CLS 550 4matic rear airbags question(repost)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX 2006
CLS 550 4matic rear airbags question(repost)

Hi all,

I was told to post in this subforum, so please excuse the duplicate thread:

Thank you konigstiger, this helps. I will repost in the other forum.

Anyone on the forums who elected the rear airbag option for their CLS550 4matic? I realize this is a personal preference, but there seems to be very little data extolling the benefits of rear ABags on the CLS- even NHTSA hasn't published any test results or ratings for this CLS option.

The dealers tell me that none of the current inventory (nationally) has rear airbags as an available option, so, I will have to build-to-order if I need this feature.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
They are standard equipment in Canada. I would assume the rear airbags give the same protection as the front in the event of a side collision. I would not have a car without them.

It's surprising that most dealers do not order stock inventory with them. It is not an expensive option.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX 2006
Hi Pete,

To clarify, these are the "rear side-impact airbags" which I gather to be the ones on the rear passenger side as shown in the picture below. (thanks to konigstiger who sent me this link)

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ir-bags-ab.jpg

MBUSA advertises the following as standard options:
"12-way air bag protection: An advanced system of 10 air bags offers 12-way occupant protection. Dual two-stage front air bags, front side-air bags, front pelvic air bags, dual front knee air bags, and window curtain air bags for both seating rows are standard."

So, essentially, the rear side impact air-bags are optional. I'm wondering why there aren't (m)any CLSes on the roads (or in the dealerships) with the rear side-impact airbag option.

Thanks in advance,
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz CLS 550 Diamond White
Originally Posted by SEATTLETWINS
Hi all,

I was told to post in this subforum, so please excuse the duplicate thread:

Thank you konigstiger, this helps. I will repost in the other forum.

Anyone on the forums who elected the rear airbag option for their CLS550 4matic? I realize this is a personal preference, but there seems to be very little data extolling the benefits of rear ABags on the CLS- even NHTSA hasn't published any test results or ratings for this CLS option.

The dealers tell me that none of the current inventory (nationally) has rear airbags as an available option, so, I will have to build-to-order if I need this feature.

Thanks
SeattleTwins --- I too had this problem -- we have two small children and I wanted the rear airbags. I realize not much data out there on them - but if we were ever in a crash and having them would help save someone - for me it made me order a car and get them...