Creaking in front suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
2017 Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 Cabriolet, 2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
Creaking in front suspension

My wife has a 2013 CLS550 we bought CPO. We purchased the extended warranty when we bought it and we have a couple years left on that but we have had it in now 4 times for a creaking noise in the front suspension when going over speed bumps, dips etc. They replaced both front struts and the front sway bar and now they replaced both lower control arms. Dealer says creak is gone but there is still a slight squeak they are addressing.

Has anyone else experienced this and had it fixed? If so what was the cause? The car has approx. 60k miles on it currently. We love the car but this is kind of annoying... glad we purchased the extended warranty though.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 CLS550
I have the same problem for a 2016 with only 6000 miles on it but never take it to the dealer yet. Will see what they will say and try to see what problem cause this noise other have. According to my experience with other MB I have before, seems like they never able to really fix those suspension noise problem. They just keep coming back. May be this is the MB tradition.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (08-24-2021)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RRS Supercharged and CLS550 (W218)
Maybe it's just an inherent problem with the OEM bushings. From what I understand, most squeaking sounds from the suspension usually originate from the bushings. I don't have this issue as of yet on my CLS but I did with my range rover. I replaced the sway bar bushings and new control arms...all OEM. Mild squeaking came back after 20k miles. I was told to replace the OEM bushings with aftermarket poly carbon bushings. It's been 35k miles since I replaced them and no squeaking. Not sure poly bushings will resolve your issues but maybe this is something you can look into. Maybe check the torque specs on the bushings? Possibly overtightened?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 cls550
Originally Posted by rrsupercharged
Maybe it's just an inherent problem with the OEM bushings. From what I understand, most squeaking sounds from the suspension usually originate from the bushings. I don't have this issue as of yet on my CLS but I did with my range rover. I replaced the sway bar bushings and new control arms...all OEM. Mild squeaking came back after 20k miles. I was told to replace the OEM bushings with aftermarket poly carbon bushings. It's been 35k miles since I replaced them and no squeaking. Not sure poly bushings will resolve your issues but maybe this is something you can look into. Maybe check the torque specs on the bushings? Possibly overtightened?
funny you mention that. I had the exact same thing on my Range Rover and it was driving me nuts every time I drove through a Starbucks and had to listen to my truck squeaking away. So I went to the driveway and raised it up to the highest level crawled underneath and gave every single bushing in the front a good shot of lithium grease, or something along that line. I can't even remember what I grabbed now, but the problem was solved and has been now for over a year and a half.
hopefully it's something just that simple.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 CLS550
So, it means the MB dealership couldn't even fix something "that simple" or they just want to make it complicate to charge the money?
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (08-24-2021)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 cls550
Originally Posted by harryTAM
So, it means the MB dealership couldn't even fix something "that simple" or they just want to make it complicate to charge the money?
Well, we don't know that's the cause yet..
Just giving some ideas to try and help

But dealerships are notoriously dirty like that.....
Old 04-20-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RRS Supercharged and CLS550 (W218)
Probably should just try what Ariesfamous did on his rover. Get under the car and spray some lubricant on the all the bushings and see if it resolves the problem. You'll have to remove the bottom plastic liner to get to the stabilizer/sway bar. If I remember correctly, it's just a bunch of 10mm bolts that hold it in place. I'll be surprised if that doesn't resolve the "squeaking" at least temporarily.