Got my Resonator Removed Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by scyrozyk23
There should be no extra piping. Cutout its just a Y pipe. One entrance (from the engine side) and two exits (one to the muffler and one to outside). There should be day and night difference in sound between closed and open cutout.
Are they opening fully? Did you wire everything correctly?
S.
Wiring is all good, I even have the remote one not the hard wiring so it's all wireless. I can hear the motor open and close just fine and they do fully open.
Here's a pic showing the flaps in full open position Got my Resonator Removed Today-photo530.jpg

Maybe this is how our cars sound without the mufflers I don't know...

I think I need to remove the resonator too and maybe see if that will make a difference...

I regret not turning the car on when it was on the lift with the exhaust completely removed.

I also am yet to find a video online of a cls550 with muffler only delete
Old 04-23-2018, 02:52 AM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Clkboi
Wiring is all good, I even have the remote one not the hard wiring so it's all wireless. I can hear the motor open and close just fine and they do fully open.
Here's a pic showing the flaps in full open position Attachment 416341

Maybe this is how our cars sound without the mufflers I don't know...

I think I need to remove the resonator too and maybe see if that will make a difference...

I regret not turning the car on when it was on the lift with the exhaust completely removed.

I also am yet to find a video online of a cls550 with muffler only delete
My only thought is that your cutouts are at a 90-degree angle or so, which may mean very little exhaust gas is actualky going out the cutout when it’s open due to the more obvious path forward down the pipe to the mufflers. Most of the ones I’ve seen in photos are a narrow Y pipe.

EDIT... Dunno... looking again, it looks like the gas trajectory coming from the resonator would likely exit right out the cutout rather than make the bend towards the mufflers. So ignore that.

Since my car without resonator sounds sounds like a car without mufflers, maybe the mufflers on our car are placebo and the resonator is doing all the work to quiet the exhaust? I could swear that people say resonator delete is better than mufflers delete so there must be some sound difference. Bizarre you can’t find any clips.

EDIT2: Here’s a clip of muffler delete. It sounds very similar to stock..

Last edited by VirtualRain; 04-23-2018 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by VirtualRain

My only thought is that your cutouts are at a 90-degree angle or so, which may mean very little exhaust gas is actualky going out the cutout when it’s open due to the more obvious path forward down the pipe to the mufflers. Most of the ones I’ve seen in photos are a narrow Y pipe.

I was about to post the same thing (I thought the front of the car was the top of the picture) - good job catching and correcting yourself. And for getting it in before I did so I didn't look like a boob.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 e550
On idle difference wont be as much but if you for it it should be very noticeable difference with cutouts open. Its teh same with resonator removed. When idling (After initial start up) it sounds almost like stock but when you floor it it sounds louder and deeper.
btw. Just out of curiosity How did you wire the cutouts? Where are you getting +12v from?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:10 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
So today, I had a X-Pipe added in. This maintained a bit of the v8 growl but is noticeably quieter than straight pipes and has none of what I would say is unrefined muscle car sound that the straight pipes had. My only complaint now is that the sound with the X-pipe is not very loud - I doubt anyone would notice other than me. This is probably because I've lined my trunk with sound deadening material which really seems to have cut down on road noise, and is likely reducing the sound of the exhaust as well. Although even with the window open or the sun roof tilted up, it doesn't have nearly the same volume as the straight pipes did. This is a better solution for me.

View looking forward from the rear axle.

Here's the video... (first 40 seconds is stock, middle is straight pipes, last 30 seconds is x-pipe)

Note the video is deceiving as it sounds very similar in all three situations, but they are very different when driving and the car is under load.

My recommendation to others is if you want a fairly loud raspy and aggressive sound with noticeable back-fires when you let off the gas, go with straight pipes. It's good, but in my opinion, not consistent with the luxury German performance aspect of this car - it's more like an American muscle car sound. Anyone who says they can't hear the difference between straight pipes and stock is probably deaf. It doesn't drone and it's fairly quiet in E mode but there's no mistaking that something has changed. I dare say it sounds like you have bad mufflers or no mufflers. I think the average person will think it doesn't sound right. The most obnoxious sound is when driving in automatic mode and you let the transmission shift around 2000 or 3000 RPM where the sudden change in note after the shift is unrefined... even muscle cars sound better.

On the other hand, I would understand is someone who said they can't hear much of a difference between stock and x-pipe. The difference is more subtle than obvious. The sounds is more refined than straight-pipes but a bit deeper and throaty than stock, but only a bit louder than stock. It actually sounds much better at low RPM with the x-pipe, so if you drive in auto and let the tranny shift as it usually does below 3000 RPM, it's a much more refined sound. It's perfect for me because I want this car to maintain it's original character. I could do with a bit more volume, but I'm not going to spend more money to get it at this point.

Maybe cutouts to bypass the mufflers would be a good combo with a resonator delete with x-pipe... that might be a good split personality option for this car. Another option to consider might be removing the secondary cats as well as the resonator with an x-pipe as that might increase the volume a bit more.

