CLS550 steering wheel swap to CLS63 - controls not working. Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes CLS 550
If I cannot comfortably remove the white plug on the AMG, the I am going to open the back plastic cover for the circuit board, remove it and insert the base model circuit board. This eliminates the need to pull plugs.

If this does not provide full functionality, since I now know how to access the plugs from below in order to push them out of their sockets from the bottom up vs pulling on them, I will complete the swap as you outlined above.

I do have lane tracking. I believe you are 100% correct that the white plug supports that function. In fact when I purchased the AMG wheel the seller asked if I had this function so to be sure to send me the correct version.

Will circle back later today with an update.

I will attempt to glue the white plug parts together and reconnect it on the base steering wheel so it is fully functional. I would like to sell it
Old 11-07-2013, 01:52 PM

2012 Mercedes CLS 550
The AMG steering wheel is now installed and fully functional!!

Unfortunately I had to re-connect the battery to drive to purchase the torque wrench which I used to remove the center mounting screw. Since I had already removed the air bag, I now receive an alert every time I start the ignition that the airbags need to be serviced. Once I deal with this I'm home free!

Thanks again for your assistance with this! Saved me $200 in labor.

(I am attempting to super glue the white plug on my original steering wheel back together to restore its lane tracking functionality. If not I will sell it as being w/o lane tracking.)

Last edited by im4umia; 11-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM

2012 cls550--2012 srt8 jeep--2014 e350--2014 cla 250
Piks would be great
Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS550
Great job!! You are hired as the official steering wheel mod guy in the south... and use a little clear epoxy for the white clip and will be good as new.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 PM

2012 Mercedes CLS 550
LOL!!

Going to attempt one more revision ..... the gear shift paddles on the AMG are huge. Am going to try to swap them with the more recessed base model paddles. I purchased the AMG steering wheel for the wheel design, not the elongated paddles.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RRS Supercharged and CLS550 (W218)
Saw some carbon fiber shifter paddles somewhere online for sale recently....don't recall where, but I think it was from UK based website. It would be a cool addition to your amg steering wheel.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:59 PM

Cclass
Offer still available?

Originally Posted by Micros73
Ok I will try and make this as short as possible but be thorough..

Now first off you will need to disconnect negative battery terminal which a 10mm socket is required. Battery located on pass side next to firewall. Battery has a plastic cover held with 3 clips.

Next open a door and that should drain residual battery in system, should hear an electric motor go off for a few seconds. Once you don't hear anything you can start to remove airbag.
There are 2 dimples in back of steering wheel in which you can first stick a small pick through to make a small tiny hole.

I then used a very small screwdriver as I needed a flat tip in order to depress the springs that hold airbag on.

Be patient when sticking the screwdriver in the hole, more you play with it the bigger the hole will become. You don't need to stick screwdriver in very far at all. Feel for the clip to give when you push, should be springy. If you find it push until the airbag pops out on the side your working on and continue to next side. Once both clips are depressed you now can pull airbag down and work on removing the 2 airbag plugs.
Put the screwdriver in the plug tops and wiggle the top clip up then remove the clips.

Once that is done take a 10mm Allen socket with breaker bar for leverage and break loose the screw in center. This is on there so use some muscle. It has blue thread locker so when replacing don't forget to dab a little blue thread locker back on.

Now remove the brown plug on left hand side attaching to steering column. There are small push clips on top and bottom of clip, push in and pull out plug. The right side yellow plug does not need to be removed, but I took it off anyway, that comes off same way as left side.

At this point make sure steering wheel is straight and you can mark if needed, but if steering wheel is straight you will see factory black marks that line up with the groove on top. Steering wheel will pull right out.

Now if you are replacing a 2012 wheel with a 2013 or newer wheel you need to use your old contact plate to retain all the steering wheel functions. I learned this the hard way after swapping wheels and nothing worked on wheel, horn, buttons paddle shift. So I learned that new contact plates are not compatible with 2012 models. If contact plate swap is necessary this is a very easy and straightforward job.
Remove the 3 main torx screws shown here.

And also the small black one holding the brown wire to wheel. 4 torx screws in total need to be removed. Once that has been done then you can pull metal plate up and the plastic electronic plate will be below.

Now you need to remove the 3 electrical contacts off. They are held in with single clips that need to be depressed and pull out.

Contact plate removed..

Once this has been done reverse all instructions and put in old contact plate onto new wheel.

Check to make sure you plugged in everything correctly and use a dab of blue loctite on the 10mm Allen screw. Once you plug everything in and torque down your Allen and plug in airbag, airbag simply snaps into place. Plug in battery and test.

If anyone is in south OC you are more than welcome to stop by my place and will complete job for free. I can do it start to finish in about 20 min.
I do. Does the offer still stand?