newbie with CLS Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n/a
newbie with CLS Question

Dear forum members, I am looking to purchase 2013 or 2015 CLS and wondering if anyone can tell me the pros and cons about them. I am looking for reliable, somewhat fuel efficient, and dependable. Thank you and best wishes.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15 cls 550
I had a '12 and currently have a '15 cls. They're both the most reliable cars I've ever had, Other than a few cosmetic changes to the bumpers, which I don't think improved things, the only change of note is a bigger nav screen in the '15 models. It was a big improvement, though it sticks up on the dash rather than being integrated.
The following users liked this post:
izzy96 (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cls550
Pro:
Amazing power, great standard sound system
Con:
Road noise intrusion (drive an 'S' to see what I mean), heavy car, high hp, heavily cambered rears = eats tires, suspect transmission (dealer replaced factory tranny with reconditioned unit @ 15,500 miles due to shifting problems) - Google "Tiptronic 722.9 7G problems", dealer replaced various parktronic components as the system would alarm for no reason.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. Good luck with your choice.
izzy96 (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 02:37 PM

n/a
Thank you guys for your input. I was wondering if I can purchase CLS without the airmatic suspension? I was told that they can be costly problem at the end. Also, what kind of MPG are you guys getting for your CLS? I am planning to use my CLS as daily driver. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R350 & 2012 CLS550
izzy96,
I 'believe' non-air suspension 550s are rare - so rare I've never seen one - at least in the US. Traditional shocks/springs are standard on the CLS400 but you'll miss out on the power.

Relative to maintenance issues, I had a warrantied $4K repair due to fuel injectors that was problematic with early builds; i.e. shouldn't be a problem for late 2012 and younger models. Other than that, I had an O2 sensor fail at 58K and that's been the extent of any failures.

Air suspension issues? They gave out on my wife's 2008 R350 at about 110K miles. I've got 62K on the CLS and am expecting 100K before changing the shocks/air bladders. I'm betting (if I keep the car that long) that I'll be able to order the parts and have an independent shop do the work for under $2,500.

No transmission problems to date and have not experienced the rear tire eating dilemma expressed above. What keeps me up at night? Timing chain/guide replacement (do a search on the M278 engine and you'll see why) and turbo failures (because they're welded to the manifold and look like they would be an expensive pain in the tail to replace).

Just a word of caution if your new to MB vs other Domestic / Asian brands: the parts always tend to be more expensive, you'll be dependent upon your dealership a touch more for any serious diagnostic issues, and finding a trustworthy independent mechanic is a bit more challenging. If you're prepared for those potential "costs" then you'll be fine. My car has been solid but I also know that when something breaks it won't be cheap.

If you purchase CPO, you'll typically pay a +15% premium for essentially an extra years worth of warranty. Additionally, the MB extended warranty can not be purchased unless you buy MB CPO. After market warranties on the CLS550 are not inexpensive.

If you move forward, you'll love the car - assuming it's trouble free. Solid, usable, low-down power + great build quality and craftsmanship.

Good luck,
Eric
izzy96 (10-04-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM

W218 CLS550
Originally Posted by izzy96
Thank you guys for your input. I was wondering if I can purchase CLS without the airmatic suspension? I was told that they can be costly problem at the end. Also, what kind of MPG are you guys getting for your CLS? I am planning to use my CLS as daily driver. Thank you.
Im getting average 20-23 combined, 17 local, 28 pure highway. Really good for a V8 Bi-turbo. Also test the air suspension before buying. When I want to change the mode from comfort to sport, I always stop the vehicle or change it before I go somewhere, that will definitely avoid excessive works to air suspension cuz our roads are crappy here in WA state.