C-Class Climate Controls! What gives!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
C-Class Climate Controls! What gives!?!?

Hey all:

I've been all about the new CLS Coupe- a great- no magnificent- looking vehicle. However, after recently driving a C Class loaner and checking out a 2012 CLS, I noticed that the two vehicles have the SAME EXACT CLIMATE CONTROL KNOB/BUTTONS!!

If this isn't ridiculous I don't know what is. The E has a nice setup with digital temp readings and no lame knobs to turn. You'd think that a more expensive model would have a better setup, yet they put the dirt minimum in it. The S has a line of buttons and no knobs.

All I can do is laugh and shake my head in wonderment as to why MB decided to copy the lowest setup for such a magnificent machine. Anyone else notice this?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cls550
Well, SLS amg also has SAME EXACT CLIMATE CONTROL KNOB/BUTTONS maybe you should go to sls section and convince them to get rid of their cars.

Last edited by Klanse; 02-18-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:47 PM

E550C
Originally Posted by Klanse
Well, SLS amg also has SAME EXACT CLIMATE CONTROL KNOB/BUTTONS maybe you should go and convince them to get rid of their cars.
Didnt realize that- which is even sadder. geez MB
Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cls550
Don't you know almost all the new MBs have that kind of knob? Including the 2013 SL.
Just get over with it.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 AM

E550C
I think some people on here are getting me wrong- I'm a MB guy. Sometimes as MB guys we have to talk about the bad as well as the good. There is no such perfect car but MB is arguably the best.

I just wish to start a helpful conversation about WHY MB would do such a thing (use the same C Class setup for the CLS and now apparently other high-end models). There is no sense in getting defensive. I can't figure out why they would do this and wondered if anyone did, or was otherwise disappointed that they use the same setup.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
PGT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
Originally Posted by nauticalx
There is no sense in getting defensive.
and, there's no sense in a manufacturer developing a separate version for each car.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 AM

E550C
Agreed, simply throw in the E or S class controls then which are actually worthy of the CLS's elegance. just noticed a member's review of his new CLS550 wherein he says the only "cheap" part of the car is the climate controls. case closed. I have my answer.

Note to self- never be critical of any part of any MB on this forum.

Last edited by nauticalx; 02-19-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
PGT

if it works, why do you care? the knob or button is a minor detail. You wanted to know what was ridiculous, if it wasn't the sharing of parts? I'll tell you what's ridiculous....getting your panties in a knot over it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 AM

E550C
you just prove my point with every post...instead of discussing an objectively weak aspect of this great vehicle, you have to attack my very calling to attention this aspect of the vehicle that others have already complained about.

maybe I'm different but this aspect of the vehicle severely decreases my desire to purchase a CLS. Ive been using the controls on the C loaner and they are a joke.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 AM
PGT

:lol: No, I'm saying with all that's wrong with the world, you're awfully bent about something that really doesn't matter that much.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 AM

E550C
I agree. I guess I'm different. It probably doesnt affect others, but I wanted to know if it did, which is why I started this post.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS550 4MATIC, 2009 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 E320 4MATIC Wagon
I actually love the HVAC control knobs in the CLS, even if they are used in the C-class. I think the design of them looks sportier than the E's boring rectangular LCD screen setup.

Mercedes tends to use a lot of the same interior and exterior components on all of their models no matter what the price. Just look at how similiar the $200K SLS and $50K SLK interiors are. Rims, steering wheels, etc. They all seem to come from the same parts bin. It's obvious cost-cutting, but I dont mind as long as the quality is good.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Two parts of the E that look immeasurably more upmarket than the CLS which is based off of it, are the HVAC controls (the CLS's are designed originally for the C-Class, and they look and feel appropriate to the C-Class, if that, therefore, their placement in upper models is simple cost cutting, while the E-Class has IMO the most high end and refined HVAC unit of any M-B model), and the fact that the fugly cup holders aren't always in plain sight.

Other than that, I dig the CLS's interior, save for the putrid headroom that doesn't let a 6'4 tall guy like me fit comfortably in one!!!!

Taken by a Member on this Forum who owns both cars.

