Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
CLS550....Powerchipped!

I had the ecu tuned yesterday at Powerchip

I put a full writeup on mymbonline, so I'm just going to copy and paste it here

Link to the original thread: http://mymbonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14601

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just got back from Powerchip. The whole way back I've been kicking myself about waiting this long to do it. And the kicks are getting harder by the mile. This is the best tune I've ever had on any car. It's that amazing!

The details:

2008 CLS550, bone stock...so far

First of all, my biggest gripe about the CLS is the slooooooow shifts, especially on the 1-2 shift. Huge pause, shifts to second, and takes off again. I hated that from the first time I redlined the car, until this afternoon when it was finally resolved. My second gripe was the top speed limiter. A 382 horse V8 engineered on the Autobahn should not be restricted to 130mph. It's criminal.

So, I paid a visit to the awesome guys at Powerchip. Some of you know I had chipped the E350 as well, with good results. I kept tweaking the tune over time to my personal liking, since I'm picky, and was VERY happy with it. WIth that in mind and knowing the 550 will get better gains, I let the magicians work their magic on this car too.

First impression: the car was shifting like a normal car! Almost like a shift kit for you domestic slushbox racers. The shifts are that fast and crisp now. Not hard enough to chirp the tires, but just right to make me smile right off the bat. It had a nice midrange pull too, but I needed more time to make sure. Lastly, the top speed limiter. Jumped on private test course closed to the public and ran right to 160 with no hesitation. Strong pull all the way through, and was still pulling very hard when I let off. I'm going to take an educated guess and estimate a true top speed of about 175.
Also, MB limits the torque output in first gear. That was taken care of as well and it REALLY pulls nicely starting right around 3k rpm and straight to redline.

Just like any tune, the more you drive it, the better the tune learns your driving habits and adjusts accordingly. The best thing is to rack up the mileage. So I drove about 120 hard miles after I left. Simply put, the car is VERY responsive. With the engine at full operating temperature in 80 degree weather, the car felt like a cool crisp morning. That's the easiest way to describe it. Now I'm curious how it'll feel in the mornings!

I'm tickled happy right now. I can't wait to see the results with a bit more time behind the wheel. More torque, more top speed, fast shifts, stronger pull. I'm in love with this car all over again.

A HUGE thanks to Travis and Jeremy @ Powerchip AND Ed @ HMS. Ed was the reason I took my business there the first time around, and I love the results more and more each time.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
mind to tell how much did they charge for ECU Tune???
Old 10-25-2008, 01:34 AM

a toy
Retail is $1490.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
Nice, goodluck with the tune. I have a clk550, does the powerchip void the waurenty? How does it affect your cars reliability?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM

a toy
Well, the dealer won't know just by looking at it, and I won't be sharing that info with them anyway. So the warranty should not be an issue. Just don't let them know about it.

As for reliability, they seem to be the safest tune out there. I've heard many horror stories before, so there's a reason I went back as a repeat customer. Some tunes promise increased gains, but I feel more comfortable with a safer tune.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
Originally Posted by Roupin
Well, the dealer won't know just by looking at it, and I won't be sharing that info with them anyway. So the warranty should not be an issue. Just don't let them know about it.

As for reliability, they seem to be the safest tune out there. I've heard many horror stories before, so there's a reason I went back as a repeat customer. Some tunes promise increased gains, but I feel more comfortable with a safer tune.
The reliability is deffinitly good to hear, if the dealer were to find out would this void the waurenty?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 PM

a toy
Originally Posted by Finalforce
The reliability is deffinitly good to hear, if the dealer were to find out would this void the waurenty?
If they can blame a failure on the tune itself, yes. So if the engine blows for any reason, they will try to deny coverage.