2013 CLS550 4Matic Engine Fire - Total Loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 Lexus LC500, 2020 GLE350 4Matic, 2005 Jeep Wrangler
Exclamation 2013 CLS550 4Matic Engine Fire - Total Loss

Unfortunately, I lost my CLS550 to an engine fire last week and am shocked how quickly the car can ignite to the point where the fire was completely out of control. I was fine but was also horrified to watch my car essentially burn to the ground. Luckily the fire department arrived fairly quickly and put the fire out before further damage could occur, but it was too late and my insurance company wrote off the car as a total loss.

After conducting some quick research on-line, I discovered that a recall was issued due to some underhood trim that can fall off and drop behind the engine resulting in potential engine fires. I quickly contacted my local dealer to find out if the recall was performed as I purchased the car pre-owned and wasn't aware of the recall when I bought it. To my surprise, they said the records indicated that recall repair was completed, so I have no idea what happened nor does my insurance company.

Here is the link that details the actual recall.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-for-fire-risk

Please check your VIN number history to be assured that the repair has been completed if you have one of these vehicles.

Regardless of the fire, I loved the CLS and will likely purchase another very soon. I like the improvements M-B made to the 2015 CLS and am considering one now, but am also concerned about dropping down to the TT V6 from the TT V8 I had in my previous car. I drove the CLS400 yesterday and was fairly impressed with the performance and acceleration. However, I have been driving around in a 4 cylinder Buick Lacrosse hybrid as a loaner vehicle since the fire and can't tell if I am impressed simply because of how slow the loaner vehicle is.

Any thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
patrick_y (06-23-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition
Ouch! Sorry bud, that's unlucky. At least no one was hurt.

Thanks for the heads up on the recall. I'll check that mine has had the work done now.

Maybe you need to go out in another CLS550 if the TT V6 is feeling fast. lol. I'd take a pre-facelift 550 over the facelift 400 any day.