Anyone else with this problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2005 | 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spyker C8, MB ML63 AMG, land rover
Anyone else with this problem...

Also posted this in the AMG section, but just so folks don't miss it:

As a proud new owner of a black on black CLS55 AMG and generally loving the car, I awoke this morning to notice some pretty obvious hair line scratches on the rear bumber, on the top of the bumper and just adjacent to where the hood closes.

Confused the heck out of me in that I've only taken the car in for two brushless washes and also used a damp and clean chamois in that area one time, which is my guess as to what caused the problem. What seems to be happening (a guess at best) is that there's a layer of dust that accumulates on the top of the bumper (you can see it), and even though I keep it garaged, when I wipe with the chamois, the dust particles scratch the surface of the bumper.

My brother-in-law simply wiped an area of the bumper with his finger and it left a scratch. VERY STRANGE and it looks to me as if the bumper paint job is either not up to MB paint standards or something else is happening. At this stage, it is only the bumper that is doing this, but is obviously driving me nuts.

Any help?
Old 03-27-2005 | 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I thought that the nanotech paintjob was scratch resistant? I have the same problem with dust accumulating on the bumper, even if I don't drive it. I wipe it down but with a CLEAN moist (spraying it with quick detailer) microfiber cloth and drying it with another clean microfiber cloth.

I make sure that I keep the MF cloths in a large sealed container (I got mine at Wal-Mart) so that dust or any other particulates don't collect on the MF cloths.

As far as your brother running his finger along the paint and scratching it...the only way that should happen is that there was a particulate under his finger AND he was putting some pressure while he ran his finger along the paint. I've done that myself and it didn't leave a scratch...
Old 03-28-2005 | 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
Thats not good! Better check and see if the dealer had it touched up by a body shop before you recieved it. They often go for the quick cheap paint job.
Old 04-02-2005 | 08:53 AM

Spyker C8, MB ML63 AMG, land rover
Originally Posted by Natalie
Thats not good! Better check and see if the dealer had it touched up by a body shop before you recieved it. They often go for the quick cheap paint job.
They now seem to think that the bumper (and just the bumper) never got properly sealed at the factory for some reason. In either case, my baby will go in for a look see next week.

Last edited by swisstrader; 04-02-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2005 | 02:09 PM

Airbus
Sorry to hear and make sure they fix it to your satisfaction. When our 530i was delivered new by truck from an out of state dealer, everything looked great. A few days later under flat lighting I noticed what looked like some raised patches in the clearcoat. Took it to a friend to look at and he said either the car has been repainted and/or the clearcoat was contaminated with silicone. $&#@! We had quite a battle with BMW &%*$! To make a long story short, we won out and they paid to have almost the entire car color sanded. It was a flaw from the factory.