CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

CLS On Track, Round 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
CLS On Track, Round 1

I had the pleasure of driving and instructing at a track day at Miller Motorsport Park (Tooele, UT) last week with the LappingDays.com group. This was my first track day with the CLS550 and I certainly pushed it a bit, but I kept the stability program on for now. It is obviously a heavy boat, but did OK. Based on some initial tire temperature tests, I'll start my next track session with 38psi front, 34psi rear.

The fast run group had lots of GT3 Porsches, a bunch of M3s, 2 Nissan GT-Rs (owned by the England Trucking family), a Corvette Z07, twin turbo Evo, etc. I've run my previous M3 and SLK55 with this group, but I figured it was too fast a group for the CLS, especially on my first on-track day with it so when I was not instructing, I ran some hot laps with the slower group.

Overall, I was very pleased with the CLS -- particularly that there was less body roll in the Sport 2 setting than I expected. The stock brakes are the weak link for extended lapping. I could smell them throughout the sessions. The photo below is taken approaching the very late apex of a low speed turn that leads onto the front straight.

I ran the track wheels and tires (Bridestone RE-01R) that were "left over" from my SLK55. Although they are slightly undersized for the CLS, they are sticky and as wide as the stock Continentals that are on the CLS wheels. I'll make another report after an upcoming track weekend and Driving School in Pueblo, Colorado with the BMW Club (on a track where I've had over 1800 laps over the past 25+ years.)

Here are the tire temp that I took after some hot laps at Miller MP. For track events with these tires, I think this looks pretty good for starters -- perhaps another pound or two on the front and right side (mostly left hand turns.) Outside temps will increase as I push harder in the turns and turning off the stability program will heat up the rear tires. I'll take more temps in Colorado with the stock tires. (Also, see my separate post on TEST: Tire Temps and Pressures for the Street.)

Air Temp: 74 F, Cold Pressures: Front 38psi, Rear 34psi

Left Front - 38psi - Right Front
Outside Center Inside | Inside Center Outside

158 --- 155 --- 160 --|-- 162 --- 154 --- 157
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Left Rear - 34psi - Right Rear
Outside Center Inside | Inside Center Outside

150 --- 150 --- 146 --|-- 156 --- 147 --- 144
Attached Thumbnails CLS On Track, Round 1-clsatmmp1small.jpg