CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Blue Smoke From Exhaust CLS 320CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Smoke From Exhaust CLS 320CDI

Hi All

We Have a CLS 320CDI (Diesel), our car is coming up to one year old, since buying the car we have noticed blue smoke coming from the exhausts. This happens when we have been driving for say 30mins or so as we slow down to approach a junction or roundabout etc.. Its a large cloud of blue smoke and also the coolant/engine fan kicks in??. The smoke only lasts a few seconds but the engine fan stays on for another 20-30mins. Since we have had the car this has probably happened about 12 times or so. We have spoken to mercedes and the car has been into mercedes and they say it is to do with the burn of filter and this is apparently normal? There is no way they can say this is normal for a new car. The car is 06 plate with approx 15,000 miles. Can anyone shed some light on this? any help would be great

Thanks

Roy
Old 02-28-2007, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
pics of the car?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How fast do you normally drive before this happens? The reason I ask is that I have heard about the filter burnoff cleaning function, but it it supposed to happen undetected. My thoughts are that the car is driven too slowly for enough heat to be created for this to happen properly. Either that or there is something wrong with the system. I believe the procedure involves the engine changing the injection timing in order to produce super hot exhaust which is then given a straight injection of diesel. Seems like this is happening with too much raw diesel being injected and/or too low of a burn temperature. Either way, this is far from acceptable or normal.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:37 PM

CLS 320 CDI - Dino Ferrari 246 gt - Ferrari TestaRossa
Originally Posted by krozor
Hi All

We Have a CLS 320CDI (Diesel), ...... when we have been driving for say 30mins or so as we slow down to approach a junction or roundabout etc.. Its a large cloud of blue smoke and also the coolant/engine fan kicks in??. The smoke only lasts a few seconds but the engine fan stays on for another 20-30mins. Since we have had the car this has probably happened about 12 times or so. We have spoken to mercedes and the car has been into mercedes and they say it is to do with the burn of filter and this is apparently normal? There is no way they can say this is normal for a new car.
Roy
Hi Roy. Just the same for me on my 7.000 Km CLS 320 CDI 2007 (with APFilter) . Some differences and affinities: the large cloud of smoke comes after only 5-10 minutes of normal drive, for me too during stop or junction approaches. I put it in relation with the 1st gear automatic selection, surely selected that times (the car doesn't seem to put in 1st gear every time you are slowing down to stop. By the way the 'Sport mode' sometimes has extravagant behavior keeping high RPM without need during normal drive). The first time the cloud was very large for about 5 -10 seconds. The next 3-4 times the cloud was every time smaller. MB dealer checked levels suspecting oil eccess, but it was normal (at max). They gave a confused explanation about passage of oil from .... to.... (moving hands) but nothing was clear. A thing is sure : every time, when I stop after these smoke signals, the exhaust gives out a crakling noise for some minutes when normaly it absolutely doesn't emit any sound.
Now the oil is 5 mm lower than max and the clouds are minimal, even if sometimes they can deceive the parking sensors. I will pay attention if fans go on or not during this phenomenon. I you have news , please inform us.
Ciao. Flavio
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 AM

C class c 320 CDI combi
Hello

Hello guys,

Did you find a solution for the smoke problem? I have posted a simular problem today.

Regards, Jan
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 AM

bmw
Does this fit rhd cars

Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 AM

bmw
Does this fit rhd cars