Another potential new owner. Would love input.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Audi S5
Another potential new owner. Would love input.

I have owned BMWs, Audis, Infinitis, Acuras and many other brands. I have never owned a Mercedes. I currently own a '13 Lexus GS F Sport, which is a fantastic car in every respect, but I've admired the CLS since it was first introduced. A co-worker of mine just bought one and I was blown away with the interior when I rode in it. I'm seriously considering a '15 CLS400 with the v6 twin turbo engine.

I know the engine is new for this car so reliability isn't a certainty, but how about everything else? I keep reading comments about high levels of road noise for a $90k car, but I have a feeling any sports-oriented car with 19" wheels is going to generate road noise. On concrete roads, my GS certainly does but it's not unacceptable. If I wanted total isolation I'd buy an LS.

Are there any other known, consistent issues wth the latest CLS? Also, how is the service at the dealerships? My Lexus dealership is amazing. They always have loaner cars available, even for the most minor service. Also, I've never had one issue in the 30 months, 18k miles I've owned the car.

I would love input from those who have experience with the CLS. It is a beautiful car.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic
I am on my first CLS (a '14 550) and I am really blown away with this car. I am a Mercedes guy (kind of have to be because I am a Daimler employee), but this is an amazing car that blends sport, luxury and utility and cargo room (with the fold-down rear seats). I have gradually worked my way up the MB models having a few C-Class, then several E-Class and now the CLS. There is literally nothing I can nitpick about the CLS.

However, I do have another favorite MB model and that is the E550 coupe/cab. These cars handle better and are even more fun to drive but of course they are only two doors and have MUCH less truck space than the CLS. But if you don't need the cargo or passenger room, you should consider these cheaper/more fun to drive models. And I think the E-coupe/cab and CLS models are some of the best looking models MB makes.

Note, my CLS is a 4Matic and it really helps the car hustle through the corners with more confidence than our rear wheel drive E550 cab. But I know the rear 285s on the CLS versus the 255s on the E550 have a lot to do with that. But if you really like to drive aggressively in the corners or have a fair amount of rain or some snow in your area, I would highly consider the 4Matic version.

Cheers!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
I'm on my first MB. Just came from a new fully loaded infiniti Q50s that had to bought back by Infiniti, and three weeks ago I had narrowed down my replacement to the new Gs350 f sport and the CLS.

Two words, no comparison. The car is simply amazing both in and out. I had limited time test driving the gs, but IMO is about the same or maybe a tad quieter, but nothing I can remember to be noticeable. The hardest time you might have with the trade will be missing some of the tech and the large screen from ur car in contrast to the MB.

Do it though. You won't regret it. The car is amazing!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150
I'm in the same situation. I have never owned a MB, or any foreign vehicle for that matter. The CLS would be my first purchase and I'm very nervous about hidden issues. What are some of the pitfalls to look for? Particular year better than another?