Strange Comand Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C43
Strange Comand Issue *Resolved*

Last week the Comand wheel in the center console seemed to lose responsiveness, sometimes not registering a turn or requiring 2 clicks to move. After a few days of that it has stopped working entirely. Fortunately I can still navigate by pushing up/down/sideways.

Anyone ever encounter this? I may take it apart and try contact cleaner or perhaps the entire switch needs to be replaced. Thoughts?

Last edited by Shotime; 04-14-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Updated with resolution
Old 04-08-2019, 06:46 AM

C43
After some more online research I found that this Comand knobproblem is all too common, caused by the internal shaft breaking. Fortunately there is a cheap aluminum replacement shaft available, though the main challenge will be in the removal and opening of the Comand knob assembly.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...32449364649662
The following users liked this post:
celmem (04-08-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 07:38 AM

C43
I have the aluminum shaft in hand. Does anyone have instructions for removal of the Comand switch from the W218 console?

Last edited by Shotime; 04-11-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:59 AM

C43
Once I received the replacement aluminum shaft I set about removing the Comand knob assembly from the center console. While the process looked fairly straightforward, my biggest fear was damaging the wood inserts so I turned to the almighty google search to find a descriptive video of the process, finding the following:
This video was quite descriptive of the process and I can honestly say that the hardest part was reassembling and getting the wood insert back in. It requires some muscling but the piece appears to be a bit more robust than I initially feared.

Once the knob assembly was removed from the car I needed to disassemble to replace the shaft. Again, finding instructions online was a godsend as the removal of the knob itself, as well as the circuit board was less than intuitive. Fortunately I found the following and was able to perform the entire process with ease: https://www.youcanic.com/u/ie-works/...ot-working-fix

Overall a fairly simple process and a great way to fix the scrolling problem for $29.95, as opposed to a $300 knob assembly replacement (not to mention dealer service charges).

Apparently this is a fairly common problem so hopefully this information will be helpful should anyone on this board experience the issue.