CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

What to buy? CLS500, CLS55, or other

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2005 | 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 993, Audi A4 Avant, Honda Odyssey
Question What to buy? CLS500, CLS55, or other

Folks - I'd love your thoughts here. I'm currently driving a 993 and an Audi A4 Avant. I'm looking at upgrading either or both cars soon, and would like to commiserate with you guys. I've been beating myself up for about a month now.

I've looked at:
BMW 545 Sport - only OK - love the outside, can't warm up to the inside, and for $65k, my 5 year old Audi has a more luxurious interior. Love the engine and it gets 25mpg. Hate BMW attitude.

Lexus GS430 - way too insulated, I'm not old enough to drive it yet

Infinity M45 sport - I don't like the exterior, but a dam find peice of engineering as far as the guts goe. Lots of trouble with the 4.5 motor burining oil too - Noo much cash for a Nissan

I'm driving the Acura RL today, but can't get past the mental leap of no V8

I'm driving the CLS 500 on Monday - The care is flat out beautiful - inside and out. The interior is a touch feminie for me, but I'm in love with the car as a whole. For not much more $ than the BMW, seems to have great stats - 5.6 0-60mph, and 25 mpg. And not many people have them.

Here's the catch. If I step up to the CLS500 - I might have to get rid of the 993. Any of the above cheaper cars, I'd dump the A4. The CLS is also only RWD, and frankly if I'm getting rid of the 993, I should just go for the CLS55, as I wold miss the ***** out handling prowess of the 993. How is the CLS in the snow?

So if I do CLS55 at $90k, and get rid of my 993, why would I not just to a 997 Porsche? - I might do that, but I like the 4 doors and the automatice of the CLS. A 997 tiptronic you say? I can't see a Porsche with a slush-box tranny, but MB's are supposed to have automatics - Iknow its another mental thing.

I'm also a cheapskate. I buy all my cars used and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

What were some of the thought processes you guys went through before settling on your current ride? Help another car guy out.

Many thanks, Aaron
Old 06-17-2005 | 12:22 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS55 all the way...if you can get into a dealer auctions....they go low last week 06 slv/charc went for 74.9 great deal..found this out after I purchased the 500...
Old 06-17-2005 | 12:41 PM

something fast
What?? Are you sure it was a cls55?? How many miles were on it?? Some dealers are still paying over msrp for cars, I find it hard to believe a car, especially the most desirable color combo silver/charcoal would go for almost 20k off msrp.
Old 06-17-2005 | 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
cls55 this way if you get rid of the 993 you have something that can rip apart most cars... 0-60 4.5
also you wont have to pay insurance on 2 fast cars
Old 06-17-2005 | 01:19 PM

2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
The 5 series is nasty period. I disagree with you completely on the GS, the GS is a young drivers car, i had my first when i was 17 and bought a second when i was 19, still a great car, even with the new body resembling a maxima. Agree on the M45, too much for a Nissan. Dont waste your time on the RL if you are really considering the CLS. Agree with you on the CLS being the nicest looking car in and out. Im not a Porsche guy, its a glorified beetle, id take the CLS55 anyday over just about any porsche out there, probably even a GT!! As far as saving any money, dont expect any big savings for at least a couple years, these cars dont drop like others. i doubt youll get a 55 for 90k, but good luck!!!

just my .02
Old 06-17-2005 | 03:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ajf1
What?? Are you sure it was a cls55?? How many miles were on it?? Some dealers are still paying over msrp for cars, I find it hard to believe a car, especially the most desirable color combo silver/charcoal would go for almost 20k off msrp.
yup it was a 55...I was going insane myself...but from what a friend tells me (he attends tons of the MBZ auctions open to dealers only) the car may have had elec. problems and been returned due to them....if I had know I would have purchased the car myself....this is all hear-say I didnt see it with my own eyes...
Old 06-17-2005 | 06:47 PM

Airbus
Wow. Going that cheap it must have had serious problems.

Imho I would go for a 55 No brainer if you are "dumping" the 993.
Would lust to have the CLS55. Too long of a list, too much over sticker around here and I won't have to sleep out in the garage with my CLS500.