CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Any Former E500 owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Any Former E500 owners?

Im thinking about getting out of my 05 E500 and getting into the CLS. I was just wondering what former e people thought othe cls. It seems to be the same car on paper. Any thoughts on the looks and how you feel -driving the e vs. cls? I am so afraid of switching only to find it's the same car and Im spending more money. Im getting tired of the bs for maintence on my e and want to just lease a MB from now on.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
Well, I went from an E320 CDI to a CLS320 CDI, so it is a similar transition.

I had sold the E and intended to buy another one, but the dealer had the CLS on the lot. I have always loved the look of the car. In the end, I decided that the looks were worth the slight loss of rear headroom, and the total loss of the 5th passenger seat (this could be a problem for some people).

I now think the E looks like your grandmother's car, and the CLS is the business.

Also, the CLS is a relatively new shape and won't be updated for 5 or 6 years, whereas the E is over the middle of its life cycle.

I am very happy, but in fairness, the CLS is a slightly higher spec than my E, and the engine and gearbox are the new V6 and 7 speed, so the mechanicals are not directly comparable.

All in all, I would say if you don;t mind the 4 seater bit, then go for it.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,445 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Leasing verses owning, the argument will go on forever. I paid cash for my previous 03 e320. First time I paid cash in years - never again, back to leasing. Anyway to summarize the CLS IMHO: Show stopper looks, dead silent interior, quality throughout, and last but not least great handing and performance which has been improved for 07! Furthermore, 14 months into lease and absolutely no problems – really not one! And I’m a perfectionist. I might also mention that rear leg room will be compromised a bit in coming from the 211. Nevertheless I have yet to hear any complaints from passengers. Most prefer the individual seating arrangement inclusive of the wood accented console over the 211 bench style. Trade up, you won’t be sorry.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 AM

05 E500
Thanks for the input. I whole heartedly agree about leasing a luxury car now. Hopefully, I wont be too upside down at this point and can into a decent lease.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:56 AM

E500 to CLS550

Funny, I just read your post, and I just purchased a CLS550 last night (traded my E500). Personally, I think that the E500 has a little more feminine look to it, which is one of the biggest reason I traded it. The CLS looks more sporty and sleek. I actually turned quite a bit of heads driving this thing in the city last night. I love this car.

However, I do think that the E500 has a better view (specially the side and rear views). Performance-wise, you cant really compare the 500 with the 550 engine.

Bottom-line, if you want a sporty look, while keeping all 4 doors, this is the car to get.