What is the difference between the cls550 blueefficiency and the standard cls550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
What is the difference between the cls550 blueefficiency and the standard cls550

I am looking to purchase one of these cars and it has the blueefficiency logo on it. I have searched and googled but can't really get a solid answer. I know blueefficiency means better efficiency but is this not the same engine in the cars without this branding? They have the same horse power. But when I look at 0-60 websites it shows the blueefficiency as being almost a second slower. Is the engine tuned differently than the standard cls 550 or is there anything i'm missing? I'd hate to get the blueefficiency to find that im limited performance wise as saving gas at the expense of power is not something i'd enjoy.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C43
If you find a CLS of this vintage without the Blue Efficiency badge it is only because it has been debadged. The 4.7TT (or 4.6 as some publications refer to it) is the same throughout the lineup, with 402hp and 443 ft lbs. I don’t like the badge and certainly didn’t buy this car for efficiency but I also can’t complain about the design that puts down so
much power yet still gets what I believe is stellar mpg. On several road trips I have gotten close to 27mpg while still driving at a pretty aggressive pace. I consider that phenomenal.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by Shotime
If you find a CLS of this vintage without the Blue Efficiency badge it is only because it has been debadged. The 4.7TT (or 4.6 as some publications refer to it) is the same throughout the lineup, with 402hp and 443 ft lbs. I don’t like the badge and certainly didn’t buy this car for efficiency but I also can’t complain about the design that puts down so
much power yet still gets what I believe is stellar mpg. On several road trips I have gotten close to 27mpg while still driving at a pretty aggressive pace. I consider that phenomenal.
Thanks I had hoped this was the case but when I do look at multiple sources on the 0-60 they show difference between the blueefficiency and standard cls550. Also when I run the vin on the these cars it says model cls500 blueefficiency while the others says model cls550. Is this all just marketing? I still am not sure the deal with the 0-60 differences is I was guessing mayabe the ecu is tuned different? Shifts may be different? Throttle response etc? Or maybe the 0-60 sites are just plain wrong? I dunno just didn't want to limit myself if I got a blueefficiency model vs the 2013. The price difference is very great between the two years for some reason as well.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C43
From the research I’ve done I see the only difference as being the Blue Efficiency badge placed on 2012 CLS and E550, the first year the M278 motor (4.7tt V8) was offered in those models. There is no difference in the tuning for subsequent years of CLS with that motor, just the elimination of the badge.
As 2012 was the first year of that more efficient engine in those models, they wanted to advertise their named set of technologies used. I suspect the removal in 2013 was a result of confusion just like what is being expressed here. Some other MBZ models with entirely different motors also sport the badge for certain years but for CLS/E550, 2012 appears to be the only year the badge was used (perhaps some early release 2013s?).
Bottom line, don’t get hung up on the badge, there’s no difference. As for 0-60 times, I’ve seen a huge disparity in reported times, from 4.3-5.1...all depends on the testers and conditions.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe Olivine
https://group-media.mercedes-benz.co...ml?oid=9361730

I hope this link opens properly. It is a very concise description of “Blue Efficiency”.

We own a 2012 E350 coupe (Olivine Gray) with the badge.