CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Lease or Buy ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007 | 08:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lease or Buy ??

How many people lease rather than buy, pro and cons need some help new to leasing

Thanks
Old 03-11-2007 | 09:54 PM

2007 CLS 550
I lease because it's run through my business - but I think the best benefit of leasing is that I don't have to argue with my wife. I just tell her, "It's been 36 months and it's time for a new car"!
Seriously, the CLS 550 is fantastic! And that's coming from a BMW fanatic - I've owned 6 BMWs in a row. I looked at the 650i, but I need a back seat occcasionally and there's no way with the 6! The CLS is beautiful, powerful, and every bit as well-built as the BMWs that I've owned!
There are pros and cons to both choices, but you are definitely on to the right car!!
Old 03-13-2007 | 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Depends on a few things but these days I'd say lease lease lease every time. The depreciation on these cars is ridiculous and you will be glad you lease in 39 months. But here are some things to consider if you have to..

1) Do you own a business or do you work for a company?
2) How many miles a year do you drive?
3) How often do you buy (or like to buy) a new car?
4) How important is having a nicer car?
5) How good are you at negotiating when it comes to purchase/sale of cars?

Depending on how you answer the above I can tell you for sure if you should buy or lease but until then, I would err on the side of lease just for the messed up depreciation on these cars.
Old 03-14-2007 | 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I am considering....

trezaei, I do not know how he will answer. BUT here are my answers:

1. I own a business and work corporate.
2. 15K at least
3. Every 5-7 years.
4. Not much, I like to have problem free (pretty much) car. So, I do tend to like higher end cars.
5. Pretty good, I am about to sell my 300M. Carmax, offered me $4K, when the Bluebook value is listed at $7K. I told them NO THANKS.

I guess I should buy? I am really leaning toward getting a CPO, or used rather than a new CLS to lower the depreciation hit. Advise?

Old 03-22-2007 | 07:07 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by bigben320e
trezaei, I do not know how he will answer. BUT here are my answers:

1. I own a business and work corporate.
2. 15K at least
3. Every 5-7 years.
4. Not much, I like to have problem free (pretty much) car. So, I do tend to like higher end cars.
5. Pretty good, I am about to sell my 300M. Carmax, offered me $4K, when the Bluebook value is listed at $7K. I told them NO THANKS.

I guess I should buy? I am really leaning toward getting a CPO, or used rather than a new CLS to lower the depreciation hit. Advise?

With those characteristics, you should almost certainly buy rather than lease, depending on how much over 15K/ year you drive. Long term leases are rarely good deals, nor are lease buyouts, especially since MB is artificially pumping uup the residuals on many cars. If you like to keep your car at least 5 years, I think you should buy, but be prepared to purchase an extended warranty when the time comes. CPO might be a good choice for you too.
Old 03-22-2007 | 11:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Lease, if you plan to change your car within 2-3 years or so. Buy, if you really plan to stay with the car for more than 5 yrs. Its all personal preference. I would still lease a Benz.. Like the post above says you still drive a nicer and newer car. That's just me..
Old 04-04-2007 | 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
I lease.. I own a mortage company so I lease cars as a tax write off "business vehicle"..haha

My leases usually are:

39 months
15k miles
$10k down

Personally prefer leasing... its just me.. makes more sense than blowing $100k for a car all at one time.

Oh.. and also.. I love having the newest car on the block haha