Advice Please: CLS 63 Vs. G 550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G550
Advice Please: CLS 63 Vs. G 550

Hi guys, I know there are plenty of X vs. Y threads on here, and I hate to be the guy that's posted something that's been discussed in length before, but I wanted to explain my situation and see if I can get some real insight from MB Owners.

Right now I am car shopping for around a 2011-2012 G550 with >30k miles. That is my top choice right now, but it seems like everyone I talk to seems to be steering me away from it. Even the salesman at the GD dealership I went to was like, "yeah, this is a pricey car, gas is expensive, maintenance is expensive, it doesn't end at the sticker price." And he sort of just got me thinking, am I getting in over my head? How bad can it really be?

So, my second, more practical, choice, is the CLS 63 AMG, again, used, probably more recent like a 2012 or 2013 with under 20k miles. The cost would be about 10-15k less, and although an undoubtedly sexy car, I really love the G, and if I get the CLS I am afraid I will be regretful that I didn't go for my first preference of the G. I really love the G wagon, but I just don't want to make a decision that I will regret or that will constantly be breaking my wallet.

Should I go for the CLS and maybe just consider the G my next "step up," after I am ready to trade this one in and make the next upgrade? Or should I just follow my impulse and get the G which has been my dream car for years. At the same token, I'd also love an Aston Martin, but what our dream cars are, are not always the practical/reasonable decision to go with.

Any feedback, experiences, guidance, would be MUCH appreciated.

Ps. This would be my daily driver and only car.

-Rod
Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
Well you keep saying you like the G the most.. so get the G if $ isn't the issue, and why is the salesman worried about you buying a "pricey car". Honestly both cars aren't practical, you want to be practical.. buy a Hyundai.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
OP,

I was in a similar situation as you... I looked at ordering a '14 G550 or a '14 CLS 550 C4. I knew I wanted AWD; hence, why I cross shopped these two entirely different & unique vehicles.

I ended up getting the CLS 550 C4 over the G-Wagon b/c I already have an AWD SUV in my X3 BMW. I have absolutely no regrets inasmuch that the C4 handles very well for a sedan, and it is deceptively quick & fast! I love this car!

I plan to trade my X3 in for a new G-Wagon w/in 18 months when my X3 is paid off. That will be a substantial down payment on my new G-Wagon. My motto is: Plan your work, work your plan...

GL/Cheers,

B

Last edited by BenDiem; 06-11-2014 at 08:31 AM.