CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

No Airbags!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLS350 (lemon)
I got a call yesterday and was told that new software has been installed for the engine and the transmission (although i was under the impression this had already been done) and this has 'improved the operation of the transmission'. Im due at the dealership in 30 minutes and im taking the car out with the head tech. If the problem is gone i'll take the car and my aditional warranty. However, im certain it will come back as most people with this problem have found. If the problem is still there and they refuse to do anything further then let the campaign begin!

I have an ad agency working on it as we speak, the drafts are looking seriously good, its going to hit all the right buttons. I'll be sure to post it here for all to enjoy! I think its time Mercedes understands that theres only so much crap customers will put up with before they start fighting back. They hold themselves out as selling a premium product then they need to back that up when things go wrong.

Furthermore I have been told by the dealership that they are unable to give me a print out of all the work done to my car (supposedly the system wont let them if its warranty work) ???? You would think i have a right to know what has been done to my property.

Once againt thank you all for the support.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 AM

2003 ML500 Sport
Originally Posted by SydBenz
I got a call yesterday and was told that new software has been installed for the engine and the transmission (although i was under the impression this had already been done) and this has 'improved the operation of the transmission'. Im due at the dealership in 30 minutes and im taking the car out with the head tech. If the problem is gone i'll take the car and my aditional warranty. However, im certain it will come back as most people with this problem have found. If the problem is still there and they refuse to do anything further then let the campaign begin!

I have an ad agency working on it as we speak, the drafts are looking seriously good, its going to hit all the right buttons. I'll be sure to post it here for all to enjoy! I think its time Mercedes understands that theres only so much crap customers will put up with before they start fighting back. They hold themselves out as selling a premium product then they need to back that up when things go wrong.

Furthermore I have been told by the dealership that they are unable to give me a print out of all the work done to my car (supposedly the system wont let them if its warranty work) ???? You would think i have a right to know what has been done to my property.

Once againt thank you all for the support.

You've got to be kidding me! They are unable to give you a print out of all the work they've done to YOUR car?? That is unacceptable! They are obviously trying to hide somthing...for all you know they did nothing...

If I drop $130k on a car thats in the shop every week and i keep getting the run around, i would of flipped out a looong time ago . I really think you should take legal action and have the car replaced or your money...Good Luck man!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLS350 (lemon)
Well I have my car back. I went for the test drive today with the technician and the harsh downshifting isnt happening. This software update appears to have done the trick, although only time will tell. So I have taken the car back for now and accepted the extra six months warranty as compensation for my inconvenience so far. I have made it clear that should the problem return I will be returning the car promptly and expect it to be replaced.

I wanted to avoid legal action but if it comes back and they still refuse to do anything then I have no choice. Would love to see my lawyers at clayton utz tear them a new one, but Trade Practices and Consumer Law is not exactly straight forward here. Any item over 50k and the statute doesnt apply. But it wouldnt be a stretch to say that the product has not been fit for its intended purpose.

Its a shame I never got to use my ad, it would have been very entertaining. But I have it ready to go should I ever need it, wasted a bit of money there but it provided plenty of entertainment.

On that note lets hope its smooth sailing from here and I can finally enjoy the car, hope I won't be seeing the dealership for at least twenty thousand k's.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:11 PM

Hey fellow drunken Aussie,

How has your car been since your last update?

Was considering purchasing a 2007 CLS, but your experience has made me somewhat hesitant!

And which dealership was this? Marshalls? Were they uncooperative to the point of being rude and arrogant? Or were they still receptive to your concerns?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLS350 (lemon)
The car was originally purchased from Marshalls, but avoid them at all costs I only bought from them as they had a customer cancel an order so I was able to jump the que.

The car has been serviced at Merceds Airport Express. Unfortunately the software upgrade only fixed the problem for a few days and it is now back. I dropped it off on Friday June 30th on my way out of the country. I took it for a drive with the service manager(for a second time) and much to my dismany the problem did not present itself. However, as im abroad for a month I left it with them and told them to drive it cold. They have since done so and the problem has occurred multiple times. They say they now want to replace the valve body and are waiting on approval from upstairs. If this doesnt fix it then I assume the next step is a new transmission all together. Fingers corssed they can fix it by the time i fly back into the country.

Will keep you all posted. I know this is a problem that a large number of owners have experienced so it would be nice if they could establish a definitive fix for it so other customers don't have to go through the long and drawn out process that I have experienced.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:21 AM

Wow. Sorry to hear that the problem has recurred.

I guess that ad you paid for might not end up being for nothing after all.

Does it appear Airport Express is taking an interest in your case and trying to fix your problem? Or do you get the impression that they consider you a nuisance?

A complex car sometimes may come across complex problems, but when you've paid $140K+ for a car and it's barely function, it would be disgusting and obscene if Mercedes Benz were to treat you with anything less than the utmost concern until the problem is solved. I hope that is what you're experiencing, because at this point in time if you say "Shine my shoes" every MB person involved in your case should be on their knees.

Where are the lemon laws in our country?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLS350 (lemon)
At this point I am sure they consider me a nuissance. They are still not going out of their way to make sure I am happy with what they are doing. Promises to call me and keep me informed are never kept and I am always having to chase them up to make sure that they are doing their jobs. The GM will always come out and say hi when I arrive at the dealership although quite clearly there is no sincerity in the concern but rather it is a token gesture.

As I am out of the country for the next three weeks I figured I should give them one last chance to rectify the problem for good. If it isnt fixed by the time I return then the ad and my lawyers are on standby.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLS350 (lemon)
Update!

After 12 days of having the car the dealer decided that there is "too much clearance in one of the clutch packs" If any one can shed some light on what this means exactly I'd love to know.

They have removed the transmission and are 'rectifying' this problem. The State service manager has 'guaranteed' me that this will fix the shift problems. If hese that confident about it im wondering why this wasn't the recommended fix from the first instance.

Has anyone ever had this done to their car and if so was it successful?

Im supposed to have the car back by Tuesday the 18th. They've have been working on the transmission since the 12th so why it takes six days to fix im not sure???

Thanks again!