Alignment options for CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 CLS 350 CDI Coupe
Alignment options for CLS

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the geometry of our Mecs, more specifically cars form 2000+ onwards.

As most of you already know, cars that were produced post 2000, only had the ability of adjusting the front and rear 'toe'. The only remedy of rectifying front camber/caster settings was to purchase camber/caster bolts to allow for these settings to be adjusted.

Now, regarding the rear camber - there appears to be no such bolts from Mercedes to adjust any offset? So therefore here are my questions:

1. When manufacturing these cars - how do they align the rear or front the first place?

2. If misalignment happens (excluding hitting anything that would compromise the geometry), are they the results from warn bushings? If so, would new bushings 'realign' the rear camber? I.e. if they naturally drift from the specs?

3. Is there any tricks from stock steup to tweak the rear without resorting to aftermarket camber control arms?

4. Finally, what are my options to have adjustable rear camber - AS mentioned above, I can get control camber arms, but are there anything more subtle? I ask because I own a 2011 CLS which is financed. I would like something less conspicuous to not readily flag up the modification from a routine inspection?

Any opinions are most welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by bio10155
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding the geometry of our Mecs, more specifically cars form 2000+ onwards.

As most of you already know, cars that were produced post 2000, only had the ability of adjusting the front and rear 'toe'. The only remedy of rectifying front camber/caster settings was to purchase camber/caster bolts to allow for these settings to be adjusted.

Now, regarding the rear camber - there appears to be no such bolts from Mercedes to adjust any offset? So therefore here are my questions:

1. When manufacturing these cars - how do they align the rear or front the first place?

2. If misalignment happens (excluding hitting anything that would compromise the geometry), are they the results from warn bushings? If so, would new bushings 'realign' the rear camber? I.e. if they naturally drift from the specs?

3. Is there any tricks from stock steup to tweak the rear without resorting to aftermarket camber control arms?

4. Finally, what are my options to have adjustable rear camber - AS mentioned above, I can get control camber arms, but are there anything more subtle? I ask because I own a 2011 CLS which is financed. I would like something less conspicuous to not readily flag up the modification from a routine inspection?

Any opinions are most welcomed.

Thanks.

Yes that is correct, only front and rear Toe adjustment OEM since the mid '90 models.

Many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/return vehicle to within factory specs.

Having premature edge tire wear, loss of traction, steering pull. Result of altering height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels or curb knock damage.

We saw the need therefore to design, develop, (and re-instate from the 1990's) fully adjustable front and rear suspension. Precise Camber and Caster for front and Camber for the rear (with extra Toe adjustment to compensate).

K-MAC kits also feature fast/precise single wrench adjustment on car/no disassembly required each time (accurate under load - direct on alignment turntable). Unlike labor intensive one position offset bolts.

Rear kits include extra Toe adjustment (doubles adjustment range to cater for the new rear Camber facility). Unlike the alternative adjustable Camber arms K-MAC rear kits do not move top of tires outwards - this reducing all important clearance to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Also rear more "subtle".....

K-MAC bushes simply replace the existing lower arm inner bushes and are black in color!