CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

What CLS be this??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
What CLS be this??

Hi All, I am an R129 owner, but I think your CLS's are beautiful. Maybe I'll even get one some day.

But . . . today, I'm driving from Los Angeles to Long Beach, California, USA southbound 710 and I see an CLS body car with distributer plates (in California, dealers get a "DLR" plate, and distributers/importers get a DISTR plate -- sometimes you can see a new model or a mule and other similar cars around Long Beach -- huge importing center).

Anyways, I see the CLS body and it looks a little different, so I try to fight my way through the Saturday morning stop and go traffic jam to get better look (can you believe it? traffic SUCKS here). I catch up and there are no badges on the car -- I could only see the sides and back, not the front. Looks like a CLS, brand new -- but nothing to indentify it as a Mercedes or a CLS.

Okay, so what was it? And don't say, "I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you."
Old 03-20-2006, 08:07 PM

CLS500
Originally Posted by mebeJOE
Hi All, I am an R129 owner, but I think your CLS's are beautiful. Maybe I'll even get one some day.

But . . . today, I'm driving from Los Angeles to Long Beach, California, USA southbound 710 and I see an CLS body car with distributer plates (in California, dealers get a "DLR" plate, and distributers/importers get a DISTR plate -- sometimes you can see a new model or a mule and other similar cars around Long Beach -- huge importing center).

Anyways, I see the CLS body and it looks a little different, so I try to fight my way through the Saturday morning stop and go traffic jam to get better look (can you believe it? traffic SUCKS here). I catch up and there are no badges on the car -- I could only see the sides and back, not the front. Looks like a CLS, brand new -- but nothing to indentify it as a Mercedes or a CLS.

Okay, so what was it? And don't say, "I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you."

What you seen could have been the new CLE.... I've been reading Mercedes will release a lower version of the CLS based off the new C-Class with a lower price point. Strange because it won't be introduced until after the next C-Class in 2007 as a 2008 model.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM

cls
I see new body style cars in that area alot. Mostly the dark-blue Michigan MFG plates on U.S. built vehicles and the DISTR plates on Import built vehicles. I saw the S550 and CLS more than a year before they were for sale here in the U.S.

It turns out that there is a EPA facility in Long Beach that new body style cars have to be smogged, real-time tested, and fuel economy tested before they can be sold in the U.S. If you look closely to the vehicle you'll see two laptops on the passenger seat with all kinds of sensor plugged into it.

I saw the SMART car with no badges, painted with flat-black stripes, and laptops inside driving around.....maybe the SMART will be imported in soon?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:24 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Well, perhaps it was a CLE and not a CLS. I found this link to a CLE photo:

http://www.automobilemag.com/2007_sn...edes_benz_cle/

The car I saw could have been that car, but I couldn't get close enough because of the traffic . . . at anyrate . . . another beautiful body by MBZ.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 2009, W115 Pullman & EQC
Wow thats nice..
(and new to me)

Thanks for the link
Old 04-09-2006, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
No way you saw a CLE at this point, besides the CLE is just pure speculation right now. You likely saw a CLS with one of the various aftermarket tuner kits or something...there is no CLE running around with MFR or DLR plates yet. That would mean that the car has been shown and is nearly ready for sale....the CLE (if it does happen) is more than 3 years off at best.

M