Chopped / Feathered Tires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2016 | 12:03 PM

2013 Mercedes-Benz CLS 550 4Matic
Unhappy Chopped / Feathered Tires.

Hi Guys,

I am pretty new to posting in the forum, but have been a lurker for a while now. I thought I'd post my problem to see if you guys have had similar issues.

I have 2013 CLS 4 Matic with a noise coming from the tires that drives me insane. Apparently my back tires, not so much my front, have uneven up and down tread wear. I googled it finding that this is called chopped or feathered tire wear. While googling I found out a multitude of things could also be causing the problem besides rotating tires. Even though this is a staggered setup.

Some of the issues that came up: bad bearings, poor alignment, struts, shocks, wheel balance and steering rack problems.

Have any of you had this occur? If so what have you done or what did the dealership do for you?

I bought a set of new tires to remedy the situation for now, but wanted to get further advice. I should probably do an alignment for safe measure.

If you have a solution or story to share please do!

Thanks
Old 04-06-2016 | 03:49 PM

CLS550
Whenever you get new tires do yourself and get an alignment done. Road noise can be attributed to a few different things. And depending on the noise, its pretty easy to tell. Wheel bearings will make a totally different sound then tires, and remember some tires are a lot louder then others. I use to run Yokahama A008's on one of my cars, and although they were really sticky, they were also very very loud. There was a constant drone throughout the cabin. When I switched to Dunlops the noise was gone. I'm running falkens right now and they're ok, not too quite but not too loud.

Good luck with your problem.