For what it's worth, my exhaust shop manager said that the mufflers on these cars don't do much at all. The turbos get rid of most of the noise, and then the cats and resonator does the rest. That might explain the situation above where the cutouts don't seem to be having much effect.

Last edited by VirtualRain; 04-24-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Here is my status update:

After installing the cutouts and not having any major changes i went ahead and removed the resonator which is not replaced with an x-pipe and we got RRRUMBLEE finally.

Exhaust shop confirmed that my cutouts were properly installed and since these cars have turbos i was not seeing any major difference.

Now to have the car run without a resonator and mufflers would be extremely loud and annoying. Car sounds like a muscle car and its nice at high rpm's but i would definitely not want to hear it on the highway.

I mostly drive with the cutouts closed and open them for some fun occasionally.

Driving without a resonator and x-pipe really makes no noticeable difference. Its a little louder but no one would know but you.

Overall i have concluded that unless we install downpipes ourcars will not sound any better. Removing mufflers and resonators will not give you that nice AMG sound but its nice to have something.

If you guys want a video ill take one and upload it here. I am done messing with the exhaust for now and will install the diffuser and tips soon and call it a completed projected.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
So today, I had a X-Pipe added in. This maintained a bit of the v8 growl but is noticeably quieter than straight pipes and has none of what I would say is unrefined muscle car sound that the straight pipes had. My only complaint now is that the sound with the X-pipe is not very loud - I doubt anyone would notice other than me. This is probably because I've lined my trunk with sound deadening material which really seems to have cut down on road noise, and is likely reducing the sound of the exhaust as well. Although even with the window open or the sun roof tilted up, it doesn't have nearly the same volume as the straight pipes did. This is a better solution for me.

View looking forward from the rear axle.

Here's the video... (first 40 seconds is stock, middle is straight pipes, last 30 seconds is x-pipe)

https://youtu.be/98H6p8Fniyg

Note the video is deceiving as it sounds very similar in all three situations, but they are very different when driving and the car is under load.

My recommendation to others is if you want a fairly loud raspy and aggressive sound with noticeable back-fires when you let off the gas, go with straight pipes. It's good, but in my opinion, not consistent with the luxury German performance aspect of this car - it's more like an American muscle car sound. Anyone who says they can't hear the difference between straight pipes and stock is probably deaf. It doesn't drone and it's fairly quiet in E mode but there's no mistaking that something has changed. I dare say it sounds like you have bad mufflers or no mufflers. I think the average person will think it doesn't sound right. The most obnoxious sound is when driving in automatic mode and you let the transmission shift around 2000 or 3000 RPM where the sudden change in note after the shift is unrefined... even muscle cars sound better.

On the other hand, I would understand is someone who said they can't hear much of a difference between stock and x-pipe. The difference is more subtle than obvious. The sounds is more refined than straight-pipes but a bit deeper and throaty than stock, but only a bit louder than stock. It actually sounds much better at low RPM with the x-pipe, so if you drive in auto and let the tranny shift as it usually does below 3000 RPM, it's a much more refined sound. It's perfect for me because I want this car to maintain it's original character. I could do with a bit more volume, but I'm not going to spend more money to get it at this point.

Maybe cutouts to bypass the mufflers would be a good combo with a resonator delete with x-pipe... that might be a good split personality option for this car. Another option to consider might be removing the secondary cats as well as the resonator with an x-pipe as that might increase the volume a bit more.

For what it's worth, my exhaust shop manager said that the mufflers on these cars don't do much at all. The turbos get rid of most of the noise, and then the cats and resonator does the rest. That might explain the situation above where the cutouts don't seem to be having much effect.
Agreed! 2 different shops have told me the same thing
The following users liked this post:
VirtualRain (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 03:23 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Clkboi
Driving without a resonator and x-pipe really makes no noticeable difference. Its a little louder but no one would know but you.
So, can you clarify... are you saying that a resonator delete with straight pipes makes no noticeable difference compared to stock or driving with a resonator delete with x-pipe makes no noticeable difference compared to stock?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 cls550
Fwiw, I got the secondary cats and resonator removed and I absolutely love the sound .
Old 04-30-2018, 12:24 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Ariesfamous
Fwiw, I got the secondary cats and resonator removed and I absolutely love the sound .
Cool. Have you put any sound deadener in the trunk? Are you still planning to do that?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Banned

2015 cls550

Cool. Have you put any sound deadener in the trunk? Are you still planning to do that?
I'm going to put a sub and amp in soon. So I'll do it then. Hopefully this week.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Banned

2015 cls550
Well yesterday I got around to sound deadening the trunk.
then I laid a blanket in there and crawled in on my back and did the underneath of the rear speaker deck/shelf.
Hopefully this week I will get around to building a box for my subwoofer and wiring the amp up.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 cls550 4matic
I've owned my CLS for 3 years and just got around to doing the res delete this morning. Mine looks exactly like VirtualRain's picture in the first post. Took 1 hour and total cost was around $220.
I can't believe I didn't do this earlier, it's awesome!
Highly recommend for anyone who wants more low end growl and bark in the exhaust. Sure, it's not as refined as the AMG exhaust but it's way better than stock.
Removing the resonator opens up more flow so you get more/louder sound, then you can fine tune the note from there.
Stop thinking about it and just do it. If you don't love it you can add an x-pipe or new mufflers and adjust to your taste.

