regular use supercars that can still excite on a track . I love the designed by airflow looks and the simplistic interior . Form over function suits me . Try to get an extended drive , a few hours is not really enough to appreciate the breadth of this cars abilities . After a test drive in the 12c I was not impressed but when I spent a few days with a friends on a trip to spa the car completely won me over . Very comfortable and yet brutally , devastatingly fast when you want it to be .
When I was looking for a new mid engined car to use regularly I tested a 458 and the mclaren back to back and chose the 12c .

One more thing , I sold my sls as I just stopped using it once the 12c came home ...( that may have more to do with the sls black tbh )

Last edited by WTDoom; 10-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
First off, congrats on your purchase!

It was interesting, when I threw the car around in track mode, it didn't want to slide much. There's a lot of traction obviously, but there was also from what I felt a lot of computer intervention preventing me from doing what I wanted. I asked the McLaren rep why the car just didn't want to get out of shape regardless of what I was doing, I was told that it's the TC software, and that McLaren "loosened" the software a bit, which is what I should expect on a purchased car.

I never had a chance to drive an actual "for sale" vehicle, the car I drove was the first car in the country, a demo car with a manufacturer plate, so maybe this is where our experiences differ. You're right tho, an hour or 2 with the car isn't as telling as spending days with the car. Maybe that's what I need!

(Now let's see some pics!)
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
"I was intereested in the price at 180k" ditto to Rage2. Intro was 230k, out the door was 275K. Pass on that.

Saw one defy the law of physics at Calif Speedway on Sunday...totaled!
Well constructed as it toppled a concrete barrier and the driver walked away.

Calif. Speedway is not kind to ground effects cars that get off course. FWIW,
I'll take my Ford GT any day.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
Originally Posted by rage2
First off, congrats on your purchase!

It was interesting, when I threw the car around in track mode, it didn't want to slide much. There's a lot of traction obviously, but there was also from what I felt a lot of computer intervention preventing me from doing what I wanted. I asked the McLaren rep why the car just didn't want to get out of shape regardless of what I was doing, I was told that it's the TC software, and that McLaren "loosened" the software a bit, which is what I should expect on a purchased car.

I never had a chance to drive an actual "for sale" vehicle, the car I drove was the first car in the country, a demo car with a manufacturer plate, so maybe this is where our experiences differ. You're right tho, an hour or 2 with the car isn't as telling as spending days with the car. Maybe that's what I need!

(Now let's see some pics!)
Track mode is not clear from intervention .
To slide the car you have to turn everything off , this is a different process altogether . This is for some reason not being made clear in some regions . I use it as a daily driver mostly .
Thanks for the congratulations
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward ordering a 2013, and will keep you posted. Can't make myself give up the CLK Black, and really need to figure out what I want to use from November thru April. AS
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
I picked up a new CLS550 4matic for the snow months. Great winter beater.