So much to learn!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 07:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic, 2013 Audi A6
So much to learn!

Thought I'd say hello to you folks.

I put money down last week on a 2014 CLS 550 4-Matic. I'm coming off about 20 years of Audi. I've had A8's and A6's. Mostly all sport package cars, all of them fully loaded up top of the line models. I have had many to say the least, but I got an itch to try a Benz. Found this CLS 550 up by my work and went to check it out last week. I fell in love with it even though its lacking some of the things I really wanted. It doesn't have Active lane assist or Distrionic. It has passive lane assist but otherwise its loaded up nicely with all the other options. I've been looking for a loaded up S 550 and looking for over a year to find the right one which is what I've now decreed impossible to find.

This CLS 550 I bought is a low mile 4-Matic at only 41,000 miles, new brakes and tires and has a nice clean CARFAX, so I pulled the trigger on it. I'm keeping my existing Audis for now, but I know I'm in for some pain trying to figure out all the settings and know its going to be a big learning curve. I'm sure I'll be asking some dumb questions, but I've been scouring the forum and reading the PDF manual on my computer for now. I pick it up Wednesday and am stoked to be trying my first Benz at the age of 59. I can see MB does things way different than Audi does already. I really like Biturbo V8 power, the HK sounds system, the power, the sweet comfort of the dynamic seats, the awesome interior and ride of the airmatic and that is what sold me on the car. I hope its as reliable as most all my Audis have been. I put a lot of highway miles and typically run them to at least 200K miles.

The following 6 users liked this post by KnappAttack:
ALFAitalia (06-27-2023), ChrisHimself (06-30-2023), cobra357 (06-27-2023), OBP (06-27-2023), RavenCLS (06-28-2023), Tbbt CLS (07-01-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-27-2023, 04:26 PM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2013 Weistec 540/715 tuned CLS 550, 2008 E350, and '07 Jaguar S-Type R
Great choice and super-low miles. These are indeed awesome cars.
When you get the urge to terrify some muscle cars, opt for Weistec Engineering's relatively inexpensive ECU tune - 540 HP, 715 Lb-Ft torque - the thrust is intoxicating :P
The following users liked this post:
RavenCLS (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 05:11 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
That is a low mile car. Welcome.
New brakes at 41K miles? I wonder about that....I wonder why they had such a short life. Was that rotors and pads?

Good luck and keep it clean! (nice color)
Old 06-27-2023, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667
That is a low mile car. Welcome.
New brakes at 41K miles? I wonder about that....I wonder why they had such a short life. Was that rotors and pads?

Good luck and keep it clean! (nice color)
According to the Carfax they have all been replaced rotors and pads yes. And I can see all four discs are brand new as well.
It looks as though the car has been serviced by a Benz dealer its entire life on Carfax too. So typically I see the dealers push this replacement stuff IMO to make some money and sell sell sell.

I know my way around a wrench and do all my own service work. I don't like anyone else even touching my stuff and look forward to seeing what this this Benz is all about. I like what I see so far.
My Daughter is giving me a ride in tomorrow to pick it up. I got to take it myself on a long test drive and get a feel for it. I REALLY like what I see so far. I have to admit I didn't think I'd like it as well as I do. I knew a few miles down the road I was in love and would pull the trigger on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnappAttack:
hyperion667 (06-27-2023), Siegmann (07-03-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalDisaster
Great choice and super-low miles. These are indeed awesome cars.
When you get the urge to terrify some muscle cars, opt for Weistec Engineering's relatively inexpensive ECU tune - 540 HP, 715 Lb-Ft torque - the thrust is intoxicating :P

I'm thinking about running it stock for a bit. I know all about running turbocharged snowmobiles and am actually a dealer for Hurricane performance out of Canada, who are one of the leading tuners in the snowmobile world. They hold the 1/4 mile speed record at 203 MPH at the moment.

Myself, I'm a 24X ISR World Snowmobile Drag Racing Champion and build race engine and chassis for myself and others. I gave up drag racing a while back, yet still have quite a bit of fun on 300HP pump gas trail sleds to keep the juices flowing. I've been on 700 HP turbocharged asphalt drag sleds and been upwards of 178 MPH in the 1/4 back in the day when NHRA still let the Outlaws run the 1/4 mile. Good times!

I was leaning towards the forum sponsor of OE tunes when they have a sale on them. They look close to what I'm used to doing on the snowmobiles with the flasher and flashing into the port. I like the fact you can swap them in or out of the ECU in a few minutes. They also come highly regarded from my MB buddy that I do the work on his sleds. I have a few questions of course about the tunes, and will eventually give them a call at some point to discuss. FYI we can flash tunes in our sleds using the iPhone, and they even have a bundle that can be loaded on the flasher and changed instantly and on the fly with a handlebar button or the iPhone. Evidently the auto ECU's are not capable of this yet or the tuners haven't figured out how to do this. I believe it has to do with how much information can be stored in the ECU.
Siegmann (07-03-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 04:55 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 CLS550
Congrats. I bought mine 2 years ago and came from a big BMW background. Mine is a 2012 and had 41K when I bought it. It's been 100% reliable every single time I have started it, she starts. Mine is tuned and still has given me zero problems. Enjoy!!
KnappAttack (06-28-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 07:21 PM

Wow what a car! I have had it a few days now and am starting to figure it all out. I'm sure I still have a lot to learn, but man am I impressed with this car! It drives so effortlessly, rides so well and is just fabulous. The stereo is really fantastic as well. Having had the wonderful High End Bang and Olufsen stereo in my A8, and moving down to the Bose piece of crap in the A6 I'm coming out of, this Harman Kardon is a nice welcome relief too, which is surprising to me for it is just the base stereo in the CLS. I got 27.4 MPG going to work and back today and was amazed with that as well, not bad for a twin turbo V8. The stock power is so nice to have on a hot day. Really glad to have found it close to home being so clean and having low miles.

