CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Automatic Trunk Closer - Can it be closed manually?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS550, 2008 BMW 335, 2007 Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Automatic Trunk Closer - Can it be closed manually?

So I've had my car all of two weeks before someone rear ended me at a stop sign. No visible damage other than minor scuffing on the bumper. Parking sensors work as do all the lights. Anything else I should look for underneath the bumper?

One thing I noticed is that I can't close the trunk except using the automatic closer. I can manually close it all the way but it doesn't latch. I never tried it before so I don't know if it's normal. Anyone know?

I'm going to have it checked by the dealer anyway but I'm anxious to know if there is likely unseen damage.

TIA
Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
I have the same thing, and don't think you can do it manually.

Originally Posted by pkalona
So I've had my car all of two weeks before someone rear ended me at a stop sign. No visible damage other than minor scuffing on the bumper. Parking sensors work as do all the lights. Anything else I should look for underneath the bumper?

One thing I noticed is that I can't close the trunk except using the automatic closer. I can manually close it all the way but it doesn't latch. I never tried it before so I don't know if it's normal. Anyone know?

I'm going to have it checked by the dealer anyway but I'm anxious to know if there is likely unseen damage.

TIA
Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
closing manually is fine. You probably have to reinitialize the trunk closer at the dealer.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:40 PM

2007 CLS550, 2008 BMW 335, 2007 Harley Davidson Fat Boy
Originally Posted by sunil @ motorwerks
closing manually is fine. You probably have to reinitialize the trunk closer at the dealer.
Are you sure? I took another look at it and noticed that the metal loop on the trunk lip retracts when opened. When I close it using the button, it moves up to meet the latch as the lid comes down but if I push the lid down by hand, the loop doesn't move.

I also noticed that my headrests sensed the impact and deployed forward.

I wonder what else the car does (that needs to be reset) when it senses an impact.

Thanks for your help.