CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Weistec trans. upgrade, Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL-63
Weistec trans. upgrade, Weekend Warrior

After talking to several who have done the complete re-build and valve body only upgrade I decided to go with the valve body upgrade.
With the Renntech stage III engine pkg. alone I thought the trans was strong enough to handle the HP increase. For the supercharger upgrade the re-build makes sense.
I went to H&G Motorsports who took the valve body to Weistec and they quickly turned it around in hours.
Impressions ? I like it ! It is subtle but definitely an improvement.
It seems to have more lock up especially going up steep hills. Shifts are a little faster but the real gain is driving under Sport Auto Mode. Previously I could only handle Manual because auto shifted too early into the next gear lugging the motor. Now it holds the gears a little longer and I find myself using S all the time now. I always look at these things as dollars spent vs. performance gain. For the cost it's a no brainer, definitely worth the $1500.00.
My test is only under normal driving. I haven't run the car hard yet so I have no feedback on that improvement. There may be more gain with the adaptive driving kicking in more improvement. In my experience valve body mods. usually come with harsh shifting. I did B&M up-grades years ago and they were a little harsh. Not Weistec mods. The car shifts smooth but firm, hardly noticeable. Again I notice more lock-up in the clutch plates which gives a performance gain you can feel.
H&G recommends and Trans. cooler for track driving, not a bad idea either and I will do that also.
I recommend this upgrade to the CLK Black Series here.
Am interested in throttle blipping next.