CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Taillight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 320CDI
Taillight Bulbs

Our user guides tell us that one cannot individually replace taillight bulbs but instead should replace the whole panel at the stealership. This is true but not entirely...Today I took apart the taillight in my pursuit of "de-yellowfication". I found out that the yellow bulb that I so desperately want to replace with a chrome one is soldered to the panel. It is not too difficult for someone to unsolder the old bulb and solder the new one in, but where would we find a replacement bulb? Also, who would be capable of doing such a precise soldering job? The bulb reads PH16WY, then L415UI on the bottom. The other 3 clear bulbs read PH16W, then K441MK on the bottom. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails Taillight Bulbs-pict0431.jpg   Taillight Bulbs-pict0432.jpg   Taillight Bulbs-pict0433.jpg   Taillight Bulbs-pict0434.jpg  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 PM

220CDI
Thous bulbs are not for sale. I didn't find then in Philips catalog. Whot I did: When one bulb died I ordered the new plate. It cost abbout EURO 50. In my plase delivery is 15 days. I took regular bulb 15W, model 921, soldered it onthe plase of PH16W and glued with hot glu. It works proper and computer dues not understand the difference.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 PM

04 e320 W211
Alexey, I want to do what you did to my 06 E320 wagon. I looked up the 921 bulbs and i see it's 18w. You said 15w. Can you confirm this? a link would be cool to.

Also you said you hot glued it in. I see that the original is in a ceramic casing. Since this bulb is a tail light / brake bulb, are you having any issues with the gule? Or did you remove the bulb from the ceramic and install the new on into it?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 CLS550
According to this Sylvania Lamp Replacement Guide http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm
the Rear turn signal, Tail light and Stop light are all LEDs. It's hard to tell from your pictures the shape of the bulb base. A 921 bulb is a 15mm Wedge Miniature Bulb. If that will work, you can get a chrome coasted amber 921 bulb at XenonMods.com http://www.xenonmods.com/chromebulbindex.htm

Let us know how it works out and please include before and after pictures.

Last edited by Art-by-Art; 04-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Mercedes E Klasse - E200 CDI / W211
Unhappy

Hy guys. I have exactly the same problem on my W211 E200 2006 - the brake bulb on the right is burnt/black. I was amazed when I read that the whole board needs changing... it's absurd to throw away all the rest of the bulbs just because one is burnt. Tomorrow I'll go and buy a few 16W, almost identical bulbs from a car parts dealer that I talked to today, and hopefully I'll get it fixed with the help of my dad. Keep you posted as well.

Also, I have to say, this really enraged me, and for me it was the last straw. I loved Mercedes since I was 4 or 5. I've had mine now for 2 years, and there is so much cheap material on these cars that I'm amazed (especially cheap plastic that breaks in time, or cheap rubber, etc.). Also the thing that everything is hidden and super inaccessible, even like bulbs, is such utter crap... People can't be bothered to go to the stealership for some total nonsense and leave 50-100$ just like that. I wanted to buy in the near future a CLS 320CDI, but I think I'm gonna go BMWs way, because I just can't take it anymore... Next step: to email a "strong" letter to Mercedes Central, to the Board and to other executive positions around the world... and give them what they deserve:
Attached Thumbnails Taillight Bulbs-1.jpg   Taillight Bulbs-2.jpg   Taillight Bulbs-3.jpg   Taillight Bulbs-4.jpg