CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Rear strut tower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi TTRS
Rear strut tower

After 2 weeks of constant google searching and MBworld forum searches I figured id ask first hand owners about this
I'm looking at doing a BS suspension swap with a regular CLK63 but starting to wonder if this is even possible.
First thing iv notice is the rear of the Black series suspension fully sits on the rear strut towers. I can imagine this would create a lot more load on the regular CLK63 chassis. So was there any form of extra reinforcement emplaced on the strut towers?
I know the Black series body was reinforced to make it a stiffer structure, but is it to a point if the same setup was install in a regular CLK63, will it over exceed the structural integrity?
In other words, will I be seeing a complete coilover shoot through my rear parcel shelf ?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Short answer is no I don't believe it would cause an issue. The coilovers used in the CLKBS are the KW Variant 3 setup. The rear and front strut tower bars will definitely help with the chassis flex that may occur because the suspension points where the force is applied has changed compared to a stock CLK setup. So if you do the coilover switch make sure to install the strut tower bars as well. Good luck and post some pictures when your done.

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi TTRS
It is a big risk without knowing for sure. Strut tower fully supporting the weight of the vehicle considering itnwas design to support the shock
Old 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
When I opened up the interior rear trunk area of my car I didn't see any additional reinforcements made besides the rear strut bar mounting points. If you send a picture of your car trunk area I can compare directly.