CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Udate on CLS550 or SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Udate on CLS550 or SL550

Thought you might be interested on what took place.to get the whole gist of the thread..go to the SL500 board or just click on recent posts by me....

Thx for all your quick replies. So this morning I went to look at the car and had copied out the prices that ebay and others are offering...as much as 7K off!! Plus proof that Kelleys were listing my CLS500 at $58,250 at trade in value. The car is beautiful, however, I didn't realize the amount of black contrast in the desigo white edition which did put me off just slightly. regardless, the SL550 is gorgeous. Wife also liked the car and thought the seats were more padded out and comfortable than my CLS.
Went directly to the Sales Manager as I didn't want this car salesman "I'll be back in a second and talk to my finance guy" crap and layed my cards out on the table and told him that I am not here to play games but the price you are offering me on my CLS is too low and how come others were selling up to $7K off Msrp? He totally ignored me showing him the blue book quotes and said that they probably included the AMG sports package which they shouldn't, yada, yada, etc, etc and ended by saying that if I came to deal forget about it as he had already discounted the car by 3 grand.
I told him we would think about it this weekend and he would get back to me by Monday, perhaps. (He appeared to be quite confident and I already felt a decision not to deal with me on any negotiations that I had in mind was in his game plan).
Said goodbye to him and went to have another look at the car when a Salesperson appeared and told me that he would wager a bet with me that the SL550 would have been sold within 2 hours???????????? Good luck to you I said and promptly forgot about it. Within 1 hour the Sales Manager rang and said I have some very sad news for you(who died I thought). The car has already sold. I told him well done and he said another identical one is coming in 4 weeks, would I be interested? Wasn't sure I replied and we left it at that.

So I don't know what to make of it all apart from the fact that Naples is a booming area with too many rich fools or suckers(or both) but sometimes it's best to take a back seat, as there will always be a deal somewhere else, but I did want to try and continue our relationship as I have found their service to be excellent and wasn't sure how I would be treated by purchasing elsewhere and having my service there. To the poster who said lease....your figures make sense, but I don't want to lease, as I already have just 2 years lease left on My LMB C6(which I absolutely love, although she is a garage queen)
To others who say it makes no sense whatsoever to lose so much money through depreciation, you are also right..however, a bus could run me over tomorrow and I don't particularly want a used car and if so, I would need to meet somebody who is as fanatically obsessed as I am with even going through a car wash, who Zaino's his vette to perfection..in other words who has lovingly looked after it and with very low miles..difficult to find these days and I had one bad experience on a 2000 vette through ebay....................and sometimes as you know, all is not what it appears to be and when I had niggling problems on the CLS500 to begin with, my dealer always took care of me and even had Mercedes give me free new front set of tires as I felt that the car was sounding like a ***** on steroids.................however this was due to the service dept's prompting and help as they have good people there.................................Well, thats my story, so I will plod on and to the poster who said for that price I could get a used Bentley GT........................how used And to the poster who said for an extra 25K I can get a Gallardo..........................no way jose............. but I appreciate all your comments!!! I like mercedes, always have done. Might just get me another CLS but with the new engine...mind you, will still possibly have the same dealer problems, although I will shop about slightly further afield..........
Best to you all.........................