B Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition
B Service

I got a quote from a local MB Dealership for a B Service @ 50k miles and was quoted $520 + tax. A local indy quoted me $420 inc tax I've looked in the maintenance book and it looks like all they're due to do at 50k miles is change oil and filter, change cabin filter, rotate tires and a vehicle inspection. Does that sound like a B Service? It doesn't seem like much for $520 considering I just had the same done to my wife's Infiniti at a local garage for under $50.

I want to take it to the dealer as it'll be it's first service since I bought it and I want a MB mechanic to give it a good look over to find any other issues but over $500 stings.

This is my first Mercedes so I don't know much, if anything, about their servicing.

Car is a 2012 CLS550
Old 10-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
For a B service at the dealership, that price isn't bad. Yes, it is expensive, given what is actually being done, but if you want MB to give your vehicle a good looking over for peace of mind, it may be worth it to you. It's up to you and whether you had the vehicle thoroughly inspected by a knowledgeable mechanic with working experience on MB cars before you purchased the car. It certainly couldn't hurt to have your 2012 have a good looking over to spot any wear or small stuff before they become larger, more expensive issues.

As for comparisons to other brands or work being done by a local indy shop, it depends on what you're getting. MB, BMW, Audi as well as other luxury Euro brands are all more expensive to maintain than most Japanese brands. Pricing for OEM parts is based on what the vehicle cost new, not what you bought the car for. By the way, even if you bought the parts and oil yourself on your model vehicle, the cost would add up to more than $50. Hourly labor rates run in the $90 to $150 range, depending on indy, dealership and area of the country. So it adds up. Also a good indy with actual knowledge and experience working on MB, and not just some local wrench turner at a Jiffy Lube, is going to cost more money because you're paying for that experience. If service quotes of $420 to $520 sting (yes they are somewhat higher than they should be), then you have two options: 1) One option is of course you to do it yourself. Many folks on this forum do that or 2) Owning a luxury Euro brand, even used, may NOT be the right decision for you. These are not inexpensive vehicles to own and maintain and good indy MB shops are not going to discount their time.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS550, 1994 Chevy K1500
Good thing I watch the credit card spending reports. I don’t think my wife will like the report after my first B1 service on Tuesday. Fortunately, I’ve owned Audis and BMWs, so I won’t be too surprised.

Concur with Paul, the maintenance costs are part of the price of admission.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 CLS550
I am in Memphis and had a local Mercedes shop ( not the dealership) do the service for about half of that....I agree that these cars can be expensive to maintain but a scheduled stop like this costing that much is crazy
Old 10-28-2017, 01:23 PM
OBP

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by TNTim
I got a quote from a local MB Dealership for a B Service @ 50k miles and was quoted $520 + tax. A local indy quoted me $420 inc tax I've looked in the maintenance book and it looks like all they're due to do at 50k miles is change oil and filter, change cabin filter, rotate tires and a vehicle inspection. Does that sound like a B Service? It doesn't seem like much for $520 considering I just had the same done to my wife's Infiniti at a local garage for under $50.

I want to take it to the dealer as it'll be it's first service since I bought it and I want a MB mechanic to give it a good look over to find any other issues but over $500 stings.

This is my first Mercedes so I don't know much, if anything, about their servicing.

Car is a 2012 CLS550
B Service can include an engine air filter change too. I do my own engine air filter and cabin air filter changes. I do not go to the dealer. But then I know my car well - first owner from new.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
cls550 2014
B Services Performed:
  1. Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
  2. Oil Filter Replacement
  3. Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement
  4. Brake Fluid Exchange
  5. All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model.
  6. Tire Inflation Check & Correction
  7. Brake Component Inspection
  8. Reset Maintenance Counter
Mercedes-Benz B Services adheres to all required elements listed by model year and specific model as indicated on the corresponding service sheet for Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Systems in the USA.

There is actually more than listed above, see attached pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY14_Maintenance_Booklet.pdf (1.06 MB, 86 views)
Old 10-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by TNTim
This is my first Mercedes so I don't know much, if anything, about their servicing. Car is a 2012 CLS550
See attached service sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
12 CLS maint.pdf (149.9 KB, 122 views)
Old 10-29-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition
So it turns out that the 50k mile is actually more of an A Service which is $220 which seems more realistic for the jobs which were listed in the maintenance book.

When I got there they were actually going to put it in for a 60k mile service @ 52k miles which I thought was a bit odd considering it hadn't been serviced from when I bought it @ 42k miles. That would have been $890 + tax. I've no idea where they got the $520 + tax number from but happy that I got what I wanted for $300 less than they quoted.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS550, 1994 Chevy K1500
B1 was $400 + tax at my local dealer today. Included everything in Maintenance book as noted by rumb and konigstiger above.