Last edited by biltrite88; 05-10-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports
Quick questions...is anyone that did this is from California? The reason why I ask is, will this make my smog check not pass?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS 550
Following this thread... Anyone done this with a rentech tune?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 PM

CLS 550
Did this void your warranty ?
Old 05-10-2018, 06:24 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Pekkle
Quick questions...is anyone that did this is from California? The reason why I ask is, will this make my smog check not pass?
It shouldn’t affect emissions at all since the resonator is for sound only but of course don’t remove the secondary cats. However, I don’t know what they look for in your smog check - is a modified exhaust system that doesn’t impact actual emissions permitted?
Old 05-10-2018, 06:25 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Suppaa Mario
Did this void your warranty ?
It shouldn’t.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:19 AM

CLS 550

It shouldn’t.
Thank you for this thread, I'm going to research shops around Orlando that can do this, I wouldn't mind the removal of the resonator and adding the x pipe. Quick question, after you brought it up, the sound coming from the trunk is bothering me now lol can you post the exact sheet you got off Amazon? Did you use double side tape?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports

It shouldn’t affect emissions at all since the resonator is for sound only but of course don’t remove the secondary cats. However, I don’t know what they look for in your smog check - is a modified exhaust system that doesn’t impact actual emissions permitted?
Hi VirtualRain, Hmm.. that sounds true.. I will double check with my local muffler shop and see what they say.. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2018, 01:50 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Suppaa Mario
Thank you for this thread, I'm going to research shops around Orlando that can do this, I wouldn't mind the removal of the resonator and adding the x pipe. Quick question, after you brought it up, the sound coming from the trunk is bothering me now lol can you post the exact sheet you got off Amazon? Did you use double side tape?
Noico 80mil 36-sq ft... this is the link:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s self adhesive.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Past:2010 ML63 AMG, 2011 C63 AMG, 2011 E63 AMG, 2015 C400 4matic & 2014 CLS550 4matic. Now: 2017 C43
Did mine back in March

Hi All,
So I went through this whole thread and wanted to post exactly what I did so that when people do this, they won't waste the time with trial and error.
What you need to do is remove the big center resonator AND the 2 small resonators just before it... And yes, they are resonators and not cat converters, the key hint is no OBDII sensors around them. They also do not have any type of catalyst mesh in them.
That being said, I've owned several AMG vehicles and I cannot be happier with the sound I got from the 550. The stock rear mufflers are still in place. And I asked about an x-pipe when I was at the shop (Federal Muffler) and was told straight out the it would quiet it down and that straight pipes was the way to go.
(I'll post before and after videos shortly).

Last edited by uptownman; 05-24-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 PM

CLS 550
Can you post some sound clips by any chance ? I really like the ops x pipe sound. I don't want it to sound like muscle car.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by uptownman
Hi All,
So I went through this whole thread and wanted to post exactly what I did so that when people do this, they won't waste the time with trial and error.
What you need to do is remove the big center resonator AND the 2 small resonators just before it... And yes, they are resonators and not cat converters, the key hint is no OBDII sensors around them. They also do not have any type of catalyst mesh in them.
That being said, I've owned several AMG vehicles and I cannot be happier with the sound I got from the 550. The stock rear mufflers are still in place. And I asked about an x-pipe when I was at the shop (Federal Muffler) and was told straight out the it would quiet it down and that straight pipes was the way to go.

That's an interesting find... so those two small cans are empty? Nothing inside? I could swear that there are posts confirming those are secondary cats. I even recall a post where someone took them off, removed the catalyst from them, and had them welded back on. It would seem strange to just put a couple of bulges inline like that.

Anyway, while I appreciate your desire to help others avoid trial-and-error, one thing I learned from this is that opinions on what sounds good are meaningless. Everyone has different tastes. I was convinced that straight-pipes was the way to go, until I heard it in person. Even Youtube videos don't help much because the microphones on most people's phone is crap and can't capture the sound properly. I don't think there's any cure for trial-and-error unless you can see and hear someone's modded car in person.

What we can agree on is that the x-pipe does quiet it down considerably... and that can be a good thing, because before I did the x-pipe, it sounded obnoxious to me. But again, that's just my preference. The resonator removal with x-pipe is a bit louder than factory, but not obnoxious. But that's just my opinion. Others might hate it, others might think it sounds like stock. It's so hard to share via words.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

2015 cls550
Originally Posted by uptownman
Hi All,

This is exactly what I did. It's perfection. Love paddle shifting into 1st to a light . Sounds so good.
Cold start in the morning is awesome.
The following users liked this post:
uptownman (05-24-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got my Resonator Removed Today