CLS problem again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:38 PM
bhr
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS problem again

Today I was driving my car again and when it was downshifting from second to first the car started jerking again strongly... the jerking only happened in the first week I has the Car, and now it does it again....

Anyone who had this problem please comment...
Old 10-19-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
do you think you could describe the jerking? is it continuous? or only during the gearchange? how many miles have you had it?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:13 PM

cls
I had the same problem, when I would slow down for the stop light the car would downshift from second to first, like a hard shift. I took my car in the dealership that same week because I had the ESP problem (not related) and told them about the problem. The mechanic basically told me that it was the adaptive learning in my car computer and it was trying to learn my driving pattern. I was driving my car easy for the first 1000 miles and the computer would downshift and upshift early because my driving pattern. He said the best way to get rid of it was to drive my car like a race car. This problem went away when I stated driving my car hard, because now the computer will shift at a higher RPM. This may sound like BS, but it worked and this is what the mechanic told me.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Almost a Member!

E63 AMG
I noticed in the manual (after-the-fact) that it says to keep the car in "C" mode during the break-in period. This prevents the car from using 1st gear. On a related note, even after 5,000 miles, I do occasionally notice that the car has a minor jerk when shifting into or out of 1st gear. RM
Old 10-20-2005, 03:00 PM

2006 Edition CLK 280 Coupe
I found the same with my CLK actually. I really hated it at first and sometimes now, it drives me nuts. I find the car shifts too high too fast, thus giving me next to no acceleration unless I floor the car.

I'm at around 8,000 miles or 14,000 km's at this stage and I never use C mode anymore.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 159 Posts
You should not have to drive in C or experience any hard shifting/jerking in the trans...it's just not normal. I've had 5 MB with the adaptive trans and its never shifited hard or jerked. There have been issues with the new 7 speed transmission which can require full trans replacements. Search the 211 E class forums