'14 CLS 550 vs '14 C63C AMG w/P61

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2014 | 05:33 PM

'17 MB G63 AMG
'14 CLS 550 vs '14 C63C AMG w/P61

Greetings all,

I recently took delivery of my special ordered '14 CLS 550 this past week. I drove both vehicles this past weekend and thought I would share my initial observations of both vehicles.

These two vehicles offer significant differences in their driving dynamics, not to mention their power deliveries.

CLS pros over the C63 AMG: The CLS is very comfortable and offers a very nice & compliant ride over the stiffly tuned chassis and bone jarring ride of the C63 AMG. I prefer the CLS' small glass sunroof over the enormous/heavy sliding glass moonroof of the C63. I love the powerful sound system in the CLS. I know I will appreciate the 4Matic of the CLS when in inclement weather... I prefer the smaller front doors of the CLS over the longggg coupe doors of the C63C. Securing the seatbelt is much easier in the CLS. I find the CLS' tranny is much quicker to engage in any gear from rest. The tranny is also less sluggish than on my C63C. I'll have this issue looked at during my first fluid change. I'm hoping the C63C's tranny just needs a re-flash...
The analog clock in the CLS is a real nice/classy touch. My wife, who could care less about cars, noticed it immediately.

C63C AMG pros over the CLS 550: The CLS' seats are not as comfortable as the seats in the C63. I prefer the harder and more confining seats of the C63. Obviously, the handling and braking performances are superior in the C63C.

Even: The CLS is turbocharged (forced induction) & the C63 is the last of the big block normally aspirated engines assembled by MB. I love them both. The torque in the CLS appears to come on just a bit more down low, but the C63 just keeps accelerating/harder in the higher rpms. These two cars are probably my favorite combo that I've owned in the last 20 years. I own a comfortable four door sedan (coupe) with 4Matic, which will serve as my quasi DD, with my "Old School" big block, normally aspirated engine in a relatively rare MB. Frankly, the CLS isn't omnipresent either... At the end of the day, I'm really very satisfied with the CLS and the C63C AMG. These two vehicles are very nice indeed...

In summation, if I had to only have one car, I'd probably pick the CLS 63AMG. I love the looks, performance, panache, some utility (4Matic) & some exclusivity of this fine automobile.

Cheers/B

Last edited by BenDiem; 05-07-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2014 | 04:30 PM

2014 CLS550 4Matic
Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experiences. Nice info.
Old 05-07-2014 | 11:06 AM

'19 S560, '19 C63 Cab
Nice combo, I have a '12 CLS63 and a '12 E550 Cab. I feel the same as you, as to how much I like them, on the two car combo even though they are a bit different than yours. No 4matic at all for me.
Old 08-25-2014 | 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I had them both. I had a C63AMG new back in 09, had it stock for a while the did the MHP stage II(long tube headers, MHP tune and air filters), surprisingly my current CLS 550 RWD is a hair fast and quicker than my C63 was stock. I tested them both at the local track.

Despite the hp and tq advantage as well as the weight advantage on the C63 , my CLS 550 managed to run quicker and faster than the C63.

c63 was 451hp/443tq and 3900lbs with no spare and almost no gas vs "402hp" and 443lb-tq but 4130lbs with no spare tire and almost no gas.

I agree with just about everything you said but for a daily driver I prefer the CLS. Also, the CLS yields about 7-8 mpg better than the C63 did with no penalty on performance. Also, the CLS is roomier....