2014 CLS 550 Stuck on Curb... PSA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS 550, 1994 Land Cruiser, 1965 Mustang, 1994 ATK 605 ESDS
Exclamation 2014 CLS 550 Stuck on Curb... PSA

This happened to me... Airmatic Suspension

Stopped at a diner for some dinner a couple months ago. Pulled into the parking spot, went in and got a bite. Get back in the car and go to back out. Ohh a noise?! Low and behold! The front end had lowered and was now sitting on the concrete curb... so.. not wanting to rip the front splitter/valance off, I get out to take a look... One of the rebar nails holding the curb in it's spot was caught up on the splitter (there were individual curbs in each parking spot). Hrmm... so, I had my better 1/2 get in the driver's seat and hit the RAISE button. That helped a little bit, so, I found a place to lift and not cause damage... This sucker is heavy... Anyway, we got the car off the curb without making a mess.

Just keep an eye out when parking - Lesson learned... don't need to get all up on the curbs!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
My question is this....since I don't have Airmatic suspension...why did it lower when you backed out? Shouldn't it have stayed in the up position you left it in?
Old 12-15-2018, 01:43 AM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by rustybear3
My question is this....since I don't have Airmatic suspension...why did it lower when you backed out? Shouldn't it have stayed in the up position you left it in?

not sure how the air suspension is programmed in these models, but some cars drop a little if left in the park for a certain amount of time and they SHOULD rise once they are on the ON or started.

I usually reverse park mine and avoid those altogether. Also, sometimes it's easy for me to park reversed than head-in. Because they have a long hood, though the sensors help, but, it's easier for me that way somehow lol

My friend owns 08 Audi S8. He didn't touch it for a couple of days and the car dropped quite a bit and the tires got tucked in. The suspension was fine and no air leaks were found. Some suspensions are programmed like that.