CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

SMS Bug -- MB won't fix -- Help me protest!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 2003
Angry SMS Bug -- MB won't fix -- Help me protest!

There's a bug in the current version of the COMAND software when it's used in conjunction with the new phone interface. While Mercedes acknowledges that the problem exists, they have stated flatly that they have no intention of fixing it. Why I pressed the issue, the essentially told me to perform a bodily function in my hat.

Here's the bug: The COMAND interface fails to check the phone's SMS inbox on initial handshaking. The result is that the head unit can only access SMS messages received while the phone is connected in the car. Messages received while the phone is out of the cradle are not available.

Also, messages are lost from the COMAND if the car is turned off and then turned on (the messages are there in the phone's inbox, but it's just as if they had been received "out of cradle").

It's obviously a bug. I had an '03 E500 and the SMS feature worked perfectly, so much so that I wrote a little script for MS Outlook to send details of the days appointments to my phone as an SMS message. I was then able to use the COMAND head unit to call up appointments, addresses, etc. It was lovely.

As Mercedes won't do anything about this, I'm hoping some of you will join me in complaining to try to put a little pressure on them.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Was it the dealer, MBUSA representative, or both that refused to fix it?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:09 PM

E500 2003
SMS problem

The response came from the MB customer service center (all the dealer was able to say was that I was running the latest version of COMAND and that he was aware of no updates.

The frustration grows.

I would have been perfectly happy with the response that yes, they knew about the bug, and they would try to fix it in a future software update. The response I got was just downright rude.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by BillP
The response came from the MB customer service center (all the dealer was able to say was that I was running the latest version of COMAND and that he was aware of no updates.
Ask your dealer to put you in touch with your Regional MBUSA Service Parts and Operations Manager (SPOM). Regardless of what the CAC said the SPOM should have relevant info as to the flaw and the efforts being made to correct it.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:31 PM

E500 2003
Mercedes has officially told me to go s*** in my hat.

After many phone calls and letters, I was just contacted by a "Mr. Perez" of the customer assistance center. Mr. Perez wasn't really contacting me to help, he was the fellow assigned to give me the bum's rush.

He gave me a line of hooey about how the old interface worked differently because of the "coiled cord" and that the new interface couldn't be aware of SMS messages received when the phone was out of the cradle because of the lack of the "coiled cord."

I asked him to explain then how the phone was able to fetch the "voice mail waiting" indicator flag even if the flag was set when the phone was out of the cradle, but it wasn't able to fetch the SMS bank. He had no idea what I was talking about and basically hung up on me.

Arrgh.

I'm hoping, hoping that someone else has a) noticed this problem and b) cares so that I'm not the only one contacting Mercedes.