CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Bare wires for low beams and service rant.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS500
Bare wires for low beams and service rant.

So I recently purchased a CPO'ed CLS and loved everything about the car but the horrible headlight output (no bi-xeon option). Hoping to at least improve the output a little bit I picked up a set of philip extremes. While going to put them in I found that the low beam wires look to have either melted or peeled off and strangely on both sides but all other lights look fine.

I had to take the car in for a few minor things and brought it up to the service manager. They called me back and said it was no big deal since both lights are working, and after some complaining they said they would tape the wires securely to insure that I dont have problems in the future.

Got the car back today and went to check the job they did and find the following (see pics). I am really afraid of either a short while driving at night or worse yet causeing an electrical fire.

Am I out of line to expect them to replace the wiring in the headlights?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 AM

2006 CLS500, 21" Interad Turismo Wheels, Renntech Lowering Module
Not sure if this is the case, but depending on the bulbs your using, or that were installed previously to you taking ownership, they may run too hot for this car.

I've heard of melting wires, harnesses and bulb housings because of bright white and HO bulbs on other cars. Part of the reason why they are brighter than stock is because they demand more power, so they get hotter, and the gauge wiring has been designed to only support stock bulbs, so although they work, the wiring can't take it, so they melt.

But either way, they did tell you that all they were going to do was tape them up, so what were you expecting to find? If your car is under warranty, then ask them to replace the harness.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM

CLS500
It's possible the previous owner ran higher wattage bulb then intended how would I know... The fact that I purchased this vehicle three weeks ago as a cpo (and still under warranty) from the SAME dealership why should that be my problem?

Maybe it wasn't clear in the pictures, the wire is bare for at least 6" on the positive and they taped the first 2", maybe. The negative is bare going up into the housing, and at the edge of the housing the positive and negative are bare and about 1/4 inch apart from each other.

I have asked for them to replace the harness, and they refused stating they are not touching so it shouldn't be an issue with the operation of the vehicle... Car is back at the dealership after numerous phone conversations with sales and service basically point the finger at each other but now they are looking at it again... I haven't heard back yet.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM

2006 CLS500, 21" Interad Turismo Wheels, Renntech Lowering Module
If it's under warranty then their should be no argument. I would contact MBUSA and file a complaint if they continue to give you a hard time. There's just no excuse for that if it's covered under warranty.