CLS 400 front wheel noise - HELP!.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E450 4Matic
Unhappy CLS 400 front wheel noise - HELP!.

Hello all,

hopefully someone can help me since this is driving me crazy.
I just recently bought a 2015 CLS400. Completely love it. Planning to keep this car for a while. It has 43,000 miles on it.

Once I got it I realized there is a humming sound coming from the frond end. It is definitely more noticeable at 10-35mph but you can also hear it slightly at 60-70. When you let go off the steering wheel it does have a vibration / wobble left to right. You can actually see the steering wheel move left/right pretty fast.
I checked the rotors and pads their were worn. Replaced all 4 rotors and pads. Braking is much better. Humming and wobble/shake still there.
Checked the tires, they were worn. Replaced all 4 tires and got them balanced.

The low end humming not so much noticeable anymore, but I do still receive them at higher speeds as well as the wobble in the steering wheel.

Very confused. I did check the wheel bearings but there is really no indication for me why they would be bad. Plus the car is at 40k miles which isn't that much for wheel bearings... and no accident.

What do you guys think? Any help would be so much appreciated. Should I get an alignment done or it it pointless? Could this be related?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Marius Weber

Old 12-16-2020, 10:18 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
I would do an alignment, considering it is part of the suspension and it might affect driving, but lets wait for others' input, see what they say.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:42 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
Yes, could be the alignment or the wheel balancing issue. I'm not expert on the suspension components and that's where my knowledge ends lol