I'm sure I will keep finding little things on it as time goes on.

How close is the dash digitalreadout to hand calculated mileage? Is it pretty close or is it out to lunch? I know the speedometer digital is spot on to the the GPS readings, I checked it today while on the highway.

Will I need anything the the Vag-Com tool like I used on the Audis to check codes, clear codes and reset service minders and maintenance items? I'm sure Mercedes much have something they use for code reading and clearing, although I haven seen anything mentioned like that yet in going thru the forum, but it does seem really quiet here, nothing like the AudiWorld forum which seems to have more traffic and people conversing.

RavenCLS (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 10:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2014 CLS550
Welcome!
I have the same car, although black and I think you will love it. Mine had 60k miles when I bought it in Sept 2020.
74k now.
I have owned MB's since 1984. 10 different models. During that time, I also owned 3 BMW's. Never owned an Audi.
At my age, I am not interested in getting under the car or taking on mid to heavy repair jobs.
I have a very trustworthy independent mechanic and a reasonably rational dealer.
There are no issues with my car. A couple features that I don't care for like ECO that is "normally on" and "E" - "S" shift modes that is normally on "E".
Every time I start the car, I have to turn off ECO and switch to "S" shift mode.

The "pull" from the twin turbos will make you smile.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:15 PM
SPONSOR

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome, beautiful car!

A popular choice for code readers is the iCarSoft MBII / V3 models. This will allow you to check most modules and clear codes.

The M278 has great tuning potential and is considerably detuned from the factory.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 CLS550
Congrats!!! I agree about the Audi forums, I was on Audiworld and Audizine probably 10 years ago when I owned an Audi, and it's an extremely active forum. Other models get more activity around here. But if you post something in here, people will chime in.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:34 PM
SPONSOR

Received 376 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
welcome! I'm always impressed at how good the CLS looks. it's an MB icon

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
Old 07-01-2023, 12:57 AM

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic OE Tuned
Welcome! I've using OE Tuning Stage 1 for over 4 years now on my 2013 CLS550 4Matic and had zero issues with it. You can't beat their pricing and great customer service. Give them a call and let them wake up your CLS550!
Old 07-04-2023, 12:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Wow what a car! I have had it a few days now and am starting to figure it all out. I'm sure I still have a lot to learn, but man am I impressed with this car! It drives so effortlessly, rides so well and is just fabulous. The stereo is really fantastic as well. Having had the wonderful High End Bang and Olufsen stereo in my A8, and moving down to the Bose piece of crap in the A6 I'm coming out of, this Harman Kardon is a nice welcome relief too, which is surprising to me for it is just the base stereo in the CLS. I got 27.4 MPG going to work and back today and was amazed with that as well, not bad for a twin turbo V8. The stock power is so nice to have on a hot day. Really glad to have found it close to home being so clean and having low miles.

I'm sure I will keep finding little things on it as time goes on.

How close is the dash digitalreadout to hand calculated mileage? Is it pretty close or is it out to lunch? I know the speedometer digital is spot on to the the GPS readings, I checked it today while on the highway.

Will I need anything the the Vag-Com tool like I used on the Audis to check codes, clear codes and reset service minders and maintenance items? I'm sure Mercedes much have something they use for code reading and clearing, although I haven seen anything mentioned like that yet in going thru the forum, but it does seem really quiet here, nothing like the AudiWorld forum which seems to have more traffic and people conversing.

I also have the Harmon Kardon sound system and I am very please with it. I believe the '14 CLS came with a B&O system as well as Bose in later models.
My fuel consumption will stay consistently at 26 mpg hwy, 22 around town. My engine has been tuned, however.
There are a few creature comfort features that you might like:
- On sunny and warm days, while parked in a lot, the interior will warm up quite a bit. If you point the key fob at the drivers door handle, hold the unlock button down, all windows will open and seat cooling fans will come on.
This is nice before getting into a hot car.
- In colder weather, the heated steering wheel is nice if you do not wear gloves.
- The Comand system is very deep. Lots of features. I recommend reading that manual.
- If you plan on driving in the snow, you will find the 4Matic drives better than most SUV's. Even with those 11" wide rear tires.

Regarding diagnostic tools. If you plan on doing most or all of the maint. service, I believe the general consensus here is go with the MB Star system.
It will read out all parts of the car, engine, trans, brakes, suspension, etc. with MB specific codes.

Lastly, you came to the right place. A wealth of knowledge and experience here and all sorts of characters.
Use the search feature and other forums to home in on your quest.
KnappAttack (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 06:20 PM

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic OE Tuned
Look up and join the W212 Owners Club. yes, I know your car is not a 212, however the owner of the forum is Amir Miladi and he is a magician with our cars. He is the Ace with our computer systems. He can do coding via remote from Tunisia and knows what he's doing. You can trust him to take care of your car as he's done for many Club members, including mine.