Originally Posted by PGT
:lol: No, I'm saying with all that's wrong with the world, you're awfully bent about something that really doesn't matter that much.
When you're spending money on a vehicle, nothing matters at that moment but whether or not you feel you're getting the worth of the money you're putting out. A HVAC unit is a fairly significant part of an interior. Very tactile in terms of you always touching/feeling it (which sends a signal to your brain as to how well built/expensive/"cheap" the sum of the parts that make up your car are), and always in plain sight. This doesn't mean the CLS has a crappy interior, but a crappy HVAC unit.

Last edited by K-A; 02-28-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 AM

it is easier to adjust temperature on cls climate controls than e class.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 AM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by K-A
Two parts of the E that look immeasurably more upmarket than the CLS which is based off of it, are the HVAC controls (the CLS's are designed originally for the C-Class, and they look and feel appropriate to the C-Class, if that, therefore, their placement in upper models is simple cost cutting, while the E-Class has IMO the most high end and refined HVAC unit of any M-B model), and the fact that the fugly cup holders aren't always in plain sight.
Having had both a W204 and a W212, I can honestly say I preferred the climate controls on the C Class. I see nothing cheap about them and IMHO they are easier to use.

As one who is considering the CLS, the climate controls don't bother me at all, but I agree wholeheartedly about the cup holders! Here, the E outshines the CLS considerably.

Regards,
Don
Old 02-29-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 4MATIC
Us Americans love our Big Gulps and Venti Frappucinos... I think they had to remove the cup holder cover in order to allow for cup holders that will fit larger drink sizes and thermal mugs, etc.

I wasn't a huge fan of them either, especially when compared to pics of the European CLS, but I enjoy their function!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Just wanted to chime in here on this topic. I think MB uses the the controls in the C,CLS,SL,AND CL, because they have a sportier appearance. The digital in the E and S have more of a luxury feel to them, as what they intended for those vehicles. I actually like the controls in the Cls better then in my E since I prefer the sportier look... Just my .02.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM
T.A

E
Hope it'll be fixed with the facelift. The one in the E looks much better, no doubt.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
The E class controls just feel more up market than those of the CLS. The weight and way the tabs click solidly up and down to adjust the temp feels great. The circular knobs of the CLS just feels loose and less precise. I also like how it is easier and quicker to identify the temperature setting on the E with its big digital readouts. Silly me, but I keep thinking the CLS is a touch screen. I find myself not hitting the actual buttons but the center screen to no avail!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Let's look at this from another angle: what about the C-class guys who are glad they have the same climate control as the SLS? :-)
Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 AM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
The E550 was the initial car that got my attention and brought me over to MB , then I saw the CLS and the rest was history. One thing I did not like on the E was the HVAC controls. It seemed antiquated to me even then. The CLS fit better to me. But yes, the cup holders need to go.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by nauticalx
Hey all:

I've been all about the new CLS Coupe- a great- no magnificent- looking vehicle. However, after recently driving a C Class loaner and checking out a 2012 CLS, I noticed that the two vehicles have the SAME EXACT CLIMATE CONTROL KNOB/BUTTONS!!

If this isn't ridiculous I don't know what is. The E has a nice setup with digital temp readings and no lame knobs to turn. You'd think that a more expensive model would have a better setup, yet they put the dirt minimum in it. The S has a line of buttons and no knobs.

All I can do is laugh and shake my head in wonderment as to why MB decided to copy the lowest setup for such a magnificent machine. Anyone else notice this?

i think you might have it backwards, its the c class that was given an upgrade to be like the cls/sls !!!

i for one think that repeatedly having to lift up aon a silly tab, to get to the temp you want is more of a task than just instantly turning the dial,

you can get instantly to the desired setting.
its more classic, classy and sporty.

and i definately wouldnt prefer anything digital over analog!

not that its a true analog control, maybe it isnt. but you get my point

would you rather have a digital readout for everything?
your tach? speedometer?

hell no.

now the big beef i have have is the tacky glossy black center console trim.

(i have ordered a 2012 cls63)

it clashes with the leather and looks like it will be a magnet for finger prints!

im actually thinking of having my center console trim(compartmet holder/cup holder cover) which is in the cheesy gloss black, re-done in a matt/sheen finish...

i love the finish BMW has on their new m5, around the center stack controls, its still black, but non reflective, and has a very expensive SHEEN to it!!

i love it.

just have to try to find a company that could do something like this.

i would even love to have them leather wrapped, but not sure they would fit back in place after...

sorry, not to hijack the topic...