Resonator Delete - Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 CLS550 4Matic
Resonator Delete - Update

Last year, I reported my results/initial impressions of a resonator delete (straight pipes) on my 2012 CLS550 4Matic... that post included a short sound clip. To me, the exhaust sound 'matured' over time (becoming deeper)... perhaps there was a seasoning that took place. I'm still extremely happy with my decision and would do it over again... but all is not good. As a few people have mentioned (including myself), the idle sound after warm up is somewhat anemic... and a slight flutter can be heard if you stand behind the vehicle. To counter this drawback, I note three items:
a) Cold start still sounds fantastic.
b) I rarely stand behind the vehicle during warm idle.
c) The sound dramatically improves while driving.

Recently, I returned to a local Dyno Day (mostly Corvettes) to check out my ECU tune from RENNtech. This video from the event demonstrates how deep the tone of the exhaust is... to me, it closely resembles the sound of a 60's muscle car. Everyone has different preferences and I respect those who do not like this mod. Overall, I enjoy the resonator delete... almost as much as the sidepipes on my old Vette.

My CLS550 comes in approximately the 3:40 time mark... enjoy:

Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS550
Fantastic Video! Thanks for the update. Definitely something I plan to do with my CLS (new 2014 coming in a few months).

Any way you can get/post a copy of the video, without the 'Push The Tempo' music? It kinda interferes with the sweet sound of those exhaust notes...

Jimmy
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by jkjr
Fantastic Video! Thanks for the update. Definitely something I plan to do with my CLS (new 2014 coming in a few months).

Any way you can get/post a copy of the video, without the 'Push The Tempo' music? It kinda interferes with the sweet sound of those exhaust notes...

Jimmy
Unfortunately, I do not have any access to the raw files... that video was created by another person who attended the dyno day.

Hope your CLS arrives soon... best of luck!